“Jonkerdee! How can I forget?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jonkerdee Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Melaka
Jonkerdee Hostel
You added Jonkerdee Hostel to your Saves list
25A, Jalan Kota Laksamana 1/2, Taman Kota Laksamana, Melaka 75200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #1 of 67 Specialty Lodging in Melaka
London, United Kingdom
“Jonkerdee! How can I forget?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I used to walk past this Hostel with its signboard on which hangs a cage with a spotted dove in it (bird singing or bird voice competition category). Below is a patch of garden (cultured) that grows and there too, sits a cage but it houses a rabbit of the "Angora" breed of a rare colour of black, white and grey, long soft hair with a lion's mane around the neck or head originating from Ankara, turkey, historically known as Angora.
Inside the Hostel, you'll find a little pond with Koi and gold fish.

I would stop every time I came to this patch and gaze and admire this miniature garden. Occasionally too, I would peek into the interestingly decorated stairway leading up to the Hostel.
I guess I was one of those who mistook Jonkerdee as probably an expensive Hostel. But how wrong I was!!!

At other times, as a passer by I would see a gentleman wearing a straw hat, good looking and handsomely dressed watering this miniature garden.
Many a times we nodded and smiled at each other. Once the gentleman said "Hello, you must be a regular somewhere, seeing that you frequently pass this way". I replied, "Yes! I just seem to love the vegetarian restaurant, a few doors away from you"

You see, I am a British National, retired and every year I spend several months in Malaysia, most of it in Malacca and Penang.
This time however, after having read all the reviews about Jonkerdee Hostel on TripAdvisor
I decided against the norm and stayed at Jonkerdee, that many have described as fascinating, magnificent, outstanding, distinguished, very great and extraordinary!

I must say I am Impressed, amazed and filled with wonder. A lot of ingenuity and "soul" has been applied in making this place 'extraordinary'. What's even more amazing is, it's a "one-man show". The owner is also the manager and the host who welcomes you with his gracious and outstanding hospitality and service!
What a 'feat' to overcome and an achievement for the sake of his guests' comfort and reassurance (an amount of dedicated and diligent work you hardly find anywhere) even for those who have workers or staff working for them.

A lot has also been invested here and it's not just the monetary or material value involved but also creativity and artistry, vision and imagination, interests and ambition, courage and originality, effort and determination (in tireless and laborious work just keeping the place proper, clean, tidy and ticking around the clock), and of course the mostly Spiritual or Soulful part which is the "core" as you enter into the World of Jonkerdee!

My journey into the World of Jonkerdee happened when I took that decision and finally turned up at its door and rang its bell. The handsome gentleman with the straw hat soon appeared and spoke saying, "Good morning, how can I help 'Lady Passer-by'?

With that I ended up staying at Jonkerdee. What makes Jonkerdee Hostel unique is that almost everything has been given the "Midas Touch" by the owner. He has transformed the simplest of things into a magnificent "objet d'art" with his creativity and very special touch. Take for example all the furnishing in the hall, originally they would all have looked plain but with his special touch they now reflect the look of royalty.

There are "touches of Gold" objet d'art and intriguing gold ornaments, along with some gold coloured linen blended with intricately carved wooden objects and figurines tastefully and artistically scattered around creating a regal and royal look and atmosphere or ambience within its walls. I couldn't help but myself feel regal and royal, too. Regal and royal at a very, very affordable, inexpensive price.
It's not just the beauty of Jonkerdee that's attractive but also the great hospitality, ease and freedom within, approachable and smooth communication, open and borderless friendliness, top-notch guest service, safe and peaceful atmosphere and surrounding, affordable and inexpensive, unwavering smile and a warm welcome all add to Jonkerdee Hostel now being "tops" in my list.
What a small price (personally I felt) to pay for an enormous task and gesture of hard labour and superb service involved on the part of the owner/manager/host, a trinity (but all-in-one) indeed!
Certain aspects of this unique hostel reflects or resembles that of a Malay Sultanate Palace of the past that chronicles the Malay-Arab or Arab- Malay influence with curtained chambers, strewn with carpets of intricate designs/patterns on the floor, while glittering beaded curtains hang from above like of old. Another scenario reflects an interesting diorama hall depicting that of a modern day Sultan's Court or a Sovereign Court, a blend of the old Aladdin's lamp and the new.
The dormitories mainly reflect on the old Aladdin's lamp, while the private bedrooms reflect on the new.

