“Good Basic Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of QuaySide Hotel

You added QuaySide Hotel to your Saves list
QuaySide Hotel
1 Jalan Merdeka, Quayside Heritage Centre, | Bandar Hilir, 75000 Melacca., Melaka 75000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #21 of 148 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore
“Good Basic Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Check-in was simple and quick. Staff knew who they were expecting & addressed us by name the moment we informed them that we had booked 3 rooms.

Rooms were spacious and clean. All our rooms were east facing, hence very hot in the afternoon. It did not help that we were only given 1 key for each room & the room key is required to activate the power in the room. As a result, we always return to a hot sauna in the afternoon. Evenings were more bearable. It would have been better if we could keep the air con on while we were out as it took the air con a while to cool the big rooms.

Breakfast included at the restaurant next door was basic - really basic. There was a simple local spread with some bread & fruits. It seems that the spread was not as good as my parents' previous visit. In fact, most of the children refused to eat there.

There seemed to be some miscommunication between the hotel and the restaurant providing breakfast. We were told upon check-in that breakfast was included in our package. We were given breakfast coupons for 10 adults & told that breakfast is foc for children. However, we were asked to pay for my 12yo daughter and 8yo nephew. In fact, the restaurant was so rigid, they insisted on the breakfast coupon before entry. My sister had forgotten to bring hers down as a result she & her son were made to stand at the door while my daughter help her get her coupons from the room. The rest of the group with coupons were allowed entry.

Excellent location & within walking distance of many places of interest in Malacca.

Room Tip: Consider requesting for rooms on level 1 if you are bringing lots of luggage as there is no elevator...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I was looking forward to a good view and good location but was told that the hotel's booking sys shows that I booked 1 instead of 2 premier rooms. I was of course upset as the 2nd room I was given not only does not have a balcony, it is very small. We were thankful to Mr Abdullah for helping us to change the 2nd room. He went beyond his duty to show us a few rooms and was able to get us a connecting room though it was our last night there. The hotel is centrally located and very new. As with other reviews, the rooms are not sound proof. Noise from the street and jetty can be clearly heard. The floors are covered with boards. You may not like it if you are a light sleeper. Different hotel sites offer different packages. Some with breakfast. If you are a regular in Melaka, you may not want to get breakfast. Parking is at a private carpark across the road next to the police station. You need to get the key from the reception to unlock the parking lot. Do not park next to the hotel along the road, we saw many cars getting tickets from the traffic police. Overall it's a budget hotel with basic amenities. Due to its age and location, its still worth the visit. At least I know I would.

Room Tip: Premier rooms with balcony on the 2nd storey is good. They faces the river and have fantastic views...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

The hotel is centrally located in the tourist area and it's greatest asset. Its like just less than 10 minutes walk to the Jonkers area, the Stadhuys, A' Famosa, the Flor De la Mar replica ship, St Paul's Hill and all the museums. And its also near to all the shopping centres like Hatten and Dataran Pahlawan where you'll find great food if you don't fancy the food or crowd in the Jonkers area.

However, all the other parts of the hotel fails. I did not realize the hotel had an upper floor and it did not have a lift. So guest are forewarned, if you have leg or knee problems avoid this hotel. Or better ask for a ground floor unit, but there is no guarantee you will get one.

Then there is the lack of service where the reception or the hotel staff will try their best not to provide service. Its like its run by some government bureaucracy.

I said I had bags that were heavy so I was hinting I need some help to get the bags to the upper floor. The reception guy just told me to carry the bags myself up a very narrow spiral staircase, which I did and thankfully I didn't fall or hurt myself. I could hardly fit into the spiral staircase with the bags and the reception staff just watched me struggling. Later on I discovered there was a wider straight staircase but why then did he ask me to take the spiral staircase..............

Then I was given a password to the free WiFi. I ask the reception to recheck the password as I couldn't log in. He said the password is correct and that the reason why I couldn't log in was because I was using an Apple device instead of Android. First time I have heard of this. After one and half days without WiFi, I managed to "hack" through their system and discovered the correct password which I told the same reception guy. Then he just replied nonchalantly, ah yes I gave you wrong password. I was speechless.

Then I realized the access security card I was given to my room had the room number clearly displayed with the hotel's name. I thought if I dropped this card somewhere, any dishonest person finding the card can take the card and be able to come to the hotel and access my room.

The interior decor of the hotel is spartan and everything is hard finished and I am ok with it. But because it is a converted warehouse which is all steel, the hotel can get very noisy and as other guest has complained, sounds from outside the guest room are quite audible. The sounds from the street are so loud especially the musical trishaws, so don't bother going to sleep before 12 midnight.

There is a river view and a street view for the rooms. If you can, I advise you strongly to ask for and take the river view. The views are much better and its quieter.

There is an upside to this. There is a restaurant called Halia adjacent to the hotel. It serves a no nonsense simple breakfast and the service is like 5 star compared to the zero star for the hotel. It also serves wagyu beef.

Room Tip: Choose ground floor river view,
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Located right next to the melaka river and nearby with some of interesting places and attraction. You can reached the Taming Tower, Red Church, mall, hard rock cafe, river cruise port and the famous Jonker Street within approx 5 minutes by walk. There are 2 types of rooms in this hotel, rooms with balcony (river view) and without balcony (city view) and consist of 2 floors. Size of the room is quite spacious with minimalist interior design. The bad things about this hotel are (i) there is no lift/escalator in this hotel. You may have trouble for carrying your luggage to the 2nd floor, (ii) For you with the city view room, you may get noisy from the outside sounds. This hotel is next to the main road. (iii) the staff was not friendly. The advantages of this hotel are great location and rooms with river view.

Room Tip: You may consider to have a room with balcony (riverview) for getting a quality sleep
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We stayed at Tanjung Family Suite. The room was nice and cozy, very big room.
I have booked Tanjung Suite since 1 month before our trip, but suddenly my mother had knee problem that caused her not able to take stairways.
This hotel doesn't have lift/elevator, and apparently all suite room are located on 2nd floor.
While we were having this concern, all hotel staffs were very helpful to think all possible ways to find the way how could they help us.
Starting from offering 2 x standard room downstairs to replace our reservation, but finally we still take the Tanjung Suite at 2nd floor. They offered as many solutions as they could think.
They even lifted my mother using chair first time, or provided their cargo lift to operate as much as they could.
I really appreciate all they have done to help during our stay, and their friendliness.
Thank you for all your help!

Hotel locations is nice and strategic, 3mins walk to jonker and sightseeing place.
Breakfast was just ok.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Kuching, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Strategic location to nearby attractions, walk within 5 minutes can reach jonker street. Clean and cozy room with balcony (river view).
The only thing not satisfied is the soundproof of room is poor as we can hear clearly the television sound and people talking from next door, & even the sound from outside.
This is quite annoying for people who requires quiet sleeping environment.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room facing river.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Good location,few min walk to Jonker street.The opposite of the hotel are police station! Try to check in early(1350hrs),even the room are ready,they only allowed us to check in 1400hrs! Check in very slow,the staff look like newby. Book for twin beds room but still give us double bed, ask to change again. Hotel got carpark lot available just beside the police station. The room are small,bed are very small. The lock of the bathroom are spoil!The aircon not strong enough. WIFI signal are really poor,always disconnect! Soundproofing also not good,if the room are facing the road,that very noisy,because many car and motor pass by even at midnight. I wont stay this hotel again when back to Melaka.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to QuaySide Hotel? Share your experiences!