“Okay but won't revisit” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bayou Lagoon Park Resort

Save Saved
You added Bayou Lagoon Park Resort to your Saves list
Bayou Lagoon Park Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Lot 45, Jalan Wakaf Utama | Kampong Bukit Katil, Melaka 75450, Malaysia   |
Ranked #55 of 143 hotels in Melaka
Kuala Lumpur
“Okay but won't revisit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We've paid RM200 for a 2D1N stay at a standard room together with the free entrance to the water park.

The room is ok, clean, & ok spacious, the theme park isn't as big as expected & certain play area was closed for reno or something.

Buffet breakfast in the morning was a nightmare, it waa too crowded you could bareky find a place to sit. Long queue to take food & very limited choice of food were available. My friend's room didn't come with the free breakfast & wish to buy upon enter but wasn't allowed to because it was overly crowded.

With the price paid I'd expect a higher standard quality but overall it's ok, but I'll not be back for another stay.

• Stayed December 2013
Mayvis L, Marketing Communication Department at Bayou Lagoon Park Resort, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hi vvlow,

Greetings from Bayou Lagoon Park Resort.

Thank you for choosing Bayou Lagoon Park Resort as your preferred hotel accommodation during your holidays in Melaka recently.

We appreciate that you have taken your time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We would do our level of best to improve our hospitality service. Rest assured that your comments will be addressed to the Management for future improvement.

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We arrived just after 1pm on 1st day of CNY, there was already a crowd but the Q was not too long. I was given my 2 units of 3-bdrm apt and they were next to each other, so that was great. I asked for an extra key card for both rooms but was told to come back in the evening/night to request since it's peak time at counter and the check-in staff wants to clear the Q quickly. Fine, since I am a reasonable person I agreed. I also asked for a baby cot and was told to call housekeeping when I got to my room. Fine.

So we went up to our 8th flr unit (the lifts were not too crowded at that time) and I quickly called to request for the baby cot. 10mins later I called again to ask for a prayer mat. Half an hour later no one showed up and when I called again the girl told me staff was on the way. 10 mins later the staff appeared with the mat and a tiny baby cot. My baby is just 2 yrs old and when she straightens her body it was a perfect fit. Oh and it's made of metal with no bumper for protection. They provided a mattress cover and pillow. Good thing we brought her pillow which at least helps to protect one side of her head.

Anyway the 2 units we got were okay, but the floor is quite dusty. Each bedroom has a writing desk and chair and a wardrobe with a few hangers. 2 rooms were with a queen bed and the other room with 2 single beds, which are comfy enough. We were given 6 bath towels and 2 floor towels for each unit. The master room has attached toilet and side tables with lamps and a side cabinet to place our luggage. All lights in the rooms are dim though, no white light used. The pantry has a small fridge and kettle and we were given 6 bottles of water and some tea & coffee.
There was no iron/board or hairdryer. I called housekeeping at 4pm to ask for hairdryer but was told there is none left. OK, whatever.

So that evening I went to the reception to get the extra key cards and were promptly given but when I tried the cards only 1 was working. Didnt bother to go down again as it was already a chore trying to get a lift up so we left it at that. The next day however, when I tried ALL the cards after 12pm, NONE of them worked! We didnt go down immediately after realizing this as it was the peak period at reception. So we decided to go down later. I made a call to housekeeping to ask for the iron & board. Was told that it will take some time (I didnt bother asking how long). So anyway we went to reception in the late afternoon. There was a short Q and we joined one but as we reached the front, the staff went to take something at the corner and a guest came up to her apparently with the same problem as mine and she served him instead! I couldn't believe it and so I had to ask her which counter she is actually manning. She probably realised her mistake and quickly attended to me. In her haste she gave me that other guest's card instead. Luckily I noticed this (the card jacket has guest's name on it) just after I walked away from the counter. But guess what? Only 1 card worked! Oh what a surprise. So I immediately called the operator and told her the issue and said I am not about to go down again when it's so difficult to get a lift back to our floor. Staff assured me she will send someone up with a replacement card. After more than 1 hour no one appeared. Not the staff with the card nor the staff with the iron n board. I went down again some time later with the faulty card and approached the reception staff to activate it. At the same time I told him that I have been waiting for someone to send up the replacement card but no one showed up. The staff claimed a manager already took the card an hour ago to send to me! Hmm.. I think the manager must have gotten kidnapped or something cos he NEVER showed up at all! I also told the staff that the iron n board I requested didnt arrive. He noted down on a piece of paper my room no. and said he will notify housekeeping. Riiiiight. Next morning at 8+ I called housekeeping to ask yet again and again I was told it will take some time. By that time I have given up all hope.