I, too totally recommend Jonkerdee Hostel which is unique, vibrant and "full of energy"

Room Tip: The Raja Parameswara Chamber held my attention as it's a dormitory with two single beds. I thoug...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Greetings Janiz!
I guess I owe it partly to my miniature garden that you were so impressed with and admired when you walked past my Hostel. The other part I owe it to the many reviews on Jonkerdee Hostel posted by my other guests on TripAdvisor Site.

However none of these would have mattered if you hadn't (like you said) switched from your norm and decided to enter into the "World Of Jonkerdee" as you so nicely put it.
So thanks for taking that step, standing at my door and ringing my bell!

Just as you are amazed and filled with wonder over Jonkerdee Hostel and her contents, so am I filled with wonder over the contents of your heart, your spirit and your lovely gestures!!!
The sprinkling of your words "Touches of Gold" is now synonymous with the service provided by Jonkerdee Hostel.
Much appreciated and thank you so much!
Andre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Jonkerdee Hostel and Jonker Walk Melaka have a "star" or what we Malaysians call "bintang".
Andre is that star(bintang) at his own Hostel among his Guests and at Jonker Walk among the people.
He used to be quite regular at the local music scene in Jonker walk but due to his commitment to his business and other important and relevant issues, makes rare appearances these days.

We were fortunate to be his Hostel Guests the weekend that was and we had a 'blast' of our time at his Hostel and with him. He made our stay worthwhile and undeniably the best vacation we've ever had.

The Hostel took our breath away but it was Andre who took our hearts away. Andre is an angel and a gem and right from the start he kept us entertained and went out of his way to ensure we had the best of his hospitality. He is an exceptional person, a prolific and promulgate Host, skilled and efficient in his trade/business. Rarely have we seen or encountered such dedication and we considered ourselves fortunate to be his Guests at his Hostel.

He updated us with every kind of event or activity taking place during that particular weekend and when we heard he was himself going, we asked him if we might accompany him. Andre was only too pleased to oblige, having us tag along with him. Two other couples (with whom today are our good friends) staying at Jonkerdee Hostel then, also joined us.

It was actually the last weekend of the Lent season/period leading to Easter Celebration. If not for Andre, we probably would have missed much,like the spiritually uplifting experience held at the St. Peter's Church in Melaka. There were hundreds and hundreds of people congregated and gathered around the Church (inside and outside), all bearing gigantic candles, praying, worshiping and making as well as fulfilling vows while waiting for the procession to start - pallbearers carrying the statue of Christ lying on a stretcher or bed, followed by the statue of the Virgin Mary (standing upright), also carried by pallbearers. In the distance stood the Veronica on a raised podium as she unveils the scroll on which the image of Christ is imprinted.

There's so much that's happening here that it's hard to describe in detail, not to mention how lengthy my review would read.The experience stirred up our interests further and all along the way back we talked nothing but what we witnessed and how spiritually lifted we all felt.
Andre sure knows how to dress for the occasion. He had or wore on his back a shirt with uncanny resemblance to the lashes or stripes caused by whipping - the kind Christ bore on his bloody robe or tunic. Amazing!

The following night, we saw Andre all dressed up looking like a Spanish (male) Gypsy, ready to perform the "Flamenco" style of Spanish dance or the Latin American "Paso Doble music and dance. We stood in awe of this charming and dashing man who for a moment or two we couldn't believe was actually our very own Host and Owner of Jonkerdee Hostel where we were staying.

If you haven't guessed it by now, well of course we weren't going to miss out on this night, too! Naturally we accompanied him to one of the hottest music scene along Jonker Walk.
When we walked in, the crowd stirred and started talking and whispering among each other making references to him. When he eventually got to the dance floor, the crowd roared with excitement almost deafening the music that was being played.

It was a night like we've never had before nor will ever until we're back for more. It was 'wild' but restrained as everyone held on to their 'reins'. Andre however has a way of reaching out to people and soon many others took to the dance floor, dancing with him (as also very gently and effortlessly) he extricates himself from the group of dancers on the floor and eases his way, still dancing pausing a while at every table, contorting dance moves and expressions with agility and subtlety of his hands, feet and body. Very powerful and very entertaining indeed!

We were sad when we had to depart Jonkerdee, but we bring with us fond and unforgettable memories of Jonkerdee Hostel and her truly magnificent Host and Owner, Andre.

