“Convenient location, comfortable room” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Equatorial Melaka
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bandar Hilir, Melaka 75000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #9 of 144 hotels in Melaka
Singapore, Singapore
“Convenient location, comfortable room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located near the major shopping malls and this is a key reason why I chose this hotel. It lived up to my expectation in terms of its accessibility to the shopping malls. The room is clean, the beds are comfortable, the toilet is well-maintained and the air-con is working so we have nothing to complain about as far as accommodation is concerned. If there were to be any gripe, it is the slow elevators which seem to take forever to arrive.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review and we are very pleased that your stay has been enjoyable. We are glad that the service, room and hotel facility has met to your expectation.

Nevertheless, we apologize for the long wait for the elevators. I have shared your comments with my Chief Engineer and we are currently looking in to the best possible way to minimize the waiting time in future.

We certainly cherish your patronage and we look forward to welcome you back to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.

841 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

One of the first hotels in Melaka, the EQ has stood the test of time and been recently refurbished. It still maintains its old world charm, and is popular with locals and foreigners. We had stayed 3 nights over one of the busier weekends just before Christmas 2013, and had booked two Premium rooms for our family. On the last night, we upgraded ourselves to an Equator club, and our other party to a suite. This meant access to the Club floor located on the 21st floor. Being at EQ, was an excellent retreat, while being smack in the thick of all things Melaka.
Pros
- Location was great, to access all that Melaka has to offer. Is a 5 minute walk to Afamosa and a 15minute walk to Jonker Street, and is flanked by two malls - Mahkota Parade and Dataran Pahlawan. The latter is an Aladdin's cave of cheap and cheerful to mainstream brands. We did quite a bit of shopping here, and has good value VCDs which we bought for our suite.
- Well spacious appointed rooms, with the newly upgraded Premier rooms offering great value with a daybed instead of a balcony. It has all the amenities expected ie power showers, free wifi, safe, iron board etc. The decor was light and beige tones, and liked the Melaka scenes that adorned the walls for a unique yet local feel.
- Wonderful and comfy beds, even the daybed was spacious with up to one adult and a child being able to sleep snugly on it.
- Great breakfast with choice of Western and Asian, especially love the rice porridge (with pumpkin one day :), and yogurt choices. A definite winner, despite the 10minute wait for a breakfast.
- The pool was well used by the children, while the adults found the gym, sauna and steam room a boon and respite from the crowds.
- Free and available parking in congested Melaka was great.
Cons
- The spread at the Club floor was disappointing, with only the view the highlight.
- The huge crowds at breakfast, which meant a 10-15minute wait for tables for our party of 8. There was always a long queue for breakfast. The Rest house was having problems seating people, and they did offer the tables outside, which was a bother for some having to walk further for their food. They should consider having additional venues at peak periods.
Overall, a great stay and highly recommended to those wanting to see historical Melaka.

Room Tip: Pay more for a Premium room for better value
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and we are very pleased that your stay has been pleasant.

It is certainly pleasing to know you had an enjoyable stay and the opportunity to experience our Premier room.

Nevertheless, we will make every effort to improve on the waiting time at breakfast period.

Once again, my sincere appreciation for taking the time to post your review which certainly is helpful for us to improve further and I look forward to welcome you back.

Seremban, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

It was my first time staying at Equatorial , I was a bit skeptical about them and my fear turned out to be true. Hotel is just below average, buffet breakfast is disappointing. We were made to sit on a table which was apparently just cleaned but had cutlery with spots. I asked for a simple cheese omlette and was told they only have ham. I tried Roti Canai and I can bet it was stale, I couldn't bite into it. Room also looked dated, towels provided at Spa were torn and dirty. Toiletries were not provided in the bathroom and had to call up room service. Once I got them I regretted forgetting my own tooth brush and shaver(The one provided by hotel was of substandard quality). Staff was courteous and that is the only plus I can draw during my visit.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the unpleasant encounters and I have taken a serious view on all your feedback. I have addressed them with all my colleagues responsible in their respective areas for immediate corrective actions and improvements.

SG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Overall the hotel stay is a great experience since it was my first time staying there. Staff was not very friendly probably due to the fact that it was a very busy day due to the school holidays. However, the overall experience with their service is still decent if not good despite them being very pre-occupied.

