“Unimpressive service” 2 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Equatorial Melaka to your Saves list
Hotel Equatorial Melaka
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bandar Hilir, Melaka 75000, Malaysia   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #11 of 156 Hotels in Melaka
“Unimpressive service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I originally intended to stay at Holiday Inn but Equatorial came recommended by LP, so I thought I would give a try. What a mistake. My chain of misfortune with this hotel started with an email to them before the trip: before I made a reservation with Equatorial, I sent them an email, asking whether they provide any paid transfer service between the central bus station and the hotel. My first email got sucked into a black hole. Then, I went ahead and made a reservation anyway, and asked for a second time about the transfer. This time, they answered and they told me no. Fine, but it's really unusual for a 5-star hotel not to offer paid transfer.

I arrived at the hotel. The grand lobby and the smiling staff behind the counter greeted me. The room was big and comfortable, although somewhat dated in terms of its decor. I noticed a breakfast menu hung on the door handle, and it said that it had to be filled out and hung on the door handle facing the corridor if I was to order breakfast. I did just that, and after a day wandering around town, nobody came to collect that filled-in breakfast menu. I called room service and asked them if I could order over the phone. They said OK, so I just read out my choices and told them when specifically I wanted the meal delivered. The next morning, the food came late and what came was horribly wrong. I called the room service again to tell them that the food came was wrong. I was polite all along - I mean, I understand that things happen, although such mistakes aren't really what one expects from a self-proclaimed 5-star establishment - but the other end of the phone kept saying that 'oh, sir, but what YOU ordered was this, what YOU ordered was that'. Seriously? So I just suddenly had this change of mind and so called you up, made up a lie so that you would give me another set of breakfast?? In the end, the manager offered a change and the breakfast was offered to me free of charge.

Going back to the night before, the occupants of the adjacent room was playing loud music at 1 am. The adjacent room happened to be an Equator Club room, so the occupants could be some VIPs, I don't know. Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that it was 1 am and people needed to sleep. I knocked on their door, signalling to them that the volume needed to be turned down. And they did - for a while. At 3.30 am, I was woken up again by the loud music. I called front desk and asked them to do something about it. The lady on the line said to me, 'Sorry sir, that's an Equator Club room. You have to call the Club counter to handle that.' I was like, 'Fine. Can you transfer me to that counter, please?' She said, 'Oh, but they have closed already.' WHAT?! So you ain't gonna do anything about it? She said, 'Well sir, you need a special key to access that room.' Then I really lost it - it's not my problem that the room can't be accessed without a special key! I was a customer as much as those [--] playing loud music after midnight! Boy, the girl on the phone was obviously petrified after I'd shouted on the phone. The manager then took over and said that he would shut my neighbours up. So the music was gone for a while. At 6 am, they switched back to heavy metal.

I have great respect for the manager who managed the situation, but he doesn't run the whole hotel, and the quality of the staff leaves a hell lot to be desired. And I stop short giving this hotel 1 out of 5 truly because of the professionalism of the manager, the location of the hotel and the general cleanliness. Yet, seriously, if you market yourself as a 5-star hotel, remind yourself that it's not just about the building and facilities. I doubt if I will stay at another Equatorial: it has made me hot to the point of boiling.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind review.
After reading your review thoroughly, firstly I would like to sincerely apologize for the shortfalls that you have experienced during your stay with us.

I am concerned that your initial e-mail enquiring of the transfer from Melaka Sentral did not seem to reach us. Nevertheless, I believed that the subsequent e-mails had been responded to by our Concierge Team. It is true that we do not provide transfer to and from Melaka Sentral however arrangements certainly can be made with the taxi drivers to pick guests from the station with the prevailing local taxi charges.

It is very disappointing to hear of the poor coordination of our F&B Team in failing to organize your breakfast request that it has gone wrong all the way from the time you’ve placed the breakfast order right up to the time of delivery. Our standard operating procedure of collecting breakfast card are after 11pm, nevertheless we could have been more vigilant and meticulous to collect any breakfast card that is placed on the door handle at anytime apart from our usual anticipated standard time. Nonetheless it certainly was unacceptable for our staff to have an attitude of second guessing our guests. My sincerest apologies for the appalling experience with room service.

