“Excellent hotel. Great location. Perfect weekend away” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Equatorial Melaka to your Saves list
Hotel Equatorial Melaka
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bandar Hilir, Melaka 75000, Malaysia   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #11 of 148 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent hotel. Great location. Perfect weekend away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Me and my friend booked a Groupon from Singapore for a one night stay in Melaka at the Hotel equatorial. We both didn't expect very much from the hotel as the Groupon was so cheap and we were both very pleasantly surprised when we got to the hotel. The hotel was in a great location directly across from the main shopping malls and around a 15min walk from the river and main sightseeing spots.

The welcome at the hotel was very friendly and efficient and they managed to provide us with a twin room at the last minute which was not expected. The hotel is very nicely decorated and the facilities are well kept. The staff we met were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help us.

The room was lovely! Very modern but homely with its decoration with all the amenities that you would need for a night away. and the view from the balcony was lovely. The beds were very comfortable and we had a lovely nights sleep.

Breakfast was very nice and there was a wide selection of food to suit all tastes. I am quite a fussy eater and i managed a huge breakfast with the choice that was on offer.

We also used the hotels facilities and although the spa was divided into separate men and women areas it was very nice, comfortable and relaxing. One small gripe was that the Jacuzzi wasn't very good (more like a spitting bath) but the steam sauna and outdoor pool were excellent.

If i was to return to Melaka i would most defiantly return to this hotel as we had a lovely stay for a very reasonable price. I would defiantly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Higher up would be better as you get a better view. Either side of the hotel would be fine though i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review.

I am pleased that you have experienced friendly and efficient service provided by our staffs and it is certainly pleasing to know that they have made every effort to ensure you had a pleasant and comfortable stay.

I have shared your compliments of our food selection at Rest House Café with the Director of Food and Beverage who will ensure that the quality is maintained at all times.

I have noted on your feedback on the Jacuzzi and will definitely look into upgrading it in future.

Nevertheless, you will be delighted to hear that we are currently embarking on upgrading works and you will be able to see us in a different light on your next visit.

Once again, our sincere appreciations to you for taking the time to provide us with your kind review.

Adrian Chung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel is in an ideal location, within walking distance to the attarctions of Melaka city. The lobby is spacious, but had a strange smell.

The receptionist was helpful and pofessional, they told me my room was upgraded but the room opposite to Malaka Straight was not available. The room was okay, a little aged, but I can see a little bit seaview.

The breakfast was not as good as I had expected, not so much to choose from. But the food, expecially the porriage, pickles and preserved eggs are to the appetite of our Chinese.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased that your recent with us has been pleasant. We will certainly be reviewing our breakfast offering and ensure a better selection are being offered.

Once again, my sincere appreciations to you for taking the time to provide us with your kind review.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Personally I like the location due to the access of the malls and I had a good stay in 2012 July that was the Premier Room. However, this time the Deluxe room due to upgrading, we smell freshly paint through out the night which gives us headache that we have to air the room.

The toilet door knob is spoil, the bath tub is not able fill up water as the stopper and switch from shower head to bath tub is not able to press down.

Those who drives, please travel light as there is not lift from carpark to the lobby.

Service I must say is very good; we request for additional towel is very good and fast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am most grateful that we are your preferred choice of stay in Malacca.

It is certainly regretful to hear of your poor experiences encountered during your recent visit.

We are actually embarking on upgrading works and I sincerely apologize that your room was not properly aired. Our Housekeeper is now in the process of refreshing all rooms to eliminate any paint odour.

Yes, it is true that all our lifts do not serve the basement and this is purely for security reasons. We do not wish to put our guest’s safety at risk by allowing non registered guests / visitors accessing the guest floor directly from the car park.
Once again, thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcome you back to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel got a nice view (forgot the direction), a classic hotel. very good location, minutes walk to historical site, shopping mall, restaurant.

Direct door to door transport / coach from Singapore. Close to a big shopping mall and 5 minutes to the starting of Melaka Heritage Trail.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and we are very pleased that your stay has been pleasant.

I am glad that the service, room and hotel facility has met to your expectation. We certainly value your patronage and we look forward to your visit again soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

A 5 star hotel. I was really impressed that the front desk called me to check on me. She asked if the room was ok. The staff were helpful and happy to please me. Good location and has a wonderful view of sunset from the swimming pool.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Rest assured we will always make every effort to provide the best level of services to all our guests. Do visit our website where we do offer numerous other promotions for our regular guests.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Decided to stay at Equatorial Hotel last weekend for 2 nights. The last time i stayed in this hotel was around 8 years ago so expectation was not very high as expected the place to be old.

Check in was a breeze and went entered the room was delighted that this place had been maintained well. Brought the kids to the swimming pool and had a great time for the first day.

On the 2nd day, I received a call at around 2 plus and was informed to moved out of our room as this room was already booked. I had informed the check-in staff yesterday that i do not wish to move out as it was a hassle with the kids and all the stuff. I was assured that I would not need to move on day 2. Imagine the shock when i was told i needed to move out and i was not given much time to do it.

Not given much of a choice, I relutantly agreed to move out. I needed time as we needed to pack our stuff but I felt like that I was being chased out of the room as the House Keeping was waiting outside with their full equipment. Even at Check-out there was was complication but thank goodness for the supervisor on duty it was resolved quickly.

These events were truly a downside on this otherwise good stay at the hotel where the room had been well kept and maintained.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review.

There was a miscommunication on our part with your room arrangement where you had indicated that you would like to remain in the same room which was not relayed properly. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I assure you that I view your comments seriously and I will take necessary corrective action to improve further and I thank you for taking the time to post your review and I look forward to welcome you back to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here for two nights over the weekends. Stayed in the newly renovated Premium Rooms. You can see the old balcony has been converted to a fully covered glass window with a cushion area big enough for someone to sleep there! The scenery overlooks the "Straits of Malacca"

We took a drive and ample parking was available in the hotel. Check in was smooth and quick. It would take around 20 minutes to walk to Jonker street which is on the other side. Food is available around the hotel and there are shopping malls next to it too. "Ole Sayang" (a good place for nyonya food) is located within a few minutes walk.

As you walk towards the lifts and room, it would look rather dated. The Premier Room was clean and refurbished thus giving it more life and looking spanking new. Pillows were comfortable however the bed was a bit on the hard side. Shower and bathtub were available. Basic coffee making facilities were available. Safe, iron and ironing board available. Service can be rather slow (ie bringing extra towels and bathrobes). Even tried out the room service menu and it was surprisingly delicious! (local menu's). The whole experience would have been great until we saw people smoking in the non-smoking floor which we were staying.

Gym is big and spacious and equipment is of varying ages. Huge outdoor swimming pool for adults and children. The area is huge and one can easily do a BBQ party here!

Beside a few hiccups here and there, it is otherwise a nice hotel to stay in while in Melaka town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to know that you had enjoyed the scenery from our day bed window and yes we have received numerous positive comments on our daybed feature.

I have shared your comments on the delay in delivering the extra towels and bathrobes with my Executive Housekeeper who will review the processes to prevent reoccurrences in future.

I regret that you have encountered guests smoking on our non smoking floor. Nevertheless, we have implemented a new policy where a surcharge of RM150.00 will be imposed for cleaning, to the rooms where smoking is detected.

You will be pleased to know that we are currently embarking on upgrading works and at your next visit (hopefully soon) you will get to see additional new changes.

Adrian Chung

Been to Hotel Equatorial Melaka? Share your experiences!