Jonkerdee abounds with love. You can feel it in the air and the love is two ways or two folds - love from and for the Hostel and love from and for Andre.

Thank you Andre! we are most grateful for that ":Easter Surprise". It was an offer we never would have anticipated,not even in our wildest dreams!!!. You have shown and taught us the blind side of humanity - that giving can be more rewarding than receiving, that putting your Guests' needs first before yourself or the Hostel and going or walking an extra mile or even forsaking what is rightfully yours for a good cause, whilst still ensuring your Guests' comfort and creating a "haven" condition and a memorable stay all point to you being who and what you are - a beautiful and wonderful human being. Stay forever that way!!

Yes! beautiful people like you, Andre, discover beautiful things!!! So on behalf of the other couple ( who requested we include them) we'd like to convey our love, admiration and utter respect to you.
Keep up the good work and lots of success and prosperity for you and your Hostel.

We'd definitely see you again. There's no other for us, except Jonkerdee when we visit Melaka, next.

Room Tip: We would have been happy to settle in one of the dormitory, especially the one that has all the imag...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Andersvil,
Let me reassure you that your respect for me is reciprocated in the same manner from me to you. Actually you guys and quite frankly all my other guests are the "stars" at my Hostel.
Without all of you, I'd have nothing to gain!. You provide me with the "field" on which I can practice and hone in on my skills as an accomplished host.
So thank you all for the wonderful memories you leave me behind. Know for sure I treasure all these precious moments and memories of your stay at Jonkerdee.
I'd definitely love to see you again. Jonkerdee's door is always open!
Langkawi, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Up to 10 years ago I used to live in Malacca, now I live in Langkawi Island. My memories of Malacca are vivid since I grew up there. Therefore I'd like to walk through history by starting with Malacca.
Malacca- a sleepy hollow, as the inhabitants of Malacca love to call it. History is everywhere in Malacca,peeping out from corners. hinting truths from epitaphs, yet never really telling it. It is a town with a glorious past. About 5 centuries ago a Portuguese chronicler and frequent visitor said,"Whosoever holds Malacca, has Venice by the throat"

Even though preseny day Malacca, no longer holds the key to the trade by which Venice kept "the gorgeous East in fee", it still occupies the foremost place in the hearts of Malaysians.

The visitor to Malacca may find it difficult to visualise life behind the medieval fortress,500 years ago. But as he or she walks the narrow streets, visits old temples and churches, lingers among ancient ruins and epitaphs, Malacca's history begins to unfold and fall into place, Besides walking, trishaws are an excellent means of getting around in Malacca.The drivers know the sights and many of them speak understandable English, in which case they make fine guides.
Come to Malacca if you're curious to know more of its history and glorious past!

After enjoying your city sights, you may wish to experience the rich tapestry of Malaysia/Malacca's diverse culture in your travel destination programme that focusses on accommodation. Here's where Jonkerdee Hostel comes in.

On the outside( Malacca's surrounding) all the excitement of an adventure film, on the inside (Jonkerdee Hostel) all the finesse of affordable and distinguished luxury. Jonkerdee is a hostel that has just about everything a visitor/traveller would ever want - fascinating design and decoration, friendly and caring host, warm welcome and smile and the list goes on...................

Jonkerdee is a gem and could be likened to a gem stone, because choosing a gem stone is one of life's true pleasures. You should know that the single most important factor determining a gem's value is the cut and like Jonkerdee, this hostel is cut in the best possible scenario, a precise mathemathical formula for specific angles and proportions, ensuring like a gem stone, the hostel refracts and reflects light in a blaze of brilliance, sparkle and fire.

A unique tradition brought about by its creator and owner that probably never will be compromised.

My stay with Jonkerdee was a cut above the rest. Jonkerdee Hostel also brought a smile to my face and my good old days in Malacca!

Room Tip: The room on the right hand corner of the hall is like the "hanging gardens of babylon". T...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi Amanda!
Your review of Jonkerdee has simultaneously also brought a smile to my face when I reminisce on your stay at my Hostel.
I recall we had some great time recollecting on our individual adventures, sharing opinions, likes and dislikes, etc, etc.
Infact, I got to know a little more of Malacca from the 'feedback' I received from you on Malacca's glorious past and "secrets" which only a true, blue, Malaccan like you would probably have 'locked' in your "treasure chest".
Your happy stay at Jonkerdee and in Malacca is also my happiness.
So thank you!
Songkhla, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

"Welcome To Jonkerdee" is one of the signs greeting you from inside the pristine corridors of Jonkerdee Hostel.
"Welcome To Malaysia" is another sign that also greets you.

