“Try out” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hatten Hotel Melaka

You added Hatten Hotel Melaka to your Saves list
Hatten Hotel Melaka
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hatten Square, Jalan Merdeka, Bandar Hilir, Melaka 75000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #11 of 152 Hotels in Melaka
“Try out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stumble upon and tried our luck for a 2 night stay despite notice the large tourist swamping the impressive hotel lobby set up.checking in is efficient despite the endless flows of guest checking in & out.
Price reasonable for a suite room located on the 17 floor with wide view of the city.
Rooms are well cleaned and maintain.Nice bathroom with fitted bathtub and shower. Reasonable large room ideal fr family of four getaway.
Shopping mall opposite side of the hotel and many shop eatery available around this areas on foot
Breakfast is on the 11th floor and be early..wide spread
Pools located on the 12th floor
Best book in advance as hotel is reported to be full constantly.
Be back soon for sure

Room Tip: Choose the high floor suites room that view are facing the city view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here for a night after 2 nights in KL and decided to try Hatten due to it's location near malls such as Dataran Pahlawan and Mahkota Parade and also cause it's a new hotel. Check-in was fast and was amazed with the rooms we booked. We were so happy it was almost like a 5 star suite, spacious, high headboards, contemporary decor, two big screen lcd tv with a lazy chair. Complete amenities included in the room, you can even find an ironing facilities in all rooms which normally you need to request from the hotel. We booked 3 rooms for 3 families and got all on same floor but didn't get 3 rooms side by side as understandably the hotel was running full. My room,1240, had the most problems though. So here comes the bad.

The main light in the bathroom didn't worked at first which only left the dim lights on so the bathroom was too dark, it worked later on when we returned to the room after dinner. I was locked inside the bathroom in the day couldn't get the door to open, after tried to lock and unlock the door numerous times only then the door opened. My husband was also locked in in the evening and he was locked in longer and I tried to push the door from outside to no avail. Tried calling front desk but was appalled that no one answered and I stayed on the line very long. Wondered what they were doing as it was only around 10pm. Called the operator instead and she too tried transferring me to front desk but still no answer. What if this was a real emergency, I thought, It would've been a disaster. After a while, still no answer from front desk, my husband managed to get the open from inside and from then on, we didn't lock the door and kept the door slightly ajar while using the bathroom. While we were leaving our room after the bathroom incident we find that we were locked in the room as the the metal lock lever on the main door wouldn't open. What are the odds of that 2 doors in the same room tried to lock us in. Anyway the metal lever broke as we tried to open it by force after a struggle. A/C wasn't strong during the day as I still feel the heat coming from glass windows but no such problem in the other 2 rooms.

Breakfast was on the 11th floor, quite a big area but full within minutes. Disappointing breakfast, mostly poor standard and tasteless. What an embarassment to Melaka. Even the curry prawn laksa or the nasi lemak was very bland, almost like hospital standard. Made me think maybe they catered the food from Mahkota medical centre hospital which was next to the hotel. Staff at noodle station very blurry. Gave wrong food to customers and my husband saw he went inside the kitchen and went out to give a plastic bag to a customer when that customer ordered noodles. I asked for curry prawn laksa with no taugeh(beansprouts) he said ok but when it was ready I saw taugeh in my bowl. I confirmed again if this is mine without taugeh, he said yes. Brought the food to my table and saw taugeh everywhere in my noodles. Didn't bother to complain there and then as it was too early to get me in the mood to complain.

Wifi not available in the rooms had to go out to lift lobby seating areas to use it. Even so, I find it a hassle to log in to use the wifi everytime with my room number as the username and a 6 digit confirmation number as the password which you need to call and ask them what it is. Really troublesome and not practical for hotel guests.

