“Beautiful Hotel but very thin walls!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Majestic Malacca

You added The Majestic Malacca to your Saves list
The Majestic Malacca
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   188, Jalan Bunga | Raya, Melaka 75100, Malaysia (Formerly Majestic Hotel)   |
Special Rate
Weekday Special
Ranked #2 of 148 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore
“Beautiful Hotel but very thin walls!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Majestic for a night with our 2-year old while on a weekend trip from Singapore. The hotel is beautiful - lovely colonial architecture for the main lobby but with a modern building right behind it for the rooms. I can't say much for the surrounding area though - being from Singapore, I was appalled at the amount of garbage and standing water in the drains. Having seen that and then seeing the numerous posters on Dengue in the area, I got a little nervous that I didn't bring the mosquito repellant with me.

A major negative point was the EXTREMELY thin walls in the hotel. Everytime someone upstairs flushed the toilet or took a shower, we could hear it. Our neighbor had an infant with them, and he was awoken by the sound of someone upstairs taking an extremely long shower. He cried for about 30 minutes, the entire duration of the shower. My daughter tossed and turned in bed because of the noise and couldn't fall asleep until both the shower and the baby became silent. When someone rang the doorbell next door, we thought it was ours.

During the day, even though we had put a DO NOT DISTURB sign outside, housekeeping vaccuumed the area right outside our door. This is a place where we can even hear the vaccuum a few rooms away. It felt like they were using the vacuum right next to us on the bed.

Although I enjoyed the Majestic's lovely rooms and the excellent staff, I don't think I would stay here again as the walls are too thin. If you have any children or sensitive sleepers in your group, don't stay at the Majestic.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I was deciding between this and Courtyard @ Heeren. It was either the Executive Suite at Heeren or just a basic deluxe room at the Majestic. They both cost about the same. But after scanning through reviews and photos, I decided even if the jacuzzi and the location is tempting at Heeren, If I don't book the Majestic, I'll never get to experience the clawfoot bathtub and the quaint wooden sliding doors of the bathroom that cleverly partitions the room in such a way that it caters for both people who enjoy privacy and the hedonistic exhibitionists. I got a pretty good deal at Agoda - total of USD160 including breakfast. It is a beautifully appointed hotel with a small number of staff who impressed me most because they don't exhibit the flamboyant ostentatious behavior of staff you see at most expensive upmarket establishments. We checked in on a Sunday when most people were checking out. Our host (Bill) at the reception politely asked me to sit down and said he'll be with me shortly when I passed him my hotel confirmation, while a hostess provided me with a wet towel. My partner who was smoking outside came in shortly and she gave him a towel too, although with the number of people in the lounge, I was quite amazed she knew who was checking in and who wasn't.

Shortly after, we were introduced to another lady who brought us to our rooms. It was a smoking room as I have requested and on a higher level as well. She carried with her a quaint Chinese tea set, which she proceeded to serve us while we were in the room. Then she politely explained the functions and equipment of the room and left us to ourselves.

I thought that was it, and I was pretty happy with the welcome alone, but the services extended throughout our stay. Bill told us where we could get good local food nearby, and after having dinner outside, we came back to find that our room has been neatened, the teapot taken away and tea sized caked left for us on a plate. Our blinds were also drawn so that we could sleep better (I hadn't noticed there were blinds, they are very inconspicuous).

On the day of checkout, I had asked Bill where can I buy belachan, as it was sold out at Jonker street the night before and my mum had asked me to buy it for her. Bill graciously said he could arrange to get it for me, and when I returned to the desk an hour later, it was all ready and he handed it to me. The cost was minimal (RM1.80 x 2) but he waived it and refused payment because he said it was a small sum.

Our first drive to Malacca hasn't been good. Firstly, we were fined (about RM66) for not producing a token which we weren't given in the first place (at the Johor toll area). Then when we drove to Carrefour nearby to try to get more cash, we were fined (RM30) for parking in the outdoor lot without a ticket when we were away for only 10 mins. None of the Malaysian cars had tickets. But they were quick to pounce on the only Singapore car.

Bill has graciously offered to help us settle the fine and explained to us that the toll officers hold responsibility of giving us the token and if we weren't given one, we could give him a call and he'll drive out to speak to the officers and he can help us dispute it. We hadn't known that, but knowing now, it was really out-of-the-way hotel service, more than what we expected of a hotel, and it helped soften our bad Malacca experiences and we were less aggrieved.

