“Lots of noise, electricity went out, had to ask for ice X3 and more” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Majestic Malacca

You added The Majestic Malacca to your Saves list
The Majestic Malacca
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   188, Jalan Bunga | Raya, Melaka 75100, Malaysia (Formerly Majestic Hotel)   |
Special Rate
Free WiFi & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 152 Hotels in Melaka
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Lots of noise, electricity went out, had to ask for ice X3 and more”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This may be all there is in Malacca and if so, how dreadful. This hotel is located across from a construction site and close to abandoned houses in disrepair. There is a hospital to another side. Not only is there noise from this, but there is no insulation between rooms so if anyone uses the bathroom in the rooms to either side, the noise comes right through the wall. Service such as a manicure was expensive and wine with dinner was $100.00--NYC prices.
Additionally in our room, the rug was turned over so tripping over it was easy. I spoke to the manager and the rug was turned another way, but still had a flap up (not as bad) so danger still existed.
When the electricity went out, my husband's charger was burned to toast. There is no way to get this rectified because the English spoken here is formula like and therefore few understand us when we try to say more than "Good Morning".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BenQuah, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. My sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your stay with us and rest assure that we are taking corrective measures for our continuous improvement.

Ben Quah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had a four day excursion to Melaka from Singapore last December. The reviews in Trip Advisor obviously attract you to this Hotel. In fact, it wasn't our first choice as the Casa del Rio has slightly more flexible rooms and is in a more central location. However, they we full so we "ended up" here. On this occasion fate dealt us a forgiving hand.

If you look up photos of the Majestic on Google images, you will see it as a backpackers' venue in the late 1980's. This part of Asia has certainly changed in that time and this establishment is no exception. Actually, the surrounding neighbourhood is still developing; your room overlooks the folly that is the monorail and there is a generally unfinished feel to the streets below.

Once you enter the gates to the hotel, things are very different. You receive a proper five star welcome. The team meet you from your taxi and escort you to one of the beautifully furnished rooms off the main entrance. You are served tea whilst the business of check-in is carried out. The reception, bar and dining rooms are all in the old building. The living accommodation and spa are in a sympathetically styled annexe behind. In between, is the gym and swimming pool.

Our room was on the top floor and overlooked the river. The photo shows how "unfinished" the surroundings are. Most of the major attractions are, at least, a mile away. We travelled with my ageing parents so taxis were used regularly. The Nyonyan heritage village is close by however. It will be interesting to see what happens to this neighbourhood over the next five years.

The rooms are beautiful. We had three together (two adjoining). The bed is massive. We had a roll top bath + separate shower. There were also tea facilities and a flat screen television. Wifi was not working from the rooms but there was a cable point for your PC. There is wifi in the bar.

Breakfast is a mixture of buffet and cooked food. There is a menu of British, continental and local hot options. I worked my way through the lot during the stay and would say that the Helal versions of bacon and sausage are just OK. The local delicacies are much tastier.

Four nights is probably one too many for this city. Four nights is definitely one too few for this hotel. The staff were incredible; always attentive, helping us with our baby and smiling despite their long shifts. This hotel represents excellent value for money, when you compare it to ones in Singapore. The quality of the breakfast also sets it apart from some of the other Hotels in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking the river.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BenQuah, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted to know that your stay was pleasant. Looking forward in welcoming you back again.

Hertford UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We spent three nights at the Majestic and found it to be a well run, and comfortable hotel. True its a little way outside the centre, but it is walkable, and there are plenty of taxis. They have a good spa, with an excellent massage service - I had a back problem which got a lot better after my massage. The rooms are comfortable, spacious, and well equipped, although some may find the "open plan" bathroom a little disconcerting. Like the rest of Malaysia Malacca seems to be in the middle of a building boom and the Majestic is impacted. So the view from our room included not only the old town, the sea, and Kampung Morten, but also an under construction mall/tower block complex,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BenQuah, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted to know that your stay was pleasant. Looking forward to see you again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

My wife called this hotel vintage chic and I couldn't agree more. The staff is also wonderful. Anything you need, they will take care if it. We stayed just for one night to explore the city and we had a wonderful time. Upon checkin the receptionist took us to our room and even served us afternoon tea. The gym is perfect for a quick workout. It has 2 treadmills, an elliptical, 2 bikes, and some free weights. The pool looked lovely but we did not use it due to some rain.

The breakfast was also delicious. Excellent breads and fruits and you can even order off their breakfast menu or get a custom omelette. The lobby is well appointed and small snacks are plentiful.

The only ding I can give the majestic is there was not wifi in the room. They did have a hard wires connection which worked well for the laptop but if you bring iPads or cell phones you will have to go to the lobby for Internet.