What do you picture when you think of Malaysia?

If you have read the travel brochures, you will imagine a land of beaches and coconut palms, sands as fine as flour, lost idyllic islands, fabulous coral reefs, and lots more.

If,on the other hand, you pored over the pages of Somerset Maugham's short stories, you will imagine colonial bungalows set in the heart of a tea or rubber plantation, with tea served on the verandah by a young Malay boy, while the Indian 'punkah wallah' moves the fan into action to keep the 'orang putih' (white man) cool in the heat of the tropics,

Or if you have peeked between the covers of naturalist Alfred Russell Wallace's Malay Archipelago, you will see ancient jungles, screaming with monkeys,brimming with butterflies, and hiding legendary animals such as the famed most intelligent of primates ( next to man), the orang-utan. That's a brief insight into Malaysia!

What do you picture when you think of Jonkerdee?

If you had read the reviews, you will imagine a great and beautiful hostel, likened to a great and beautiful woman, cool and unruffled. accomplished in her own right with a strong presence yet quietly self assured and confident speaking volumes without saying a word. This chic, elegant and fascinating "accommodation provider" is the ultimate personal statement to a hostel for which originality and spirit is a way of life.

The reviews and pictures of Jonkerdee will add to your knowledge and enjoyment of this great hostel. Jonkerdee combines superb photography with entertaining insights and informative text written on palm leaves mats (mengkuang weaving), utilising the impressive talents and bestowed gifts of the expert who in this sense is the owner, Andre, himself.

Jonkerdee hostel will help make your stay ( as it did mine ) a memorable one. In Jonkerdee you will find yourself in many incongruously different scenarios. There's so much to fathom here with every room, nook and corner projecting something fascinating.

The accounts given by the many reviewers are not contradictory, indeed you will find aspects of all this visions of multi-cultural Malaysia in this great hostel.
But what you will find is also much much more. I did when I stayed here and enjoyed the best of hospitality in every way. Expect some surprises!
That was a brief insight into Jonkerdee!

Room Tip: The room ( not dorm) at the end of the hall, with the single beds is cool and I personally liked the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hello Xelcius!
That was brilliant of you to echo, endorse and paraphrase the "What do you picture when you think of Malaysia" signboard, that I have at my Hostel, written by my own handwriting on woven mats.
Come to think of it, I should have used it on my website!
Perhaps it's better when it's read on TripAdvisor as a reviewer's point of view highlighting a message from within an establishment.

Your description of Jonkerdee :-

"This chic, elegant and fascinating 'accommodation provider' is the ultimate personal statement to a Hostel for which originality and spirit is a way of life"

You might be pleased and thrilled to know that it has already been impressed upon and quoted a second time ( with reference to your review) by another recent reviewer of Jonkerdee.
Thanks for your support and praise of Jonkerdee Hostel!
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

If a picture could paint a thousand words then let these pictures I've taken (with the permission of the Hostel Owner, Andre) speak for themselves. However I am compelled, for it's the least That I can do for this Magnificent Hostel and it's Magnificent Host to also be generous with words spoken from my heart. (I intended to stay only 2 nights but but because of the excellent Hospitality/service, rendered, I decided to stay for 5 Days)
The Hostel well here goes : By day you are struck and stunned by what you see like scenes from the "set' of a Movie House befitting that perhaps of a sequel of AVATAR 2 in Cinema scope.Then as dusk/evening dawns or approaches the Hostel is transformed making it AVATAR 2 in 3 D ( 3 Dimension)Tthe transition isfrom Day to Night is mesmerising like seeing through a different spectrum making it almost "paradise" like with all the lights aglow.

