“Plus and minus points....” 2 of 5 stars

You added Mahkota Hotel Melaka to your Saves list
Mahkota Hotel Melaka
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.16 Jalan Syed Abdul Aziz, Melaka 75000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #61 of 148 Hotels in Melaka
“Plus and minus points....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

2D 1N in 1bedrm apartment purchased frm Groupon Singapore.Hub and I dont mind the eerieness and quietness of staying in old dilapidated Mahkota Apt but the minus points are, the room there was onli hot air blowing, aircon and fan only in situated in the living rm, the water in WC, shower and sink are flowing yellow instead of clear. Even we wanted to bathe or proceed with ablution we felt uneasy. At night feeling humid and warm, we carried the heavy mattress and slump it in the living rm. Yes we slept under the fan watching tv in the living rm with cool air swept in from the balcony.
Plus points? Breakfast was ok. Decent with asian and western tastes. Mahkota Parade is 5 mins crossover and Dahtaran Pahlawan another 5 mins. Food aplenty in these shopping centres.
Refurbishment needed for apartment. Rivals are nearby the apt. Holiday Inn and Hatten!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Location was good for this hotel. Walking distance to shopping mall, jonker street and many more.

The setback was, front desk staff took a very long time to check in a guest, more than 15 minutes, and the queue is getting longer.. From my observation, they are trying to get a clean room for the guest although check in time is 3pm. At that point, it was only at 1150am.

He should have inform the guest to come back at 3pm instead of keep looking at the PC. We have requested to have a 2 bedroom with 2 twin beds and it has been confirmed upon registration.

When we came back at 7pm to get our room key, we were being told that the room is not available, and we were being assigned to 1 king and 1 twin bed. Kinda upset but as we are quite tired, we do not want to pursue further as my friends (two ladies) do not mind to sleep on the king bed, and myself and another friend on twin bed.

Room was ok, but need it needs a major refurbishment, and cleaniness needs to improve further.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is the worst place I have stayed in!!

But I will say that I was in the apartment and not the hotel rooms so I can't comment about those.

Booking was difficult and the staff were not helpful.

Check-in was fine.

Free wifi is only available in the lobby, wifi in the complex has to be paid for, which is ridiculous considering in every other hotel I've stayed in offers free wifi.
Also if you purchase, the wifi is only for one device at a time, otherwise you have to pay for multiple connections!!
When I questioned this, the staff laughed at me.

After purchasing connection for 24hrs, I could not connect and reception were VERY unhelpful!!
So I got a refund.

I was staying at the back of the hotel in block 1 and the phone was not working, so everytime I had a problem I had to make my way back down to reception who were adamant the phones were fine.

Now.. The room...
I stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment with my family, including my disabled grandmother.
The hotel put us at the very back of the complex on the 13th floor.
Most of the blocks at the back are very dated!
The apartment was dusty and clearly hadn't been stayed in or cleaned in a long time.
The toilet water was brown with the bowls stained yellow due to stale water bring sat in there.
There were only baths with showers over them, which was not workable for my disabled grandmother, but the staff would not change our room without extra charges.

The kitchen tap when opened produced brown water which took a while to clear, it also sounded like there was a road side drill going off everytime we opened the tap!!!

The furniture and decor etc was very dated and tatty. The tv had 1 English Channel which was not clear. The bathroom and bedrooms were dirty with marks on walls and ceilings.

We had a "sea view", although I wouldn't really call it that.

The pool looked nice, although I didn't use it as we left after 1 night.
The hotel was very quiet and looked empty which was strange considering it was the week if CNY.

The location of this hotel isn't the greatest if you want to be central to everything.. This is close to the mall.
Chinatown might be a better location, or the riverside.

My advice, you can get loads better for your money!!!

Stayed January 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I am a bag packer from Thailand. First look of the hotel is old. But after i stayed there for 3 days 2 nights, I did had a quality sleep with the comfortable room. Just enjoyed the trip with the strategic location even I am alone. Will come back again to this hotel if they still maintain the service quality + food quality and room quality.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Apartment is privately owned, it is not owned by a hotel group. Please change the name, it's so misleading!!!

Booked 2 bedroom apartment and was not maintained. Toilet was dirty with yellow stains and TV was spoilt. No cable was fine but local free-to-air channels also were not able to view! No signal at all! Kitchen sink was also dirty. Obviously shows that it was not maintained and not cleaned for so long!

Accidentally booked the wrong date via Asiarooms.com. The apt onwer contacted me personally and wanted me to transfer $$$ to her Malaysian bank account while I was in SG, if not my booking will be forfeited! Had to go the trouble of getting someone with a Malaysian bank account! This is not even a hotel group but a private apt owner. She could have just blocked the dates for me with my deposit done over at the website!

Thank goodness it was just for 1 night but RM300 is still a rip-off for a lousy apt! Been to better serviced apt in Malaysia!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We arrived at the hotel at 11am, and tried to have an early check-in. The staff at the counter did not bother to check whether the room was available but told us that it was simply too early for check in. Earliest check in would be at 12noon. He was very rude at telling us it was simply company policy not to allow check in before 12noon even though the room was vacant. Stayed in the 2 room apartment. The key reader didn't work well, had to try slotting the card in in all sorts of rhythm and pace to see which would work, took us about 10-15min each time trying to get into the room. As soon as the door open, a gush of stale air greeted us. Was very unpleasant. Rooms were very old, not kept well, bath area was grimy and TV had bad reception. There is no wifi in the room, and lobby wifi was bad as well. Getting a cab was horrendous, we waited up to 15min each time for a cab - shouldn't hotels have cabs on stand-by or tie-ins with drivers in this case? In the end we hopped onto a cab that dropped someone off rather than continue waiting for the called cab. Only plus side that for a family of 4 you can stay together in a room at a relatively affordable price. Other than that, will not recommend this hotel. There are better more convenient places for the same price range.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We booked the 2 bedroom apartment. It was a disappointment. The bedrooms were small. The furniture was old & outdated especially the TV. The master bathroom had 2 doors (can be accessed from the bedroom & the living room), which I find weird. Even though there's a tub, the kids would rather shower than take a bath.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mahkota Hotel Melaka? Share your experiences!