Overall a lovely place in Melaka!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and it is much appreciated. Looking forward in welcoming you back again.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The best accommodation of ever !!! We also had the "english tea time" and it has been a sensorial experience. Excellent hotel and outstanding service, can't wait to get there again in the next future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
BenQuah, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, February 8, 2013

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Husband and I stayed here for only one night, as a day trip from KL. There is something 'majestic' about staying in an older, restored hotel with a bit of history.

Our room was available to us, despite our early arrival. The check-in staff were very welcoming and gave us a brief history of the hotel, which was a lovely touch. Another nice touch was the lovely tea in a traditional tea set brought to our room as a welcome.

We had their standard room, which was quite nice. Roomy enough (for a short stay) and pleasantly decorated. As other reviewers have noted, the rooms are not particularly sound proof, with quite noisy plumbing at times. This was not enough to wake us or keep us up, and we experienced no other disturbances during our stay.

The bed was very comfortable, and the linen was lovely. The turn down service was particularly well executed, with the additional bonus of some local desserts left for us to enjoy upon our return from a night out.

We had pre-dinner drinks at the bar, which were okay. We also had dinner in the restaurant. The service was very good and the food was fine, but I certainly think there'd be much better options for the money elsewhere in Melaka.

The breakfast was quite good, with some standard options from the buffet, plus the ability to order from an al la cart menu. The breakfast was incredibly busy, though, and we had to wait for a table and then several times for service throughout the meal. As with everywhere in Asia, the coffee served at breakfast was atrocious!! :-S

Overall, we had a pleasant stay in a nice, well located hotel with a little bit of history and good staff.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

KL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I hadn't been to Melaka for a number of years and I needed to see a supplier in the town. Because of that and the kids not being there I figured I'd go for the night and stay at a nice place as I imagined it would be a few years before I do it again. I got onto the Majestic via the reviews on TA and because my wife also suggested it.

We drove from KL to Melaka and for the most parts it's a very good 3 up and 3 back lane highway, this part of it only took about 90min or so but when you hit Melaka you get to a hoard of traffic lights and the centre of Melaka now is a pretty cramped area with a number of 1 way roads. A quick tip for everyone, the parking for the hotel is around the back of the hotel and you cannot access it from the main entry, you will need to go back out and drive around. The parking itself is pretty good, it's open air but right next to the hotel and it's free.

The hotel itself consists of 2 parts, the main reception which is a restored building and the hotel itself which is a modern multistory building. I must say when coming in it was very pleasant, there are decorations for Gong Xi and I found the staff very friendly and they also got me a coffee :) . While we did get in early I was a bit surprised to hear that the room wouldn't be ready until 3pm. We took the opportunity to take a walk down to Jonker street but to do this properly you will need a GPS as I found the map they provided not fantastic and there are few signs along the way to point you to the tourist area. The walk its;ef is ~1km (maybe less if you do it correctly).

After returning at around 2:30 and asking about the room we were told it was all done. The rooms themselves are modern yet made out to be a rustic Melaka style. The bed is huge and there is an open bathroom. The bathroom while nice and neat was not my favorite especially if you travel with kids as there is only a wooden slat wall on 2 sides for privacy. I didn't bring any laptops along so I'm not sure about the Internet access.

The room also has the usual amenities like coffee making, TV with common channels, hair dryer etc.. The view from the window is nothing special as the side we were on (Room 804) overlooks part of the river and housing area. Inside the room is was cool and quiet so I had a pretty good time just letting the kids have a bath and relaxing after my walk. The room also has a daybed which is great if you bring 1 extra too many kids so they will have someone to stay without the need to pay for an extra bed.

During my vegetation, on a massive king size bed, Mrs Me went of to the spa, I cannot comment directly about that but she said she had a good time.

For Dinner, instead of going out we decided to stay in as one of us have an upset tummy. The menu offered only around 5 dishes (not complaining, better to do less well than lots badly) and I found the quality of the food was pretty good but the prices, even by KL standards were pretty high. If I had to do it again I would go down to the corner shop and get a cheaper meal. During the meal some of the staff came up to have a chat which was pretty good as I found most of them were genuinely friendly and enjoyed chatting with the customers, something pretty unusual from my experiences of traveling.

The next day the kids went to the pool but because of the pools location which is between the 2 buildings it does not get a great amount of exposure to the sun which meant when they went in the morning it was pretty cold and there is also a bit of a wind tunnel making it chilly when they got out. Not a big problem though as I saw a number of others by the pool.

All in all, I would go back with no problem but it should be pointed out this is the level you would expect for what's most likely the most expensive hotel in Melaka.

While there I recommend going to the Baba-Nonya museum (No.1 in the things to do section), it's a little to go in but if you go during the guided tour you will come away with a bit more appreciation of how the melding of 2 culture, for a time, worked really well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Ben Quah

Been to The Majestic Malacca? Share your experiences!