“It was just Ok” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Bendahara, Melaka 75100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #64 of 148 Hotels in Melaka
“It was just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My first time staying here. It was clean and neat. Room (deluxe) was spacious, so was the bathroom which has a jacuzzi. The extra bed was surprisingly good. It was firm, not the squeaky and springing type that sagged in the middle. The matresses were really firm and comfortable - think they just installed new ones. Parking is free and ample. Room was not supposed to be in a smoking zone but it has an ashtray in the bathroom.

Drawbacks ? No free wifi :-( And staff were very inflexible about this. Breakfast at the lobby was reasonable (RM9 on average) but quality was below average. Scrambled eggs were like omelette and toasts were hardly the way I thought toasts were. Sausages were cold. Staff, though not rude or anything like that, were neither friendly nor warm. They didn't smile and were so transactional I felt like I was buying a train ticket at the counter. If you are looking for a welcoming ambience, you can drop the thought.

Location is kind of out of the way from Jonker Walk (20 mins' walk) and major shopping places like Makhota and Palawan Dataran (taxi would be better). We drove so it was ok though the road in front was perpetually choked up. Very congested.

It was a comfortable stay but no frills. It was ok if you just want a clean place to stay but be prepared to put in more effort to move around to touristy areas.

Room Tip: Go for higher floors and city-facing.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

1st time stay in this hotel.

Those service staff encountered were not friendly, no smiling faces.

The breakfast served was poor. Coffee tasted like plain water. The ham was flat in taste. One of the worst ham tasted in Malaysia!

The only plus point we can think of is - the room we had was big in size. very spacious. Not sure what room type was provided. No free wifi was provided in the hotel. Rate going at RM10 per hour!

Malaysia is well known for wide-availability for free wifi and it does come to our surprise this hotel didnt have this benefit for the guest.

Doubt we will consider this hotel for stays in Melaka again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I like to stay in this hotel because it is covenient to me. It's cleanliness is very good, and I am very impressed with the hotel initiative to make it a smoke free zone. This hotel is located right in the heart of historical city of Melaka. Importantly, it is very close to famous historical sites, and in close proximity to Putra specialist hospital.

• Stayed November 2012
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

What to say abt this hotel....firstly, location is ok, a bit out of the happening area but then Melaka is that small, no problems moving around if you have a car. The hotel has seen better days and the rooms are a bit sad and tired. No frills but really need a makeover.

Pros:
1. Lobby is nice and grand.
2. Car park is available and linked to all floors, convenient for the handicapped.
3. Food is good in this hotel. Both buffet breakfast and dinner were good for hotel standard.
4. Room has all the amenities like hairdryer, coffee & tea making facilities.
5. Check in and out was breezy.

Cons:
1. No free wifi, need to pay RM10 per hour...what??
2. Rooms really need a facelift, gives the impression that it is not so clean as it is really old.
3. Bathroom again is quite pathetic, the shower head was bad and water pressure was weak. Another upgrade?

Room Tip: There are many more hotels in Melaka so maybe give this a miss? But it is decent if you have no bett...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel around 10:30am they don't allow early check-in said that hotel is fully booked:

After checkin some local spot/food with them, they allowed us to complete check-in procedure and come back around 11:30am. Rooms are ready for us by then, we booked online hence all requirement fulfilled by the hotel.

Overall, just an average hotel. We didn't check out their amenities.

• Stayed October 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Hotel lobby looked huge and clean but the room looked old.
Toilet faucet faulty,stained shower curtain, shower area looked very old and in need of major renovation. Have to wait for 30mins to checked in, staff not friendly, unapproachable and unprofessional.
The TV is so outdated and small. Could hardly see any shows clearly and reception not fantastic.
Breakfast buffet is so blend not much variety and most of it tasted salty! The weakest and bad point is that wifi is chargeable and can be only use by one mobile/electronic each time. This is so riduculous!!
Need to travel far to tourist attraction and not suitable for family with small kids to stay in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Seremban, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at Bayview during my recent business trip to Malacca. As it is the nearby hotel to my office, I booked the room for 2 nights.
During the first night, after shower, I would like to use the hair dryer but after a few seconds when I switched it on, it ran out of order. I tried to pull out the switch and re-connected back to the socket but failed. I called up the reception and they immediately sent one maintenance to come over. He looked at the hair dryer and told me that it was too hot. I looked at him and told him that I just switched it on for few seconds. He checked, checked, checked and checked, somehow, it worked after that. The maintenance left my room and I tried to use the hairdryer again. Still, the same thing happened. It was not working. I have no choice but to call the reception again to inform her the problem I encountered. She told me that she will change another one for me. After a while, the same maintenance guy came with a slightly old hair dryer which looks like it has not been used for ages. I just took the hairdryer and placed it in the drawer.
The air-conditioner was relatively warm even I switched it to high. It was like no air-con at all. Since it was warm and my slept was not well, I was awaken at 2.30am in the morning by the construction work that was carrying out 24 hours just beside the hotel. The sound was too loud that made me couldn't sleep well.
The next day, I went to the cafe for breakfast. The variety is limited but I just need to grab some food for the day. When I was back to the hotel in the evening, I called the reception to check on my room air-con and asked her whether I can change my room because it was too noisy. The maintenance guy came and checked on the air-con and told me that the air-con pipe was having some problem. The maintenance told me that he will inform the front office so that they can arrange another room for me. I switched it to another room which was on the other side and thanks God that my slept was much better as I was not interrupted by the construction noise but the air-con still very weak.
Overall, I think the cleanliness of the room is okay but really need a major improvement in terms of the room setup, furniture, fittings such as air-con, TV.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Bayview Hotel Melaka? Share your experiences!