“Help I'm tired, please renovate me” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Melaka

Bookmark
You added Ramada Plaza Melaka to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Melaka
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Bendahara, Melaka 75100, Malaysia (Formerly Renaissance Melaka)   |
Ranked #13 of 148 Hotels in Melaka
New York
“Help I'm tired, please renovate me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

As some of the previous reviewers have stated, you can tell this hotel was nice 15-20 years ago. Today the rooms have dated furniture, peeling wallpaper, carpet stains (lots of them), toilets that barely flush. Nevertheless, the sheets are clean, beds are comfy and you can get a decent nights rest.

We stayed on the Club level which included breakfast. We liked the breakfast - a combination of Western and more local foods. Perhaps the best feature of the hotel is the swimming pool. Located on the 9th floor, it is clean and has nice seating areas. There is also a kiddie pool for young waders. The gym is on the same level and while I didn't get to workout I did peek inside and it looked above average for a hotel gym.

The location is close to the Melacca river which has a nice boardwalk.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Thai first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the renaissance to celebrate my wife's birthday. I choose a 5 star, thinking I can expect reliable top notch service from Mariott hotel (the most expensive on hotels.com)

As I had travelled from Singapore, I didn't know where to purchase flowers and sought the concierge's help. I arranged for dinner with cake and flowers.
At dinner time, I waited for the cake and flowers. To my horror, the staff said nothing was prepared.
So I celebrated the event quietly and v disappointed. Good thing wife was understanding. She understood not to expect much from Malaysian service staff.

The service level has tremendous room for improvement.

• Stayed August 2012
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotels for 4 nights. The furnishings in the room is old but acceptable. Room is big, had a deluxe. Bed is comfortable with lots of pillows. Nice! Not enough lighting in the room and one lighting is not working but never got fixed up. Lack of choices in the breakfast buffet and it seemed everyday the menu is the same. Because we are attending a function in another hotel and lunch hour is very short so we are thinking to have some pastries as our lunch. On our 3rd morning, we asked one waiter if we could have a doggie bag to take some food as I had actually paid for 2 breakfast under my room for the 4 nights in this hotel but I was solo in the room. So, he is ok and gave us the bags and informed that we could only take dry items. We actually only took a few pastries and then was stopped by this waitress - I wish I had her name! She said we are not allowed to take food out of the restaurant and I said but we asked your colleague and I paid for this breakfast, then she said, our chef does not allowed food out of the hotel. I looked at her chef but he never looked my way. That's fine. So my friend asked her, then what about this, we already took? She just said to us, this time ok, no more next time. I do not understand what kind of attitude is this? Imagine she stopped us in front of a busy buffet line with so many other guests looking at us. It's humiliating!!! I really do not expect to get such a service from this international property. It's a shame because frankly how much is few croissant costs? The waitress should at least check with her colleague where did we get the doggie bags in the first place and what's the situation like. If she really needs to explain to us it's hotel policy or whatsoever reason, at least do that after we finish and ready to go and not coming towards us like we are theives stealing from the buffet line. Do we called this hospitality?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The grand entrance, lobby and lounge area are nice but the rooms are tired. The staff is friendly but seems that you can't do anything without multiple people asking what room you are in.
We dined at the buffet on a Saturday night at prime time and found that a large number of the items were empty- staff was very slow to replenish even though the restaurant was NOT busy. Chef tried to serve me cold (sitting in a bowl) Kabob meat instead of cutting fresh off the roaster...and then scraped the bottom of the Tzatziki bowl to put together enough for he sandwich... they just don't care. Same at breakfast bufet-the fruit bowls were mostly empty and never did get refilled while we were there. No salad available.
Executive lounge access does not mean that you can actually use the lounge unless you want to pay a fee. I found this to be quite odd that even though we had executive level room were could only use the lounge facility at additional charge. This is a nice hotel but definately is not Rennaisance grade.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with clean windows- that should prove challenging enough for them.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed at the Renaissance Melaka for one night over the weekend. Carpark charge is 3RM per stay for in-house guest, which is pretty reasonable. But the carpark is old and dark. Lift to the main hotel lobby is very old and could breakdown anytime.

Hotel lobby is big but tired looking (probably not refurbished since
40 years ago). Check-in process is slow, it took almost 10 to 15 mins to check in. But since we are there for leisure, it is not a big issue.

We checked into room 1705 at around 4pm. Hotel room is big and comes with a nice view. Room look very old with wall paper falling off and old furnitures. i decided to take a nap, the room is super noisy with the flushing of toilet bowls from the room next door, drilling sound and hacking sound from outside the room, heavy footstep sound from the room above, doors slamming at the corridor and water running in the pipes noise. i also smelled a weird 'smoke' smell despite it is a non-smoking floor. this is extremely spooky as i spoke to my colleague after this trip that someone actually commited suicide by electricuting himself/herself and there are people who has the same experience as i. Being disturbed by the noise, we called the front desk to ask for a room change. We were given room 1613 afterwards and stayed there for a night. This room has the flushing noise too, but i thought the noise level is much better compared to the first assigned room. and this room has a choked bathtub.

Breakfast is good with varieties and their freshly made pastry is great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Malacca, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My company had a function in this hotel. Hence decided to check in for a night.
Room was spacious n nice. The bathroom had clean towels and overall no complains about it. Though during the day there was some drilling sound could be heard not to sure where was the noice from. The thing about it that really annoyed me was when we had our function here, the ballroom was so dusty. 1 of the room provided near the ballroom, the carpet was damp and wet. The ladies toilet was not maintain. Worst of all the banquet event manager was so rude. People in service line should be trained but here the manager was not polite at all. The banquet staff had little knowledge of English , hence they could not really understand us. The staff that was serving the main guest table was unable to converse in English. If you are having a function just take note of that. Proud to say that we were having our function in a 4 star hotel but the banquet staff or the ballroom does not give a 4 star experience. I would come back for stay but not to have any function!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed at this hotel a number of times, it can be difficult to get booking at weekends as many couples escape to it at weekends and companies appear to have reward breaks there a lot. Anyhow hotel is located a little way from the main attractions if your on foot but if you have car its fine. Try Club Floor as you will have a few benefits such as early evening drinks and snacks etc and you will avoid the crowds that are generally abound at weekends in the main lobby. Rooms are well appointed and restaurants serve reasonable food.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Plaza Melaka? Share your experiences!