Beautiful people discover beautiful things and Andre the Owner/Host has done just that with the Hostel. I learned that Andre is really famous in the Malacca Music Scene. He, I gathered from mixing around with some of the local people is a natural entertainer known for his dance moves and song rendition. It is said he is the best dancer in Malacca with some saying the best in Malaysia.
At jonker Walk at the junction where Ringo's Bar and Geographer's Bar converge with a hoist of other Hot Music Scenes stretched along a particular street, Andre (Jon Kerdee) is an icon and a celebrity to be reckoned with drawing in droves of crowds/ people, some of whom gather across the street to watch him dance (and sing) with "gusto" and "power packed" action and moves.
Andre does this voluntarily and from the goodness of his heart. He was quoted and known to say " I just love to spread Joy and Happiness all around and that's why I do this where and when I can"
Yet! you wouldn't hear a "quip" from him about his 'Celebrity" status. That's how humble and modest he is about the whole affair. When I mentioned about his popularity at Jonker Walk music scene, he just brushed it aside saying " I'm just a simple ordinary guy, I'm not great, God is"
I had the greatest time staying there. Everything is within reach. Good location with lots of different ethnic food selection around nearby. There's an Internet next door, a mini market, 24 store, laundry ,etc,etc and Jonker Walk is only a 2 minute walk away.
The Hostel has a kitchen with everything you need in it.However who needs to cook with all the restaurants around there!!!. There are bicycles for rent from this hostel, free luggage storage and even a First aid kit For Emergencies.
The Toilets are the most creatively decorated and very very clean. As an incentive, there are no Staff milling or loitering around (which is a bonus if you ask me)
And get this people, amazing but true, NO Mosquitoes through out the 5 nights I stayed there!!!!! Andre is always around on demand for any assistance or service.
It may be a small Hostel but with a BIG HEART just like the Host, Andre. He too has a big heart.
Very Homy and Cosy and one of the best place to stay In Historical Malacca.
BRAVO and KUDOS to Andre and Jnkerdee Hostel.
Long after you've left this Hostel it's beautiful hostel and all the plus points that comes along from staying in this Magnificent Hostel will still linger on in your mind for a long long time.

Room Tip: Every room and dorm is an excellent choice. Couples would be thrilled with the Garden Of Eden Bedroo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Hi Rawlson!
I'd like to thank you for your generous words heaped upon Jonkerdee Hostel and her owner/host, Andre (that's me)! It pleases me to know that you had the greatest time staying at Jonkerdee.
I'd like it to be known that you've also been a wonderful guest of mine whose memories still linger on in my mind!
All the best to you and your endeavours, too.
Andre.
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

One of the most excellent and warmest of welcome ever experienced staying in a Hostel.The best of all is the care the host, Andre, generously imparts to all his Guests makes you feel most comfortable and most welcomed. So unexpected and rare indeed to find this unexpected place ( without a map or a guide book).
The Hostel is a credit to the Historic City of Malacca. Infact it is a distinguished and outstanding establishment, The hostel may be small with only 7 rooms including dormitories but it is large in "Character" and has a "Class" unique of it's own style.
Might also be one of the most friendliest ever,though I'm not much of a traveler and I've only just begun.
The place has Good vibes, is beautiful, artistic and "full of energy"
Excellent hospitality and excellent service by the host, Andre,

Room Tip: The 'Garden of Eden" room is superb for couples, very alluring and impressive, at an impecc...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hello Axlxia,
This might come as a surprise, after all these months, to actually hear from me, now.
Still, better late than never!
You know what! - whatever forces that led and brought you to Jonkerdee Hostel, I'm only glad that it was worth your stay!
I trust by now, you would have done a little more "travelling" when the opportunity presented itself and I hope each and everyone of them brought you 'pleasant and memorable' experiences of your travels and stay.
It was great having you as one of my guests. I remember you just as I remember all of my other 'special' guests
Thanks for your review!
Almere-Stad, Flevoland, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Dear Andre,

We stayed in your hostel and we had a great time. It is clean, near the centre, next to some restaurants and we slept perfectly.

This hostel is like a small museum but you feel at home immediatly!

You have a great personality, keep up the good work.

All the best for the future.

Ciao Giuseppe & Chantal

Room Tip: Everything is neat and you can have your one space by closing the curtains around the bed.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonkerdee, Owner at Jonkerdee Hostel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Hi Eugenia!
Nothing pleases me more than (hoping) to be the great or perfect host. It's quite a daunting task to achieve, I should say, though not that impossible, if you're willing to work hard.
And if you and several of my other guests deem me as 'great host', that's only because you have all been 'great guests' of mine at Jonkerdee Hostel.
I'm glad you are also one of my guests who appreciates and admire my personal collection of antiques and curios, etc. It's been one of my deep rooted desires and ambition, since I was still at a very tender age, then. Now it's a passion. Much like my running of Jonkerdee Hostel as her Owner/Sole Proprietor. Thank you so much for your recommendation of Jonkerdee Hostel in your TripAdvisor Review.
Andre

Been to Jonkerdee Hostel? Share your experiences!