I am equally disappointed to read your comments on our staff response to your call on the loud music played at the wee hours of the night. This certainly is an unacceptable behavior and not the usual standard that we have instilled to all our staff.

I fully understand your frustrations over the entire situation and the lack of attention on our side and I sincerely apologized. You can be assured I have taken your views and comments seriously with a sincere intention to take corrective actions and improve further.

I do hope that the isolated encountered will not deter you from returning and you have my assurance of an improved service level in future.

Once again, thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcome you back to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.

Adrian Chung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Located in a prime location in the heart of Bandar Melaka. A clean comfortable room & the massive pool is just mesmerizing. Don't forget to order the insanely delicious Sup Ekor from the room service menu to complete you're stay. Overall, Equatorial Hotel, Melaka is always an inviting experience for me. Thank You.

• Stayed September 2013
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and we are very pleased that your stay has been pleasant.

We certainly value your patronage, please do visit us again soon.

Once again, our sincere appreciations to you for taking the time to provide us with your kind review.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night after hatten, across the street. Got an equator club room. Nothing fancy though comfortable. After checking in the room, we left for lunch. Came back and a bowl of fruits-4 apples, Found its way into our room. That means the staff entered our room without our permission. How dangerous!! Luckily our valuables were already kept in the safe. What if we were in the shower or sleeping. Doesn't mean no 'do not disturb' sign, staff can and will enter! Horrible experience otherwise pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2013

Thank you for your kind review.

Yes, it is certainly alarming to read your comment of unwanted entry to your room. After a thorough investigation we found an unusual fault with the ‘Do Not Disturb (DND)’ mechanism, when key card is taken out from the energy saving key card slot the DND sign switches off. Of course if the key card is in the slot the DND sign will be lighted up and staffs are not allowed to enter. Your concerns on the safety of your valuables, rest assured the hotel is equipped with CCTV and every entry will most certainly be detected. Nevertheless, I sincerely apologize for the unforeseen mechanism fault of our DND sign which allowed our staff to enter and place the fruit basket. Our Chief Engineer has since rectified the issue.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your kind review and we look forward to welcome you back to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.

Tromso, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I must admit that the hotel located in a good point .
They have a restaurant in the hotel which was open until midnight and has a good delish pizza !
The room and the bath room were small and old .
And please don't forget to pray (if u believe in God) when you enter your room and gonna sleep .
Seriously .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your compliments on our Food and Beverage outlets. Rest assured, we strive to always provide the best product and services to all our guests.

I am a little curious with regards to your comments on your experience of entering the room. I would certainly appreciate if you could write to me at gm@mel.equatorial.com and share with me your experience.

We certainly cherish your patronage and I look forward to hear from you.

Andover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed here as it was the location for a conference we were attending. All meals were served away from the restaurants as part of the conference but this did not matter as food was always well presented, fresh and hot. The waiting staff were attentive and dishes replenished as required. The food was excellent varied and tasty. We ate one evening meal in The Rest House, and one breakfast, again could not fault it. The rooms were clean and well appointed. The location was central to the museum area and the river, as well as Jonker Street. Would stay again if we return.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, October 1, 2013

Thank you for your kind review.

It is certainly delightful to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. We will always make every effort to improve and render the best level of service at all times.

Once again, our sincere appreciation to you for taking the time to provide us with your kind review.

Johor Bahru
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I hv been frequenting Equatorial Melaka since 2010. It's is conveniently located to my meeting location and next to Dataran Pahlawan where we can shops n dine. Over the years, i think it is time for the hotel to refurbish. However, staff are very friendly n they have loyalty programme where they like to suprise frequent guest with their door gift upon check in.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am most grateful that we are your preferred choice of stay in Malacca.

Yes, you’ll be pleased to know we will be embarking on upgrading work from this week onwards.

Our loyalty programme is still in place and do be on the look out for the gift items on your next visits.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in a new competitor hotel across from Equatorial Hotel and then work brought me to Melaka again and I stayed in the Equatorial. Reception desk officers at the club floor were excellent. Friendly and always keen to share great food places and places were one can get a bargain! Excellent buffet breakfast. Rooms were well serviced and clean. Will definitely come back again and make this hotel my hotel of choice when I am in Melaka.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest,

I am glad that the room had met your expectations and I truly appreciate of your comments towards our friendly staff.

We certainly cherish your patronage and we look forward to welcome you back to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.