The room was moderately sized but very adequate and beautifully furnished. We loved the bathtub of course, as well as the rain shower. It was great soaking in the tub while watching TV at the same time.

As other reviewers have commented, the room isn't very sound-proof, and the toiletries were minimal (just your basic shower gel, lotion and body soap). They provided some bath salts for the bathtub. I thought they would provide toothbrushes (but they didn't), and my partner wanted a bath scrub (it would be great if they provided one for the bath tub). The minibar area was quite small, and the bed and pillows were really soft. Pillows were too soft though, and it was difficult to sleep even with two pillows stacked.

But these are just minor issues, and it was overall an excellent stay and we couldn't ask for more from the hotel staff. They was great, effused warmth and genuineness, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to those who like to be pampered.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010 via mobile

Beautiful, charming, quaint, warm, luxurious, pampering, just so lovely. Spa's complimentary hair treatment/massage was out of this world. If you're just staying in malacca for a night, indulge yrself with this hotel. It's simply perfect, enhancing the beauty of this nostalgic village.

• Stayed July 2010
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We loved the style of this hotel, very colonial-type. the room was very elegant, I loved the bathroom.
The swimming pool is not big but has a nice style too and was enough to relax in the evening.
The breakfast room / Restaurant is also magnificent, same colonial style and very good quality of the food.
I particularly loved the breakfast, a lot of freshly made fruit juices, home-made jams, pancakes and so on... and expecially very few people!
The service was great.
From our window we had a great view of the river.
I highly recommend this hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

We are frequent visitors to Malacca and stayed 90% of time in same hotel near Mahkota parade. First time staying at the Majestic hotel. Beautiful room with very nice seating. My picky husband was commenting that we should get similar seating for our house. We thoroughly enjoyed the local food around this area, and walking along the local shops. Nearby, there is a coffeeshop called Mei Sin selling very nice local food and across the coffee shop behind a large parking lot is a place selling yong tau foo, porridge and noodles. Seems like this is a local favourite. Hotel rates are on the high side as it does not include breakfast. We had lunch with our friends at the hotel, strange thing was that lunch was served at the lobby/library and the restaurant was not open for lunch. The nonya set we all had was interesting, a bit of fusion style cooking. Setback was seating as we were seated on sofas and food was placed on the coffee table which makes it uncomfortable. The bedroom was nice except that the walls were pretty thin and you can hear the neighbours' talking. Plumbing noise was quite terrible and you can hear it clearly whenever your neighbour use the toilet and tub. Overall, we did enjoy the experience. Hopefully, next time when we visit, the issue of plumbing noise and thin walls will be taken care of.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
france, saint julien en genevois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Excellent - well located a bit outside the center but nice walk along the river.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We (family with 3 young boys) stayed at the Majestic for a work conference and made a long touristy weekend out of it. Despite being a little tricky to find, stuck in between a hospital and the Merdeka River, the gorgeousness of this restored 1920's old Malacca house becomes apparent. The Peranakan style of the house, the sympathetic reconstruction of the hotel rooms behind the old house, and the traditional kebaya-wearing staff have created a unique resort in Malacca. (Its owned by the YTL group who run a few similar boutique hotels in Malaysia). Despite not appearing to be a family-friendly place (not many places are with 3 very lively young boys) the adoring staff soon proved me wrong, by playing hours of congkak and scrabble with my kids in the library and helping them with their meals in the upstairs dining room.

The pool is small but still functional, however due to space restrictions its located right in front of the excellent spa treatment rooms; I'm not sure what the lovely ladies having their facials thought of my sons screaming as they jumped into the pool!

The rooms themselves were the highlight for me (although the buffet breakfast was a very close second). The furniture is original or copied traditional malay/colonial style, dark teaks, claw foot baths and four poster beds. Historical pictures and coffee table books of Malacca are thoughtful details.

The upstairs dining room caters for breakfast, lunch and dinner and has an excellent choice in Western style and Malay meals. My kids were most impressed with the ice creams - with waffles for brekkie, sundaes for afternoon tea and yet more for dessert! Again the attentive staff assisted with our fussy meal requests, and then provided a great babysitting service one afternoon.

While the location is not prime, I don't think anyone comes to Malacca for the view - it is in close walking distance to Sentosa Island, the river cruise, and there's a tourist walk brochure the hotel staff will provide and explain. Its only a short 5min taxi ride to Jonker's Walk anyway - and a slightly longer (but more fun) trishaw ride back to the hotel. While not cheap its most definitely a unique and memorable hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Majestic Malacca? Share your experiences!