Service was really slow but staff were actually polite so I didnt blow my top.

There's actually nothing to do there much apart from the pool. Although they really need to increase their number of pool towels! Imagine the pool opens at 8am, by 9.30am we were told there are no more towels. So we had to leave a trail of water back to the room. Great isnt it?

Games room is small and not all machines were working. The so-called 9D theatre is lame. Not worth the RM15 per pax. Please dont waste your time and money. The "massage chair" used in the theatre will cost you much less at the hotel lobby, trust me.

I can't comment on hotel food as I didnt try out any. But there is a TomYam coffeeshop (restaurant) about less than 3 mins drive from the hotel that sells pretty decent food).

Overall, I can't say I regret staying there. I had to experience the negativities for myself, only then will I know if I'll ever go back again. And the answer is no.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Mayvis L, Marketing Communication at Bayou Lagoon Park Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear safgirl,
Greetings from Bayou Lagoon Park Resort.
Thank you for choosing us as your preferred accommodation during your recent holidays to Melaka and taking your valuable time for providing your feedback to us here.

At Bayou Lagoon Park Resort we strive to achieve the level of services that our guests are normally accustomed to and continue to be committed to providing all our guests and patrons with the quality services that is expected of us.

We hope that you could afford us the opportunity to be of service to you once again in the not too distant future and remain with best regards in the meantime.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

So where should we start?

Upon arriving at the hotel, i stood at the counter fr about 15-20 mins just to get check-in. I got what i requested for which was high floor room. Once everything was clear and explained about my room location, my family n i went to the next block where the hotel room was located.

Trust me, It`s either you park yr vehicle about 10 meters away from the hotel or park exactly in front of the lobby or you will have to inhale very strong bad smell from the toilet and the kitchen. It stinks. It's an open air parking lot but the smell is overwhelming.

The room was fine. Booked the Studio Apartment bedroom. Everything was fine. There were two counters. One located in the first building (Couldn't recall it's name) and the is Haiti Apartment which where my room was.

Went out for late brunch to Bandar Hilir in the late afternoon. It was 20-30 mins drive to the city.
Reached the hotel around 6 in the evening. Went to the counter and requested for the wifi password. I was told to go to the first building. Fair, enough. And after I requested for the password from the first counter, i was handed a piece of like receipt with username and password. I was shocked when i was charged RM20 for 24 hours of internet usage. That's robbery! That's expensive consider the fact that i have stayed in budget hotels and i was given free wifi! Trip Advisor states it's free wifi. Jokes on you.

And then I requested for an iron board over the counter. I was told to call instead. Why i can't request it over the counter? Isn't it the same? I mean I can pick it up on the spot or maybe had someone send it to my room. Crazy isn't it? So I went back to my room, i wanted to call the reception counter to request for the iron board, My room phone can't be use! I had to use my hand phone to call for maintenance. Waited over an hour for the maintenance guy but no one showed up. Called AGAIN, still there wasn't anyone. called the 3rd time to cancel everything as my family will be going out.

The food at the cafe was another robbery. RM100 for 4 person? We only had simple asian food. Like 2 HorFun, Fried Rice and Char kway teow, Two simple deserts and drinks was mineral water with a can of Sprite. The food was blunt anyway.

I requested for the iron board again. Personally this time over the counter and explained to them about my situation. They only went ''Oh.'' Nope, i didn`t get my iron board. Had to iron on the bed. yup, that pathetic.