Like many have pointed out before me. Their elevators are a pain. Always full, slow moving, noisy with beeping here and there while waiting for them, you turn 360 degrees at the 6 lifts around you but you don't see any coming or opening. What a failure. I wouldn't stay here again and next time maybe pay a little bit more and go for Holiday Inn perhaps.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Check in - Arrived late afternoon on a Friday so check in was considered smooth and fast as it was not peak period. Staff who attended to us was warm and eager (seem new as there was a more senior person next to her). She offered to send the internet cable to us and also took down our preference for English newspapers. The cable was never delivered and we were given Chinese papers each morning ;) Was ok as we could also read Chinese. Gave us wrong info about breakfast timing.
Check out - we left before check out time so it was quite fast except they did not verify my payment details and had to call me after my departure at which point I was already on my way back to Singapore.
Room - We stayed in the deluxe suite on the 19th floor, nice view of the Malacca straits- room was big and nice. Usual toiletries provided but very little space left for personal toiletries. Would be a nice touch if they can place a tissue box in the toilet as well. Loved the rainshower which had good water pressure.
Breakfast - at level 11. Was told by front desk, breakfast from 6.30am to 9.30am (thought it was strange that breakfast shoud end so early). Found out later that breakfast actually end at 10.30am. We took breakfast there on a Sat. morning. First thing on stepping out of lift was this queue that extends all the way to the lifts. The staff in the restaurant was very efficient and empty plates were cleared very quickly. Breakfast spread was very good as described by some of the other reviewers. Maybe they can improve service by getting a staff out to redirect the queue so that it does not block all the lifts.
Parking - As it was our first time in Hatten Hotel, we were quite confused about the lifts. We actually walked all the way down from 3rd flr to ground flr, then realized no exit and walk back upstairs. Although signs at lift indicate serve 3rd to 9th floor, you can take lift to ground floor for check-in. When going out of hotel, you have to go to reception to validate parking ticket before taking lift to carpark levels. This is quite a hassle - from room to lobby to carpark each time you need to drive out. Maybe management can come up with a better solution for guests who are driving.
Several reviewers commented about the lift bell which can be quite irritating if you have to wait long for lifts and you keep hearing the lift bell without any lifts arriving ;(

Room Tip: For nicer view, ask for seaview rooms facing Straits of Melaka.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Had a 3D2N stay at the hotel. love the location as it is linked to the two big malls, thus regardless of weather, we were able to shop and find food to eat. Kids had a great time at the mall as there is an indoor playground along with battery operated cars to ride on.

Check in was pretty smooth and the service staff were in general pleasant and polite. We had two rooms (17th floor), connecting rooms, but no view as I had forgotten to request, thus we were facing the rooms of other guests instead. Huge room with amenities and great bed with pillows that are not too soft. Big bathroom as well but no bath tub. Overall, i was very happy with the room. I normally do not sleep well in hotels but for the two nights I was there, i slept like a pig.

Breakfast at level 11, was crowded and I will say it is a madhouse, the queue to enter the restaurant was horrendously long. But luckily the staff seems experienced and was able to find seats for us (6 in all) for the two days we were there. Selection of food was adequate, with eggs station, local delicacies and the usual pastries and cereal mix. The chee cheong fun was excellent, smooth and silky.

Swimming pool provided an excellent view of the city and i like the kids pool as it is strategically located next to it such that you can swim and provide a look out for your children concurrently.

Walk to Jonker street took about 10-15 mins using the link bridge to datawan pahlawan mall. Bazaar on the weekends is extremely crowded but a must go if you are in malacca, just to soak up the atmosphere and the jostling. But of course, take note to hold your bag/valuables close to you.

Now that i have finished the good part of the review, it is time for the bad parts:

Lifts: waiting for the lifts to go up and down alone took 10-15 mins. there are a total of 8 lifts but somehow each lift seem to take forever, and most of the time, it would be full. we resorted to just boarding the lift, regardless of whether it is up or down, just so that we can go to where we want to. sort of like taking the MRT to one end just so that you can travel to the other end. and the incessant beeping of the lifts, which is meant to signify the arrival, had us all turning 360 degrees but strangely, the lifts just do not arrive. i had the thought to just take the stairs if not for me staying on the 17th floor. I had the feeling that the hotel over-catered for too many guests and the lifts are just not sufficient for everyone.

