“Not bad but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Portuguese, Seafood
Petaling Jaya
“Not bad but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We tried the open-air food court at Portuguese Settlement, Malacca for the 1st time. Reaching there was easy as used the Waze navigation system. Trying to find the place without GPS or people who know (to guide you) may cause you a problem. So use the GPS.

I was startled when I alighted the car, there was a middle-aged man standing nearby outside my door and looking at me, and asked 'dinner?'. It became clear soon, that arriving patrons will be swarmed by staffers of the eateries, who will ask you to go to their stalls (referred by numbers, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc) These folks can be very persuasive and will follow you until you decide to sit at a table. So beware and be prepared. We sat at a table under 'number 4'. Anyway, we found out most of the foods are the same, doesnt matter which number you choose. Plenty of seafood fares, and of course the famous Portuegese Baked Fish and the Devil's Curry.

Food-wise, they were ok, not bad but nothing that surprises us (being Malaysians ourselves). We had the baked fish (ok), buttered scallops (average), kangkong belacan (ok) and lemon chicken (ok). Service was just average. They hassled you seat at their tables, but will take their time to deliver the food.

My kids love looking at the nearby lanterns being released to the sky (by a lantern vendor or two). That's quite a nice spectacle.

Beware of the very rude middle-aged man (are you for real, mister?) manning the toilet behind the stairs. As my wife was having her hands full with our baby girl, I took my 4 year old son to follow me to the toilet. It was me who need to use the toilet. Toilet entry was 30 cents (still need to charge despite us being the patrons of the foodcourt?) but he tried to tell me off for wanting to bring my son into the toilet to wait for me. He demanded I pay for 2 persons : I said no, my son is just there to wait for me finish peeing! The man had the gall to suggest I should leave my young son outside the toilet! I was having none of it and pulled my son to follow me into the toilet. He must be oblivious to all the reports about child-abductions or unscrupulous characters looking to take advantage of any situations!

For me, this guy gives the Portuguese Settlement food court a bad name.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“Nice and cheap seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Apparently, people come here for the seafood. I would say it's nice, cheap and really worth for the money to have the seafood here. They have a variety of seafood but I guess not those superb or heavenly seafood like abalone or such. It is extremely breezy in the night. Would recommend to others.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brooklyn, NY
“the real deal, great food and lots of it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

This is not the easiest place to get to when visiting Melaka. There is a bus that comes here, but I made arrangements for a taxi from my hotel. The taxi will drop you off in the parking lot just outside of the restaurants. They are nothing to look at, a big long outdoor hall with about 12 restaurants that basically all look the same. Ask at your hotel which is their favorite; I've had dinner at '1' and '9'. They all have names but I forget them. The service is friendly and efficient. The portions are large. the food is freshly prepared and excellent. Don't be distracted from the seafood. Anything with devil curry will be out of this world good. The prawns were the biggest I have ever enjoyed anywhere. This is one of my favorite places to eat on the entire planet. Simple, reasonably priced, and delicious. I always enjoy hearing Malaysians ask me if I like the Portuguese cuisine served here. No one in Portugal would ever recognize any of this food. It's about 1000 spicier and more flavorful than anything they would eat. Enjoy!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Terrible restaurant I ever met!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

They are scared me n keep following after we alight from the car.
Horrible experience with bad food n bad service!!
In the nutshell,prices are not cheap at all!!

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Interesting and tasty food...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

After being exposed to all the locally-available food, this Portuguese food place brings a fresh change.

Sitting in the open air, with the sea breeze constantly blowing nearby, the atmosphere here is almost carnival-like, with people busily eating, in a relaxed environment.

There are many stalls located along the stretch of the building, and we went to stall 2. The group of us ordered a number of dishes, and one of those that stands out would be the simple but tasty fried brinjals. The seafood dishes are all done nicely too.

Will definitely go there again during my next trip to Malacca!

• Visited January 2014