The design of the hotel itself was awful. Who would actually place air con ventilation at the walkway? Top of that, the walk to my room was all covered up. It was warm. the whole entire walk way had air con ventilation. It`s warm because the warm air was released into the walkway. Who design the hotel?

In the end, I didn't pay for the WiFi because i decided not to use.

Oh did i mention that the elevator is slow too?

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear potatoepothead,

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred hotel accommodation during your recent holiday and thank you for taking time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

Further to your comments on the wifi service, please be informed that the wi-fi service is indeed complimentary to the guests, there might be miscommunication due to the terms stated in the wi-fi password which lead to confusion. Rest assured, the issue been notified and necessary action had been conducted to avoid this to happen again and we would like to thank you for brought this up for the Management’s attention.

Your comment on service rendered by the reception has been duly noted and please rests assure re-training have been conducted for our continuous improvement process.

At Bayou Lagoon Park Resort we work very hard to achieve the level of services that our guests are normally accustomed to and continue to be committed to providing all our guests and patrons with the quality services that is expected of us.

Thank you once again for choosing Bayou Lagoon Park Resort and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable comments. We hope that you could afford us the opportunity to be of service to you once again in the near future.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stayed in 3 bedroom apartment. Located near to malacca zoo.
Check in took 30 min due to holiday season. Need to wait at least 20 mins for lifts...very slow. Water theme park only suitable for kids and 9d movie theather under repair. Nothing much to expect.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Maiden0422,
Greetings from Bayou Lagoon Park Resort.
Thank you for choosing us as your preferred hotel accommodation during your recent holiday to Melaka and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable comments. We hope that you could afford us the opportunity to be of service to you once again in the near future.
Bangalore, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

The Bayou hotel is absolutely impossible to find. We had our GPS, the hotel tele no and yet the cabbie couldnt locate the hotel. Took us almost 40 mins to find it. Then the hotel receptionist was really rude made us wait for 20 mins for the room keys, the food is really average. Travel time from hotel to city is 40mins. So please don't stay here.But the room on the other hand was good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Anthony W, General Manager at Bayou Lagoon Park Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Deeceego

Our location is just a 10 minutes’ drive from the Ayer Keroh toll and 25 minutes’ drive to the city not withstanding heavy traffic. However, during peak season, travelling time to the city may take a little longer.

Aside from the travel time, we are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I'd start by saying that this "studio" room was adequate, reasonably priced and clean, the staff "unobtrusive" but friendly when encountered. We asked for a hair-dryer on the first evening of our stay and it was delivered promptly. The car-park was open air and accessed by a staffed security gate, (although the security guards seemed to do little but smile and wave as we came and went).

Check-in was fast and efficient but the lobby seemed rather tired affair and whilst it has "multiple conversation areas" the restaurant/cafe was not open when we arrived and appeared to operate on limited hours. There was a reasonably equipped convenience store however which helped on occasion during our stay.

So, ok is the overall impression. There are some problems however: This is a reasonable 3 star hotel which is rated as a 4 star hotel online and 4 star it is most definitely not. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man but it annoys me that standards are misrepresented.

It goes to show, one needs to read descriptions carefully, in this case starting with the address. Agoda lists the resort area as "Melaka City Centre" but maybe a smart developer named his suburb Melaka City Centre because this hotel is almost 20 Km from the centre of Melaka in a newly developed area with not much else around. One of the ironies for me is that "bayou" is a Franco-American term which refers to wetlands and swamps and this felt much more like it was in a dusty desert.

There is a small collection of shops immediately adjacent but during our stay almost all remained firmly shuttered. So there was a fair bit of travelling by car done during our stay.

We had breakfast in the restaurant on the second day of our stay but it was disappointing and we didn't bother with it the next day. With the exception of some cold and imperfectly mixed scrambled eggs, toast, baked beans, and a little fruit, the menu was entirely mono-cultural Malay food. Admittedly, almost the entire breakfast patronage of the restaurant seemed to be Malay, so I guess that's understandable but in my view, a four star rating demands a bigger variety. Fruit juice was entirely absent and replaced by several very sweet sugar-waters, one of which immediately transported me back 50 years to an uncomfortable childhood incident when I was being dosed with a nasty cough medicine.

