“Fabulous boutique hotel - simple elegance and decadence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Majestic Malacca

You added The Majestic Malacca to your Saves list
The Majestic Malacca
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   188, Jalan Bunga | Raya, Melaka 75100, Malaysia (Formerly Majestic Hotel)   |
Special Rate
Weekday Special
Ranked #2 of 149 Hotels in Melaka
Vancouver, Canada
“Fabulous boutique hotel - simple elegance and decadence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

The Majestic in Malacca is a fabulous boutique hotel - it's facade is about 92 years old while the 10 floors of rooms are situated behind the facade and is about six years old.
As I entered the hotel, I was greeted by three or four hotel staff, all with warm and gorgeous smiles. While the front desk staff was checking me in, another provided me with a cold face cloth to comfort me from the warmth outside.
Upon being shown up to my room, another staff member provided me with a teapot of lychee tea - simply decadent and considerate, reflecting the warmth and welcoming nature of Malaysians in general.
The room was beautifully appointed with a gorgeous claw foot tub on tiled bathroom floors and a shower stall as well.
***this hotel provide the MOST COMFORTABLE BED & PILLOWS - I had the absolute BEST sleep in four weeks since starting my vacation through Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and Malaysia. So impressed was I, that I even took the trouble of checking out the manufacturer of the bedding furnishings!!

There is a modest pool situated beside the gym, both of which are between the hotel facade and the building that houses the rooms.

The restaurant attached to the hotel is located upstairs within the older facade - the chef offers cooking classes for local peranakan (baba nyonya) dishes which is a attractive feature for foodies. Breakfast comprises of big local dishes as well as Western breakfast options; dinners are also available however, it may be a bit pricey for some.

Another nice feature of this hotel is at it's directly in front of a 'living museum' in which traditional and heritage homes within a traditional kampung (village) still stands and houses locals. There is also a concrete walkway that takes one along the river toward Jonkers street and Hireen street where local peranakan restaurants and antique stores abound for adventurous travellers.

Room Tip: Top floor (10th floor) corner room facing the river
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
BenQuah, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

We read with absolute delight to know that you enjoyed your stay at The Majestic Malacca.Your review and acknowledgement of our team's dedicated engagement and effort to provide our guest an enjoyable experience have been received with much cheers and enthusiasm.
Thank you for sharing your review with other Trip Advisor aficionados and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Ben Quah and team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mandurah, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We were a family of three staying in Melacca for 5 nights as part of a bigger trip around Malaysia and I have to say that our stay at the Majestic was a highlight of the trip. The hotel itself is very stylish in an old colonial way. I felt like Somerset Maugham while sipping a G and T at the bar on a balmy Malacca evening. Food at the restaurant is great - especially the breakfast - location is good but the staff are the best feature of the hotel. I have travelled very extensively and I found the staff at the Malacca to be the friendliest and most helpful that I have ever experienced. Nothing is too much for them to help with and they remember the tiniest of your preferences and second-guess what else you might like once they get to know you. Front counter staff, concierges, restaurant staff and management were all exceptional. I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be visiting again myself.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
BenQuah, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are please to know that your stay with us in The Majestic Malacca was enjoyable and the service experience you had was the highlight of your holiday. My team and I thank you for sharing your experience and your review is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

My first choice hotel when I go to Malacca. I am from Malacca and visit my hometown often and always choose The Majestic as my preferred hotel. Good location. Staff could be trained a little better, There seem to be several staff changes each time I visit. Except for the Nepali bell boy whom we have known for a while now and goes out of his way to help, the rest of the team seem to be new.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your return stay at The Majestic Malacca. It is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Would like to thank Adi from reservation office for accommodating my last minute cancellation then reinstatement, as I only made up my mind hours before checking in.

Hotel is conveniently located, staff are the friendly and ambience was nostalgic at the hotel lobby.

May not be the best choice for family with kids, but sure undoubtedly a great getaway hotel for couples.

