“Not quite there” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Melaka

You added Ramada Plaza Melaka to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Melaka
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Bendahara, Melaka 75100, Malaysia (Formerly Renaissance Melaka)   |
Ranked #12 of 152 Hotels in Melaka
“Not quite there”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed for four nights on business in January 2013. This hotel was very recently a Renaissance hotel and now it's changed to Ramada. I can sort of see why they sold it off; the hotel is going to be in need of a huge amount of reinvestment in the coming years, or maybe it'll be pulled down and replaced. Right now it's fine though with the staff almost running around to take care of the guests and preserve the name. I had a mixed experience with them - they try hard but they do appear a bit exasperated with their own circumstances at times if you read them closely.
The rooms are comfortable but old fashioned. Upon check-in I was given a room that smelt awful and many things appeared broken. They immediately "upgraded" me to a newly refurbished room which means everything was steam cleaned but it was still the same old furniture and fittings. The electronic room key failed me most days to I had to traipse down to reception to get it regenerated. The water in the shower (which is over a grimy bathtub) took twenty five minutes to get hot in the morning - so remember to run it as soon as you're out of bed. Unlike a five star hotel there are no bath robes in the rooms and there's evidence of under-maintenance everywhere (dirty carpets, odd furniture, a wall lamp fell off my room wall and the lifts seemed dodgy).
One big plus is the Italian restaurant - I went back twice and I wholly recommend the excellent pizzas there.
Also please note this hotel is NOT near Jonker Street or any of the main attractions in Malacca. They are a half hour walk away. You can easily get a cab though at about 15 Ringgit each way.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room. They're still old-fashioned but at least they don't stink.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Located on Jalan Bendahara and very near the world heritage spots, we found this as fit for a premium stay in Melaka though disappointed by the not-so-sleek standards put up by the staff.
Rooms are nice and well done with all sort of amenities. Bathrooms are spacious and grand. Rooms open out to the view of downtown Melaka all the way until the straits of Malacca.
The breakfast spread was good and tasty though the serving area was found to be relatively crammed for a peak weekend crowd that was staying in.
Though the general property standards were impressive, minor hiccups experienced due to a faulty access card and the long time taken by their staff in setting it right put a patch on my overall stay experience there. I wish the staff standards had been a bit more sleeker!

May not match a Marriott experience, but still recommended for a holiday stay in Melaka.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

The spacious and comfortable rooms . Beautiful and extremely comfortable king size beds to sleep on . Excellent service from the staff . Function room and buffet dinner is excellent too. Stay twice at this hotel. Excellent hotel to stay again

• Stayed May 2012
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Spent 2 nights here and while the lobby area is presentable and the restaurant is surprisingly good, the rooms are quite shabby and facilities in general requiring a good revamp. From 1 Jan 2013, the hotel is to be taken over by Ramada which is what the taxi drivers were already calling the hotel when we arrived in Melaka.

If the rooms are renovated, this could be a good place to stay as it's only 10 minutes walk to Jonker Walk and it's not a bad idea to be able to stay just a little bit away from the crowds.

Luckily we had a reasonable rate but otherwise I would have felt cheated due to the poor state of the rooms - certainly not up to par with other Renaissance hotels we have stayed in in the past few years.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute, and only came to Melaka on a bit of a whim but we're so glad we did! Although our hotel room was starting to look a little bit frayed around the edges, the furniture was still quality and the bed very very comfortable. The hotel's rooftop swimming pool stays open until 10pm, which was great for an after dinner cool off. We took an easy 10 minute walk – either through little India or along the river – to get to Jongker st and the historical part of town. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel; the price is very reasonable, service is excellent, facilities good and the rooms were well appointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is my second visit, the first being about 8 years ago. I was there for a wedding banquet and booked a room through the Renaissance Prestige Club. I was supposed to get a Deluxe room but was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to an Executive Deluxe room instead (a larger room with settee).

Overall condition of the room was good ~ comfortable bed, linen and pillows. Minibar was amply stocked and there were nice touches such as in-room slippers and complimentary shoe shine service. Bathrobes were delivered within 5 minutes of a phonecall. There was also an ironing board and in-room electronic safe. The LCD TV looks new and was in good working condition. Toiletries were complete and so were the towels.

Unfortunately, there was a mineral bottle cap left lying on the floor which the housekeeping did not notice after the previous guest checked-out. Another disappointing thing to notice was that whilst the bathroom was big, there wasn't a separate shower facility. The shower hose was also replaced with a plastic type which tends to cheapen the look of the bath tub. I would have thought that they would replace it with a chrome hose or something similar.

Overall, they stay was pleasant. It's a shame that it is now no longer under the Renaissance management. That alone would make me think twice of staying there again.

Room Tip: You can grab breakfast and / or lunch from local restaurants by the corner of the hotel.
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Compliments to the chefs for the delicious Christmas banquet dinner where an incredible selection of temptations encouraged me to forget the waistline and indulge! In particular, the Turkey and Lobster dishes reminded me of Christmas dinner in Australia diminishing my homesickness at this special time of year. Breakfast choices daily were also inspiring and dangerous because even when my stomach was trying to tell me I had enough, there were so many choices that I wanted to try. Congratulations to the restaurant staff, for I could not fault their attention and service.
The hotel had some ups and downs, firstly the staff were fantastic, in every department, baggage, room service, business centre etc all so friendly and helpful. The actual size of the room was terrific, we could spread out and the king size bed was so comfortable. Maintenance seemed somewhat neglected, e.g.our cold water vanity tap leaked. When we first arrived the refrigerator was hidden behind a locked cupboard however, after a call to reception, staff promptly arrived to unlock. The safe did not respond to any of the instructions and we were promised this would be attended to however, this was not the case, but not being a priority, we did not worry about this.
The room smelt a bit musty, probably time to refresh and replace the carpet. A spectacular view over the city and ocean was revealed when we drew back the curtains. We checked out the gym and the swimming pool area, this was a little shabby and could also do with some upmarket renovations. The Christmas decorations in the lobby were beautifully done, management seemed like they had totally embraced the Christmas spirit by providing a Choir on Christmas eve and dancing Santas! The disappointment for me was the wifi because initially we were told we had to pay a high price for hourly rate. I found this hard to believe as we travel regularly and usually wifi is free. After exclaiming my disappointment, I was given complimentary wifi that had brilliant strength allowing us fast internet access. The hotel was fully booked for the Christmas period but this did not seem to be a problem. Another bonus for me was the efficient elevators, this may seem a minor point, but we often spend a lot of time waiting for the lift. Here at the Renaissance, the elevators were amazing, we never had to wait. In reflection, we really did enjoy our stay, but I have to agree with other reviewers, it is time the hotel had a major upgrade if they intend to continue to claiming high star ranking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Plaza Melaka? Share your experiences!