“Worth Every Penny!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Majestic Malacca

You added The Majestic Malacca to your Saves list
The Majestic Malacca
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   188, Jalan Bunga | Raya, Melaka 75100, Malaysia (Formerly Majestic Hotel)   |
Special Rate
Free WiFi & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 152 Hotels in Melaka
Bangkok
“Worth Every Penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I recently stayed 2 nights at the Majestic and even if Melaka on its own is very special, by staying at the Majestic it becomes even more special. I loved it. It works. The staff are excellent and the hotel doesn't miss anything. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
BenQuah, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and it is much appreciated. We look forward to see you again.

Ben Quah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This hotel is a lovely heritage building - unfortunately it is surrounded by derelict looking buildings and construction sites. The welcome was lovely with a cool towel and cold drink and very friendly staff. The Chinese tea served in your room on arrival was a great surprise. The room is luxurious with a very comfy king size bed and antique looking fittings in the bathroom. Breakfast was lovely surrounded by antiques and the domination has a lovely ambience. On the negative side, there were loud noises from the plumbing when neighbors used the bathroom and the shower leaked badly. As we were only there for one night, we didn't alert the management so I can't say if it was fixed quickly or not. Overall a comfortable stay but the surroundings are a bit off putting.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
BenQuah, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and noted on the comments. My apologies for the inconveniences during your stay with us and we looking forward in welcoming you back again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

5 star hotel with a heritage reception building.

Pros:
- heritage building
- large rooms and bathrooms
- designer glass gym
- authentic finishes and setting
- welcome tea
- good service (it is 5-star rated after all)
- freshly cooked breakfast mains

Cons:
- noisy plumbing
- small pool
- separate grounds for outdoor uncovered carpark
- bathroom can't be locked (privacy issues if travelers are not a couple)

Overall the hotel was rather nice but I felt that the price charged (similar to a top grade hotel in the capital city of Kuala Lumpur) isn't justifiable for what is actually just another city hotel rather than a resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and it is much appreciated. Noted on the comments and we will look into areas for our continuous improvement. We look forward to see you again in the near future.

Wanneroo, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Right from the welcoming start with a cold hand towel and ice water drink to cool down we felt very welcome.
Unlike some other Asian hotels we have visited, where once the newness wears off it looks rundown, this hotel is kept sparkly. When the blind broke when I tried to open it a few days later it was replaced as soon as we went out.
Buffet breakfast is very good - even the orange juice is fresh unlike the reconstituted powdery stuff you sometimes get.
The only negative we found, and it isn't the hotel's fault, is that there is a monstrous hotel being built opposite so this detracts from the view.
We had a great time and will definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and it is much appreciated. We look forward to see you again in the near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

It was my first time to stay at the Majestic.. My husband and I hardly splurged, but this time we did as it has been a long while since we had time for a holiday and we thought it would be nice to pamper ourselves once in a while.

The impression I got upon arrival was GREAT! I had a wonderful time walking in, taking in all the beauty and uniqueness of the preserved 'old' mansion and with the thought that it is a 5-star hotel (probably safe and welcoming), I relaxed as I felt very pampered and comfortable.

Check-in went smoothly as well. The staff asked us to sit comfortably on the sofa as we waited for confirmation that the room was ready. We were given a cold towel to freshen up as it was a hot day (which I thought was a lovely touch). Then, a friendly, all-smiles receptionist, carrying a mysterious basket ushered us to our room and gave us a mini tour of the hotel. All the way to our room, she explained the history and details of the hotel and was attentive to our needs. She even poured us two lovely cups of tea (which was kept warm inside the mysterious basket). I felt all dreamy and for those moments, I felt like this splurging we did, was worth it.

Then I realized I left my phone in the lobby. Immediately, I did a thorough search of the room and my husband tried calling the line, but it was already switched off. This is when the horror struck. I was sure I left it in the lobby but I didn't want to make any false claims so I rushed back to our car, thinking that perhaps, somehow, I left it in the car? But why would it be switched off? Unsurprisingly, It wasn't in the car.

