“An amazing experience in Mallaca with Casablanca” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Blanca Guest House

Save Saved
You added Casa Blanca Guest House to your Saves list
Casa Blanca Guest House
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   10-J, Jalan Laksamana 2, | Taman Kota Laksamana,, Melaka 75200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #32 of 169 Melaka B&B and Inns
“An amazing experience in Mallaca with Casablanca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we stepped foot into this guesthouse we were warmly greeted by the owner who even helped me lug my wife and I's massive luggage up to our room.

We rented the room with its own washroom but we kind of wish we went with the shares because of how tidy and private it was.

Clean room, great AC, strong WiFi. The room even features a lot of storage space for extended stays. Rooms and bathroom could use a new layer of paint but aside from that this guesthouse brings great value. 5 minute walk to jonker st and all the historical attractions. If coming via bus take bus number 17 to this part of town and get off at the city centre. Just a short walk past the bridge right behind casa del Rio.

Don't forget to say hello to Kitty Max, the friendly grey cat that lives in the veranda.

• Stayed October 2013

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Cheap- $20NZD a night..
Staff were friendly.
Stayed 2 nights, no offer to turn over room.
Kitchen is nice, free tea and toast- although you prob wont cook there with food so cheap.
Family friendly

Great location, you can always leave if not happy and go check into the casa de rio across street.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Alexandria, VA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Fresh smelling linens.
Clean bathroom.
Sweet hosts.
Easy walk to where you want to go.
What more can you ask for from a budget accomodation? You can't expect a 5 star hotel experience for the kind of money that you spend on Casa Blanca. But it's well worth the price. The host family mom is very sweet. Making sound effects to compensate for her English, which she tries so hard to do for the guests! The AC works, and we even got our laundry done while there (self service, but free including washing powder!).

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The location of this guest house is great - it is right next to all the main attractions in Melaka but my review just goes downhill from here. When I arrived, I almost felt the urge to leave at once - it was ridiculously noisy. There was a huge group of tourists from China who were extremely noisy, no make that obnoxiously noisy and it is not me making ethnic stereotypes here, but even the owner of the guesthouse apologized for their obnoxious behaviour, saying that he always has such problems with tourists from China who simply do not understand what it means to show respect to others in the guest house. There was a group of children who were screaming at the top of their voices and I just thought, OMG, get me out of here, I am in hell - the last thing I need right now is a group of noisy screaming kids from China.

To be fair, this is not the fault of the guest house owner - he couldn't refuse guests of any nationality, the best he could do was to try to get them to comply and behave in a considerate manner and to his credit, he did try but failed as they were just ridiculously obnoxious and inconsiderate. The kitchen was a noisy place as there were these China tourists (I use the word China to distinguish them from Singaporean/Malaysian ethnic Chinese tourists, who do not behave in such an obnoxious manner) were cooking all the time and I wondered why they were doing that - why do you travel to a place as exotic as Melaka and then avoid eating out? Instead, they were complaining about just how much they hated the food in Malaysia and how they missed real Chinese food. Yikes - oh and I am Chinese (well British-Chinese) and speak Mandarin, so I did talk to these people.

Sleep quality is bound to be poor given the nature of the layout of the house - and for some reason, maybe he is advertising on some Chinese websites, there are plenty of China-Chinese tourists in this place so be warned if you're not keen on China-Chinese tourists. Look I am Chinese myself (British-Chinese may I add), so I am not being racist but just stating a fact.

The rooms were basic, so basic that I had to place my bags on the floor as there was no furniture. There were some dodgy looking stains on the walls - the place could do with a good clean. The toilets were also fairly basic and could do with a good clean - it wasn't filthy per se, but it looked more like someone's neglected toilet in an old house rather than what one might expect say of a hotel.

Now this place seems to be run by a couple - the wife spoke reasonably good English but the husband struggled with English and as I speak Malay, Mandarin and French, I had to step in and help him translate when he simply couldn't communicate with a few French tourists. Not exactly his fault as the French tourists barely spoke English themselves, but if you only spoke English and not Mandarin/Hokkien/Malay, then you may have some difficulties in communicating. The wifi does work but was a bit slow.

Try not to arrive in Melaka too late as you would miss the last public bus from Melaka Sentral bus station to the downtown area - a taxi is expensive whilst the public bus is very cheap.

Overall, this place is very cheap and would attract backpackers looking for a bargain - but you do get what you pay for. It's not like in Indonesia where you can pay very little and end up with a beautiful little hut on a pristine beach, this is Malaysia, get real. I was looking for a bargain and I suppose I got one at this price, but I do wish I had paid more for a much nicer hotel room. So there you go, that's my warning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We booked 3 nights in this hostel. The welcome was warm. There was free tea, coffee and even laundry could be done.. No iron though.
On yhe downside they let people smoke imside and some bathrooms smell a little. In our bathroom the topsidw of the wall is open so you could enjoy the could and light of the neighbours doing their business. On the window tablet we found two cigarette butts and a used bandage. Has not been cleaned in months. On the room window were several rags.
The rooms was not serviced during our stay, no towels changed and no paper provided. Wifi was very bad, so after all even the low price is too high
Disppointed

• Stayed July 2013
north yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

It's a budget place and its good value for the money. Clean basic room with ensuite, great location and staff were lovely. The 'help yourself' kitchen was really useful and great for making a morning cup of tea and toast. The guesthouse had a lovely welcoming, friendly feel. Melaka itself is a lovely place to visit. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 20 although this was lovely - the wifi did drop in and out occasionally as its the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Me and my three teenage girls just woke up one morning and decided to drive up to Melaka for a stroll. We did a little online research for hotels on our way yet couldn't actually agree on a particular lodging place. Since we were not prepared and just want to spend a relaxing night, we thought it is best to just walk in to a few places and get a feel of the place before we book.

Driving around 'shopping' for a night stay in the most happenin Jonker Street at 4PM on a Monday wasn't easy. Heavy traffic jam forced us to head to a less busy drive way near Melaka River. The girls wanted to have a night boat ride. Thus, we parked into a seemingly safe parking space in front of Casablanca Guest House. Parking was only RM3 per entrance and another RM3 for overnight fee. Cheaper than many parking lots where I lived.

Casablanca Guest House was the first lodging place we walked in. We can't help falling in love with the place in first sight. The entrance was so clean, even the air was pleasant. The kitchen suits us and Wifi is free. The owners were busy handling some other walked in patrons yet greeted us in the first 15 seconds. We just love the homely feeling the moment we stepped in. We had a big air-conditioned family room for four with attached bathroom. For just USD37.00 per night with no hidden cost, we can't ask for anything better.

A well spent safe night stay in Melaka!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casa Blanca Guest House? Share your experiences!