“Excellent staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Melaka

You added Ramada Plaza Melaka to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Melaka
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Bendahara, Melaka 75100, Malaysia (Formerly Renaissance Melaka)   |
Ranked #12 of 152 Hotels in Melaka
HOlland
“Excellent staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Very tired after the flight and drive to Melaka we arrived before the official check-in time. However, this was no problem at all and we had access to a wonderful room immediately. The hotel staff was even willing to serve us a couple of beers while the bar wasn't open yet.

The room itself had a magnificent view on the city, it was spacious, clean and had a very comfortable kingsize bed. Breakfast the next morning was amazing: so many different dishes to choose from and all very tasty.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody. I cannot think of anything that was not good at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

I hold a marriott gold so I naturally picked Renaissance Melaka during my recent stay in Aug. During checkin, the checkin staff was unsmiling and rather unfriendly though I was happy to be upgraded to a suite. The hotel lost an entire rung of rating because of this - I mean, this is a 4star hotel, and customer service is important. A approachable front desk is a minimum. The suite was nothing to shout about. Renassiance Melaka is showing its age though still clean and comfortable.

Pool area was adequate, very quite with no one at the pool side at 10am in the morning as compared with the newer Holiday Inn with its infinity pool and crowd.

The hotel has free shuttle to Jonkers Street, Makohta and Jusco. It is also walkable to Jonkers Street and Makohta area. There are local restaurants, eating places around the hotel, a 7-11, a famous chicken rice ball place, a peranakan food place just within 5 min walk.

Overall a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Marriott Gold should get you a decent upgrade
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I had read some of the less-glowing reviews of this hotel before we stayed here. After my stay I wonder if those people were staying at a different hotel.

The staff were friendly and attentive at the front of house, the concierge staff were helpful and proactive, the breakfast staff were among the best trained and friendly team I've found in Asia. Nothing was a problem for any of them and it's clear that the training program reinforces some high standards. Our room was clean, the bed was comfortable, everything worked and the room servicing happened exactly as it should. The staff were interested in what we were doing - they suggested a tour, took the details of other things we had done to be able to recommend to their other guests. They cared about what they were doing.

If you stay here - get them to tell you about Mr Victor's tour of Melaka. He doesn't have a website but he's a passionate history buff and showed us all the highlights of Melaka from the Indonesians to the Chinese, Portugese, Dutch and English. I now have a much better view of how Malaysia came to be from this tour.

Or forget the tour and stay here anyway - the service is refreshing!

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

The Renaissance Hotel is a nice comfortable place to stay in..

I stayed there for 2 nights when I was on a buisness trip to Melaka...

The hotel is well kept, staff are freindly and helpful..

The food is really good with a very good variety of cuisine available..

The room that I stayed in was not too big but comfortable and they had a selection of pillows to chose from, having wireless internet was helpful, so that one can catch up while at work..

Over all I would say the experience was ok!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed here for two nights in August & enjoyed it. The hotel is very well situated for the Heritage area, everywhere is within walking distance.
The staff are very welcoming & speak good English. We stayed in a Club Room which was a nice treat, the evening cocktails & snacks were very good.
Our room was a good size & very clean, the bathroom was a little small but perfectly adequate. The hotel is a little 'tired', looks due for some renovation, hence the 4 not 5 rating, but overall it is a perfect place to stay in Melaka.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Worst hotel ever! Poor check in service, old and stinky rooms, leaky toilets; basically I havce nothing good to say about this hotel. I was at the hotel at 4pm and was told by the check in staffs that the room is not ready, and when I finally got into the room (which was not the double bed that I've requested earlier), guest what I discovered?!?! The toilet seat was actually still wet and DO NOT get me started on what's on it!!! Demanded to speak to the manager but was directed to the so called "club lounge" and told to have a drink; which I have to say the most pathetic looking club lounge I've ever seen!! The manager did not show up; was told that I was upgraded to to the club level room by the lounge staff. The room looks equally sad and run down, but at least there was no wet toilet seat! Thank god I was just there for a night, couldn't wait to leave the next morning!!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

The Renaissance is looking a little worn around the edges now, less so in the public spaces but more so in the rooms, which are a few years overdue a thorough renovation. They are perfectly clean and serviceable, however.

Our first impression was marred by AsiaRooms somehow not having passed our reservation on to the hotel, so there was no record of it. I don't think I saved much by using that site, so may be better to book at Marriott.com instead. Our "reserved" room type was fully booked, so after 15 mins wait (and this was before 12noon anyway), we got an upgrade to a club floor, with a request for twin beds and a cot also attended to without problems.

We ate lunch at "Long Feng", the Chinese restaurant - dim sum buffet at RM33/head. Good value, if not Singapore standard, though not Singapore prices either. Halal restaurant, so no pork in the food; the non-dim sum savoury selection was pretty limited too.

Service in general was with a smile and plenty of attention for our two young boys. Concierge very helpful and arranged a great city tour. We highly recommend Victor, our driver and guide - thanks to him we (two adults, one 4 year old, one baby in stroller) still got to see all the sights and some great art and craft shops - usually impossible for a group like us in a town like Melaka where you normally need to walk quite a lot. Victor knew all the spots we wanted to see and parked up or just waited for us nearby in the car while we got our snaps. RM60/adult, RM35/child was fantastic value for this service.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Ramada Plaza Melaka? Share your experiences!