My husband and I arrived in Melaka with a list of four Guest Houses we possibly wanted to stay at. At all four we were told, "Sorry we are full, it's the last weekend of the Chinese New Years Celebration." We tried 3 or 4 others, which were either more then we cared to pay, or had cleanliness issues. We were just about to give up when a friendly gentleman, waved us towards Kawan Kawan. We have been here for three days now! I can't believe they are not full!
Why should you stay here:
1. The family that runs it are sweet, friendly, helpful and always smiling... you want to adopt them!
2. The rooms are ridiculously clean. The beds are comfortable. There are rain maker shower heads in the bathrooms. Cold AC. Hot water!
3. It is relatively quiet. I say relatively because you will, most definitely, be awaken by "call to prayer" in the morning; it adds an exotic flavor, kinda neat! Otherwise it is quiet!
4. Great location. Walking distance to almost all the historical sites, museums, Jonker Street, etc. There is a great little store next door that sells waters and drinks. Also, Monkey's, around the corner, has self serve laundry machines.
5. Comfortable sitting areas at the top of the stairs and downstairs... Wifi is available in the rooms (my husband fixed their repeater so there would be!) but the sitting areas are comfortable for hanging out too!
6. Good price for what you get. We payed $90 RM (approx. $30 USD) for a double room. This is more then we budgeted but we have found Malaysia to be more expensive then everywhere else in SE Asia. Kawan Kawan is worth the money!
I can't think of any reasons not to stay here. To get here from Melaka Sentral take local bus #17 to the clock tower at town square ( it's by a big red Dutch building and a big church). Walk across the bridge, take an immediate right onto Hang Jebat. Walk one block and take a left on Tukang Emat. Kawan Kawan is about one block up on your right.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.