“Pleasant Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 146 Hotels in Melaka
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Pleasant Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

About 30 colleagues of mine and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night and 2 days to attend our organisation's retreat. As some of our senior staff came down from Kuala Lumpur, the nation's capital, the purpose of our short stay was just right as our hotel package was an excellent one. The check-in was effortless as the hotel staff took great care to make us comfortable. We have the advantage of two seminar rooms provided by the hotel management for our deliberations. For us as a group it was indeed a pleasant stay.

I stayed in a junior suite which was clean and no complaints here. Good airconditioning and shower but no bathtub. However, while the food spread in the main restaurant, both at breakfast and dinner, was quite good I find the quality needs some upgrading. Two of the staff in the restaurant were however excellent and took great care that our group enjoyed the food. On the first day, I went to the gym where I found the exercise gadgets are relatively old. Perhaps the management can spare some budget to upgrade the whole place and ambiance.

The hotel is also part of the Mahkota Apartment which is at a distance from the main lobby. I observe that there are many guests there with their families and small children. However, they are seperated by having their own restaurants and a swimming pool. Quite useful if you like to bring your own family members but can be quite noisy there.

If one likes sightseeing, Melaka is a fantastic place to visit as this is an historical city which was colonised for more than 400 years in succession by the Portugese (beginning in 1511), the Dutch and lastly the British. Thus one can visit historical places such as A Famosa, St Paul's Hill, Stadhuys, and old churches built during those days. Some of them are within walking distance from the Mahkota Hotel. One is also accessible to two shopping malls nearby.

Room Tip: If one likes a bit of quiet, then the hotel section will be more comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Arendal, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The room we had was ok--but exept from that-----everything was awful !!
The pool full of dressed people---overdressed !!
We had to pay extra for bottle water---the drinking water stank !! (breakfast buffet)
We had to pay extra for wi fi--that did not work !!
Sat in a chair in the lobby--that vas infected by insekts !! Bites over my back !

It. to far from city center---waited more than 10 min. for a taxi !!

Room Tip: good roms---not not enough !
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I regretted that a booked a night last week in Mahkota Malacca.
I find it too old, dated and musty.
The corridor have hot air and the room air conditioning is never cold enough.
There is a musty smell in the shower and lightings are too dated.
Not worth the price charged for it.
There are newer hotels nearby.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

2D 1N in 1bedrm apartment purchased frm Groupon Singapore.Hub and I dont mind the eerieness and quietness of staying in old dilapidated Mahkota Apt but the minus points are, the room there was onli hot air blowing, aircon and fan only in situated in the living rm, the water in WC, shower and sink are flowing yellow instead of clear. Even we wanted to bathe or proceed with ablution we felt uneasy. At night feeling humid and warm, we carried the heavy mattress and slump it in the living rm. Yes we slept under the fan watching tv in the living rm with cool air swept in from the balcony.
Plus points? Breakfast was ok. Decent with asian and western tastes. Mahkota Parade is 5 mins crossover and Dahtaran Pahlawan another 5 mins. Food aplenty in these shopping centres.
Refurbishment needed for apartment. Rivals are nearby the apt. Holiday Inn and Hatten!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Location was good for this hotel. Walking distance to shopping mall, jonker street and many more.

The setback was, front desk staff took a very long time to check in a guest, more than 15 minutes, and the queue is getting longer.. From my observation, they are trying to get a clean room for the guest although check in time is 3pm. At that point, it was only at 1150am.

He should have inform the guest to come back at 3pm instead of keep looking at the PC. We have requested to have a 2 bedroom with 2 twin beds and it has been confirmed upon registration.

When we came back at 7pm to get our room key, we were being told that the room is not available, and we were being assigned to 1 king and 1 twin bed. Kinda upset but as we are quite tired, we do not want to pursue further as my friends (two ladies) do not mind to sleep on the king bed, and myself and another friend on twin bed.

Room was ok, but need it needs a major refurbishment, and cleaniness needs to improve further.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is the worst place I have stayed in!!

But I will say that I was in the apartment and not the hotel rooms so I can't comment about those.

Booking was difficult and the staff were not helpful.

Check-in was fine.

Free wifi is only available in the lobby, wifi in the complex has to be paid for, which is ridiculous considering in every other hotel I've stayed in offers free wifi.
Also if you purchase, the wifi is only for one device at a time, otherwise you have to pay for multiple connections!!
When I questioned this, the staff laughed at me.

After purchasing connection for 24hrs, I could not connect and reception were VERY unhelpful!!
So I got a refund.

I was staying at the back of the hotel in block 1 and the phone was not working, so everytime I had a problem I had to make my way back down to reception who were adamant the phones were fine.

Now.. The room...
I stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment with my family, including my disabled grandmother.
The hotel put us at the very back of the complex on the 13th floor.
Most of the blocks at the back are very dated!
The apartment was dusty and clearly hadn't been stayed in or cleaned in a long time.
The toilet water was brown with the bowls stained yellow due to stale water bring sat in there.
There were only baths with showers over them, which was not workable for my disabled grandmother, but the staff would not change our room without extra charges.

The kitchen tap when opened produced brown water which took a while to clear, it also sounded like there was a road side drill going off everytime we opened the tap!!!

The furniture and decor etc was very dated and tatty. The tv had 1 English Channel which was not clear. The bathroom and bedrooms were dirty with marks on walls and ceilings.

We had a "sea view", although I wouldn't really call it that.

The pool looked nice, although I didn't use it as we left after 1 night.
The hotel was very quiet and looked empty which was strange considering it was the week if CNY.

The location of this hotel isn't the greatest if you want to be central to everything.. This is close to the mall.
Chinatown might be a better location, or the riverside.

My advice, you can get loads better for your money!!!

Stayed January 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I am a bag packer from Thailand. First look of the hotel is old. But after i stayed there for 3 days 2 nights, I did had a quality sleep with the comfortable room. Just enjoyed the trip with the strategic location even I am alone. Will come back again to this hotel if they still maintain the service quality + food quality and room quality.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to Mahkota Hotel Melaka? Share your experiences!