“average hotel stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 148 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore, Singapore
“average hotel stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

stayed for a night on the 20th floor and the overall experience was alright. The staff were friendly and the room is clean. Toilet-wise, is clean and dry, except there isn't any shower gel or shampoo as would one expects from a hotel. Only hand cleaning gel can be found attached at the basin. TV was working fine though did not do much with it, but movie channels are available.

Overall, a pleasant stay for a night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

My worst hotel experience ever! The building is wayyy too old. Tv, aircond is old. Provide only 1 shower/pipe. Smells old. Wouldnt recommmend this to anyone! Parking lot provided is not secure enough. Doorman is not helpful. Every meals suck. Im so mad i cannot even finish them

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Mandaluyong, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

The rooms are definitely not the best. It is an old building, the bathroom's shower is not that good anymore, the toilet is okay but the room really looks old.The minibar or refrigerator is making sounds that are weird. It feels as if someone is entering my room all the time because of the sounds. It took some time to get used to it.

The staff though is friendly, if there is any upside, that would be it. There is the guy in the front desk that has a uniquely high pitched voice, he helped us to get to the tourist spots around melacca and even helped us with the transport. The breakfast is okay (Sausage, Pork and Beans, Rice) -- simple enough

But if you don't get enough, right across the street you have small shop owners who sell chinese, malaysian and even indian food.

Room Tip: My friend and I stayed at room 1015. It was quiet but as i said, the refrigerator was creepy. My oth...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Hotel located next to a crematorium. ..yes with burning body's the day we arrived. Rooms very poor both in hygiene and decor. Bathroom toilet leeking,shower molding and no toiletries apart from a shower cap and mug.one tea bag and one coffee sachet and no milk. The complimentary breakfast was a complete JOKE.could not sit or even eat anything especially when other people are sharing the same knifes too butter and jam there toast, so we ran as fast as we could do to get away from the place ,and will never recommend this place to anyone else in our life's. .!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

we are from Australia and planned to stay here two nights but got a little behind and could only make it to one night......THANKGOD...
Staff were unhelpful and rude
rooms were filthy, poor unhygenic, toilets leaked.
don't try locking the door because you will get locked out!
breakfast no point due to no room to be seated and you all share the same jam and butter!!
the restaurant around the corner was rubbish....
no one speaks English and it was unhelpful

• Stayed December 2013
Putrajaya, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

My husband had a course at this hotel and brought along the family.

It's an old hotel, getting a little shabby but clean, and definitely creaky. The room was worn, I found the bed to be uncomfortable (I felt the springs) though my husband disagrees. They gave complimentary drinking water.

The windows need to be fixed for the howling wind was so loud at night, it was like a banshee! I thought I was the only one bothered by the eerie sounds but my husband's colleagues had an uneasy night as well. Not my husband though. He was very practical and nonchalant about it. (He wrote that line)

However, the staff at the hotel were top notch. They were very friendly and quick to respond e.g when our tv channels weren't working, they quickly came to the room.

Location is ok, you'll need a car to get to most attractions though. Parking is ample and free but open air, so it can be a hassle when it rains. It's at the back of the hotel, which is a little quiet and honestly, made me nervous when it was dark and I'm alone with the baby.

Food is provided via a cafe. Limited choice but quite tasty.

I can't say much about the cost as it was paid for by the company. I would say though, that this is not the hotel to go for if you're in for a romantic getaway. Best for those who just want a clean place to crash.

Room Tip: bring ear plugs if you're a light sleeper and don't want to be bothered by the banshee.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is another hotel where I would like to give the rating good; average is a bit mean, very good is too high. The hotel had lots of plus points and lots of minus points.

The first plus point was the staff who were very pleasant and friendly. This covers all the staff from the receptionists, to the doormen, to the cleaning staff, pool staff and restaurant staff. They all spoke good English, too.

We arrived at the hotel by taxi from Melaka Sentral bus station. It cost 15RM which I am sure is too much, but in my opinion if you are going to use a taxi, you are going to get ripped off and the important point is just to find out how much by. Later I discovered we could have taken a 17 bus which would have taken us to Dutch Square. However, it's a trek from there with luggage so taxi is the best option.

Check in was friendly and efficient. We were given a meal voucher for 28RM if we ate at their hotel and our breakfast voucher.

Our room was on the 16th floor and had beautiful sea views over Melaka. However, the room was a bit worn which normally would not bother me, but it was also not well cleaned. I opened a drawer to put our clothes inside and discovered it was full of rubbish left by the last guest. By rubbish I mean empty water cups and used coffees, teas and sugars. Why they put them there instead of in one of the two bins provided is anyone's guess. I should have complained I suppose, instead I just cleaned it out myself, but it was very off putting.

The room had a fridge, a kettle, 2 free cups of water, 2 coffees, 2 teas, 2 sugars, 2 creamers. The bed was actually very comfortable in my opinion. The only thing missing was a room safe but it is possible to leave valuables at reception.

The only toiletries provided was bright blue liquid soap. When I pressed the dispenser, it fell off the wall and covered the bathroom floor with soap. As my husband said, at least the room smelt better when I had finished cleaning all that up.

The next big plus was the swimming pool. It is very pretty, had good views and was bigger than it looks. It ranges in depth from 4ft to 6ft to 8ft. We really enjoyed swimming here. The only downside is it does not open till 11am and closes at 7pm.

There is no wifi in the room, but it was available free in reception which was fine as there were places to sit and use it down there and it worked well.

On the first night we ate at the hotel and thought the food was excellent and very cheap. We drank bottled Carlsberg with our meal. The serving staff were very nice.

Next big downside was the soundproofing which was very poor. The people in the room next to ours watched TV till 4 in the morning both nights and it was like having the TV on in our room. Very annoying. I had to put tissue in my ears to get to sleep.

Breakfast was fine. I like to eat the Asian choices and had noodles, nasi lemak and congee during the stay. Western selections were sausages, beans, bread, pancakes, french toast. There was also cereal, fruit and plenty of tea, coffee. I thought it was perfectly adequate.

The location of the hotel is OK. It's near some sights like Bukit China, St Peter's Church, the Sultan's Well. You can walk to the centre in around 10 to 15 minutes. There is a supermarket of sorts round the corner opposite the Ramada Plaza. Some shops on the main road sell snacks and drinks. Exiting the hotel, going left and crossing the road will take you to a bakery. Going left and staying on the same side as the hotel will take you to a garage that sells snacks and cold drinks but not alcohol. Opposite the hotel there is a food court and a Chinese Islamic steamboat restaurant.

One good thing about the hotel is it is a tall bright yellow building that you can see all over Melaka so it is very easy to find your way home.

Our room was cleaned properly for the second day of our stay.

We ordered a taxi back to the bus station for 20 RM when we were leaving and they had it there waiting for us when we left. Check out was quick, friendly and efficient. I would stay here again, but hope for better neighbours.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Emperor Hotel Malacca? Share your experiences!