Spa village provides excellent massage treatments. Overall speaking this could be the best hotel stay experience in Melaka.

Room Tip: All rooms are river facing. For non-smoker, make sure you request non-smoking room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
BenQuah, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us in The Majestic Malacca and we thank you for taking time off to share your review.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

First of all hotel décor and staff were great. Very good location and enjoyed the trip.
Unfortunately the room was very noisy........screaming kids one side and very noisy plumbing on the other. The good and the bad.......but a great looking place......

Room Tip: Avoid noisy guests and plumbing...........!!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay in The Majestic Malacca and it is much appreciated.

Ben Quah
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Service was impeccable, staff were always cheerful, welcoming and courteous. Hotel is located in a convenient location - a short walk to the famous Jonker Street, and next to the hotel are lots of local coffee shops and convenience stores. They provide an excellent 2 hour free ''historical walk'' and the staff Rahayu who conducts the tour was very professional.

Try the Pandan Coconut hair mask - it was relaxing and they paid attention to detail, even installing tv screen on the ceiling for you to watch videos while your hair is being washed. The Peranakan Bath can be taken in your room and it was truly luxurious. There is an intern-waitress called Min at the Mansion (restaurant) and she was a joy to all guests - always smiling and helping guests. She told me she was studying hospitality management .

A few items for the hotel to note to enhance guests' experience:
1. Improve on the food taste and quality - it's ironic that the Peranakan food (sampler advertiser) is way below par at the Mansion. Even the western food (the snapper on the pasta) was cold and the whole dish tasted flat.
2. Provide disposable underwear for ladies who use the massage treatments, like most spas do
3. Provide wifi at the lobby, like many hotels do (what more a luxury one !)
4. Provide a clock and full length mirror in the room
5. Print postcards of various variety for sale - currently they have only one type in the room. Given the beautiful setting in the hotel I am sure they could take more great photos and make more variety for sale.
6. Improve the water pressure to enhance the shower facilities.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
BenQuah, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

It is with much appreciation to read your review on your recent stay with us in The Majestic Malacca. Your feedback has been noted for action as we continue to strive to improve our guest experience and we thank you for taking time to share them with us.
Ben Quah
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

I am really struggling to convey how wonderful our stay was at the Majestic.
We arrived hot tired & probably none too fragrant after a 13 hour flight and two hour drive. We were immediately given cold towels (bliss) checked in and shown to our room and some lychee tea to enjoy whilst we settled in.
The room had a luxurious old colonial feel ( as does the hotel at large) and overlooks the river (which is interesting to walk along on the way to the heritage site of Jonker Street et al) it also overlooks a huge building site which I believe is to be a shopping mall and hotel complex. Fear not the site is not noisy and provided my partner and I with hours of entertainment as we watched the workers and cranes whilst sipping ice cold drinks and nibbling the kindly provided "munchies" of scrumptious nuts etc. The Majestic provides an oasis of calm and culture from which to venture out into the hurly burly of the town at large.
The real stand out feature of this hotel is the staff. Without exception they were polite, pleasant and informative. They were also seemingly genuinely interested in our doings and made helpful suggestions about things we might enjoy not only in Melaka but on the next leg of our sojourn
to KL and Penang.
Breakfast was good, offering staple cereals and fruits plus a cooked option, from which I heartily recommend the pancakes (delicious).
I absolutely loved this hotel, I only wish we could have taken it with us to the other parts of our journey through Malaysia. Lovely ambience, fabulous staff and good facilities, in fact it was more like staying with good friends than an hotel stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
BenQuah, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review and sharing your experience on your recent stay with us in The Majestic Malacca. We are delighted to know that you and partner had an enjoyable start in The Majestic Malacca to your holiday in Malaysia and your feedback have been shared to all our personnel which was warmly received and appreciated.

Thank you and warm regards.

Ben Quah and team

Been to The Majestic Malacca? Share your experiences!