Rooms are clean and the air-conditioning was sufficient. Not freezing cold or too warm.

Bathroom amnesties are all readily available. Shower foam, shampoo, toothbrushes and the usual standard stuff. A safe, iron and ironing board can be found in the wardrobe.

Plenty of food can be found nearby. For the fast food junkies there is still Macdonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken nearby and for the more adventurous, there is a food street nearer to Mahkota Parade area.

If you are into museums, directly behind the hotel just walk along Jalan Parameswara, you will come to a small gate and within this area are where quite a number of museums are. Entry to some of the museum requires an entrance fee so do take note of that.

Jonker street was about 20 minutes walk for us.

Overall the stay was pleasant and enjoyable for all of us despite the short period of time spent there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

It is certainly regretful to hear the friendliness were lacking, rest assured we will make every effort to improve on our shortcomings and we certainly look forward to welcome you back again to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

5-star hotel but more like 3-star due to it's age. The toilets especially the bath tubs are due to be changed. However, the rooms are clean and well-kept.

Location - very central. Near to A-Famosa/Stadhurst (probably about 15-20 mins walk). Jonker Street is about 20-25mins walk. The Pahlawan Shopping Mall is right across the road from the hotel. There you can find quite a bit of food. There is a nice little food court on the 4th floor, worth exploring. The food is not too bad but definitely can't beat the famous local eatery outside.

Room - size is ok, bathroom is ok but bathtub really has to be changed. Couldn't even think about soaking in it no matter how much I wanted to! There is soap, shampoo, body lotion, earbuds, shower cap, nice fluffy clean towels, comfy bed and pillows, room slippers but no bathrobe. All no smoking rooms but all rooms has a small balcony so can smoking is actually possible on the balcony.

It is an old hotel but pretty well-maintained. Decor is 'classical' if you may.

Staff - friendly & speaks good English.

Eatery and night entertainment is about 10 mins walk away.

The pool is pretty decent for swimming laps, about 25m. Pool towels provided.

Overall the stay was good and pretty good value for money.

Room Tip: Request for a room that faces the Straits of Melaka.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Nevertheless, I have noted on your comment with regards to the bathtub and will definitely look into changing them at our next refurbishment plan.

I sincerely thank you for your patronage and I look forward to welcome you back.

Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

The room was great and the staff were really helpful. We enjoyed our stay and were very comfortable. The only thing (as noted by many of the below reviews) is the wifi, it is something that you would expect to be a part of the room charge given how much you are paying. Having said that for the price we paid the place was lovely, the pool was great and I would probably go back.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Nevertheless, I have noted on your comment with regards to the Wi-Fi and will definitely look into our offerings in future.

Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Hotel Equatorial Melaka while we celebrated our Little Boy 2nd Birthday. The hotel is clean, great location and staff are really friendly... I would recommend to anyone that wants to go Melaka and have their stay there...

When we arrive, they managed to let us to check-in early and also i have bought a Birthday cake all the way from KL to Melaka. The hotel staff help me to keep the cake in the refrigerator. Then In the evening after we have visited a few places and had our dinner, we went back to the hotel by 9pm and i collect my son's Birthday cake. We then realised that there isn't any lighter or match box in the room so we went down to the reception to ask the staff for it as we want to light up the candles for my son's cake. The hotel staff promised to get the match box to our rooms later. After a while our door bell rang and the staff managed to get us the match box. Thus, my little boy had his big smile after blowing his Birthday Candles... it was such a warm moment to us.

The next morning we a due to check-out, as my sister isn't feeling well i called the reception again and ask them if i could have a late check-out. They offered me a late check-out an hour later in which its a big help for me as my sister could rest in the hotel for an additional hour. On our way to check-out, the concierge staff helps us to get our luggages back to the car and my son too has a few concierge friends and he was telling me all the big brother and uncles are "Good"... even a 2 years old can say that... guess what, the rooms, services and hospitality is really good in the hotel.

Room Tip: Request for a High Floor and Sea View. All hotel rooms are worth of it. If you have a family, reques...
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that we have met to your expectation and that your 2 year old son had a wonderful birthday.

Once again, our sincere appreciations to you for taking the time to provide us with your kind review. We look forward to welcome you back to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.

Adrian Chung

Been to Hotel Equatorial Melaka? Share your experiences!