We went back to the lobby, and asked the receptionist who showed us around, if there was any phone found during the last 10 minutes in the lobby. Nope. Nothing. I requested to see the CCTV. The manager was kind enough to make an exception to let me take a look (even though he disappeared hereafter). They took about 2 hours to prep the cctv and do some internal investigations. I was still hopeful then, that perhaps, I would be able to find out exactly what might have happened from the CCTV.. Then guess what, they don't have any coverage of the lobby area. The CCTV covers only their entrances/exits. So there really was nothing to see and nothing to prove or disprove. Then they said they will continue to look for it/ask around while suggesting that I should not waste my holiday and go out..

I tried to spend the rest of my afternoon outside but I just couldn't feel comfortable to be staying in the Majestic anymore at that point of time. When we returned from dinner, the staff(s) who knew of my situation did not seem to really care about the missing phone. There was no so-called update that they promised until I approached them and personally asked if there was any progress, if there was any report at the lost and found etc.

If you think about it, yes, there is a chance that another guest might have taken it. But REALLY? Do you think an old iphone4 (not even a 5 or 4S), is that tempting to another guest who's already more than willing to pay for a 5-star hotel price? I can't deny that there is a chance that people who are willing to spend might be dishonest at the same time. This is debatable but I don't think they will risk getting themselves exposed by the CCTV, unless they already knew the CCTV doesn't cover the lobby area. Very debatable indeed.

Then there is also a chance that a 5-star hotel can't guarantee the quality of the staff they hire isn't it? I really don't wish to point fingers here... But you can feel it when someone says 'I'm sorry for your lost' without meaning it. Maybe he has a poker face; Maybe he has some dead nerves in his face. but how can the hospitality feel so different in a matter of 10 minutes? It just feels weird. Maybe they fear I'm making things up? Maybe their weakness is not knowing how to be genuinely hospitable even when things go wrong? Also very debatable.

For a while, I couldn't comprehend why a case like this could have happened at a '5-star hotel'. But I've come to terms with that it is after all in Malaysia and the lesson of the day is: if you're going to the Majestic, (or any other hotels for that matter) just be very careful of your valuables. It really doesn't matter if the hotel is 5-starred or not and if the guests/staffs seemed friendly or kind. What matters is your own meticulousness and care.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and noted on your comments. Pertaining on your missing phone, the team and I have investigated and done all we could to assist you and furthermore you claimed that your phone to be missing a public area whereby accessible by all guests. Nevertheless, my apologies for the inconveniences during your stay with us and we hope to serve you better in the near future.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is the first time I stayed at the Majestic and I will keep an amazing memory of it. I look forward to going back there again.
The service is absolutely amazing. They are very detailed and aiming to please at all times.
The setting is beautiful, the room are cozy are very nicely arranged and decorated. Bed is comfy, the bathtub is marvelous, the view on the Kampung Mortem is nice.
You really get some value for your money there.
Though I didn't take the breakfast, my friend told me it was the best he ever had from all his years of traveling.
If you wanted to find fault with something, I guess you could "complain" about the fact that the hotel is 15 minutes away from Jonker Street, but the walk along the river to get there is so nice that like I said, this hotel is a Jewel in Malacca.

Thanks to the staff for such a good service. Keep it on.

Room Tip: Ask for a view on the Kampung Mortem.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and it is much appreciated. We look forward to your next visit.

Semaphore, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We travelled as two couples and had very thoughtfully been given two adjoining rooms. Unlike the usual adjoining rooms these were identical, large beds, big baths and very comfortable. On arrival we were welcomed with cold towels and were escorted to our rooms and the amenities explained over a lovely cup or two of Chinese tea. Every staff member we bumped into to or who served us during our brief two day stay greeted us warmly, nothing was too much trouble for them. Breakfasts were a lovely occasion and served with no fuss or bother. The food was tasty and whilst we had Asian style our friends had English style breakfasts and we were all pleased with both styles of delicious food served.
The very lively Jonkers Street is nearby, just a pleasant evening stroll along the river away. A meal at Nancy's Kitchen was a treat and it is just a little bit off Jonkers Street.
All in all we would loved to have had the time so stay a little longer at this delightful hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BenQuah, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for feedback on your recent stay. We are delighted to know that your stay was pleasant and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Ben Quah

Been to The Majestic Malacca? Share your experiences!