There was no pretence at all with tea and coffee. Numerous tea bags and coffee bags bobbed like soggy bayou flotsam within glass containers on a side table, awaiting those who hold a general disregard for quality beverages.

There was no provision for freshly cooked food like roti or an egg bar and the custom with the spreads of jam and peanut butter was for everyone to use the communal knife. I didn't actually see kids licking these utensils but I have seen it in other establishments so I flustered the attendants by asking for a clean knife which was eventually delivered. Four star dining? I really don't think so.

As mentioned before, the room was clean and adequate but the longed-for hot shower after the drive from KL didn't eventuate. The bathroom was equipped with the cheap instant-electric type of hot water supply which demands the patron choose between a trickle of warm water or a full-flow cold shower. The bed was fine with clean linen but it lacked bedside tables and bedside lamps. This meant our "necessaries" had to be left on the floor alongside the bed or elsewhere in the room. Even more inconveniently, we had to walk, in the dark, in a strange room from the light switches on the other side of the room to come to bed. Air conditioning was quiet and very effective. The room was not made up on our second day.

Remaining furniture was generally of poor quality with the sofa being almost unsittably uncomfortable and dilapidated. We don't have a problem with tiled and parquetry floors but some might. There was no passport safe but there was a working bar fridge and bottled drinking water was provided. All in all, ok but just not 4 Star anywhere but in the marketing manager's imagination.

From what we could see, the "Resort" consisted of an acre or so of sun-baked concrete plain with some juvenile thirsty, shadeless palms. Large, mostly unoccupied pools with pretty battered-looking water-slides and inexplicable scaled replicas of the Roman Colosseum and Egyptian monuments added little to any impression of luxury. There were a few very dilapidated "attractions" replete with sleeping staff. To be fair we did see a few kids in the pool the following day as we were leaving to visit the centre of Melaka but it didn't really have the feel of a "resort" for us at all.

To summarise, this is a reasonable 3 star hotel but we'd recommend that you use it midweek. The rate for weekends is up to RM70.00 extra and you could do much better for the money closer to the sights and sounds of Melaka. Unless you have a passion for Malay food, skip the breakfast and save another RM25 per head. Honestly though, I don't think you'll bump into us on your visit to the Bayou.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Amcara

Greetings from Bayou Lagoon Park Resort Melaka!

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred hotel accommodation during your recent holiday and thank you for taking time to provide us with your valuable feedback as your comments are vital for us to continue improving our services and product.

We would like to extend our humble apologies in some areas that you did not experience the entire Bayou Lagoon Park Resort service and product standards as expected and can only asked for your kind indulgence.

Georgetown, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I got this hotel deal via Groupon, and I traveled there during the recent year-end holidays. I stayed at the Amari Villa, and I had a bad first impression of the place... as the check-in process was extremely slow and there was a long queue at the reception from all the guests waiting to check in to their rooms. It was obvious that the reception staff had difficulties handling such a large volume of guests simultaneously, although this was to be expected as it was a holiday season after all. Eventually, some of the guests eventually waited more than an hour just to check in!

My room was a studio suite, which is like a typical hotel room, with a queen-sized bed and a couch, plus a TV in between. Overall, the room was clean and comfortable enough for the two of us, plus our baby. Looking out from our balcony, one can get a slight glimpse of the water theme park just behind the villa.

The breakfast here was quite ok too, as there was a good variety of both local and international breakfast dishes to choose from. Best of all, the entrance to the water park is just behind the cafe where breakfast is served, therefore one can just walk in straight after their meals.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ekeat

Greetings from Bayou Lagoon Park Resort Melaka!

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred hotel accommodation during your recent holiday and for taking time to provide us with your valuable feedback as your comments are vital for us to continue improving our services.

We are glad that overall your stay with us was a pleasant one aside the check in experienced.
We look forward to welcome you again in the near future and remain with best regards in the meantime.

Anthony W

Been to Bayou Lagoon Park Resort? Share your experiences!