Checking out: I had requested for late check out till 1pm and went down to re-program the hotel card keys at 10 plus. imagine my anguish at 12.15pm, after squeezing into a lift, to realise that the hotel keys are not working as the check out time was at 12pm. Another horrid squeeze to go to the ground level, wait to reprogram keys, before being able to go back to room to bring down luggage. No separate check out counter, though there was a manager, Mr Alan Yeo, who was directing guests to another counter if you do not have any other payment to make upon checking out.

While I do enjoy the trip overall, i have to admit that the lifts situation is off-putting. Most probably will try another hotel in future.

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Definitely a 5 star hotel if you overlook the small minor hiccups/ details.
For less than Rm300 a nite for a Deluxe Room, we had a good size room with 2 LCD tvs, nice furniture choices, good bathroom amenities etc.
Breakfast buffet was excellent as there were many choices. Definitely a 5 stars for this.
However, the downside would be that the entrance was very inconvenient for drop off of baggage, and it is a shared parking with Hatten mall/square. So each time we exit, we had to validate our parking ticket which was a hassle.
The carpet finishing was done poorly so was the tiles between the room and the bathroom (sharp edges) and the door lock was broken. Though there were many lifts, they were unable to cater to so many hotel residents. Check in took very long, around 30-45minutes, long queue. Hotel should look into opening more check in lines.
Overall, we are very satisfied with our stay and will definitely come back again.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

One of the nicest hotel I've stayed in Melaka. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, modern and clean. They have year round promotions and for the price of a suite with breakfast, it is good value. This is one of the few hotels in Malaysia where it still have a fresh look after more than a year in operation. I have stayed previously in new hotel along Port Dickson and Kuantan only to return a year later to a run down hotel.

Being the hotel with the most number of rooms in Melaka, expect big crowds on weekends. Expect long queues during the peak breakfast hours. If you want to avoid the crowd, go before 7.30 am and just before 10 am. Melaka is a food haven and I would rather have my roti kaya toast and eggs, wan tan noodles, roti canai, etc in the many coffee shops despite the breakfast being inclusive in the room stay.

It is walking distance to our favourite Nonya reastaurant, Makko, having a Thai massage at Scents and Senses, catching a movie at GSC in Pahlawan, to the shopping centres, having a late night drink at Starbucks....no need to use the car and seaching for a parking lot along the road, esp. on weekends which can be quite challenging to find a lot. Parking is free. Wifi is available only in the hotel lobby and coffeehouse.

I have stayed in Bayview Hotel, Renaissance (now Ramada Plaza), Emperor Hotel (once is enough), Equatorial and Mahkota Hotel (seen better days) in Melaka and personally my choice is Hatten whenever my wife and I visit Melaka.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed at the Hatten for a weekend while on a three week trip through Asia. I was pleased by the large rooms after being in the usual tiny rooms in Asia. My basic room had a large sitting area with couch, refrigerator and drink station with a selection of tea and coffee. The bed was a comfortable king size bed, and the bedroom was separated from the sitting room by a wall of glass that could be blocked by a shade. The bathroom was large and modern with plenty of space to put toiletries near the sink. The shower was large (especially for Asia), fully enclosed, and had a ceiling rain shower as well as a handheld shower. The toilet had a handheld wand sprayer, as is common in Asia.

I used the laundry service, which was done well after an initial confusion as to whether they were sending someone to pick it up, or I should just leave it in my room.

Now for the bad. Although this hotel is new and beautiful, it will soon be worse for wear. Their was a LARGE red stain on the hallway wall on my floor, as if someone through a red drink against it. The line for breakfast on a Saturday morning, just to enter the breakfast room and get a table was long. They did serve juice to those waiting in line, but the long line to be seated was something I had never experienced. Once in the breakfast room it was chaotic to actually get to the food because of the crowd. The breakfast spread was pretty good, with western food along with Indian, and Chinese food. They had a pancake station, omelette station, cereals, pastries, etc..

The elevators were so crowded you couldn't get on them. After three cars opening full, I found a service stairway to get to breakfast. On checkout day it took me over 20 minutes to get on the elevator with my luggage. The checkout line was long, and wasn't helped by the fact that once I got to the counter and was paying my bill I was interrupted three times by people simply walking up and saying, "I just need to hand in my keys" and the clerk would stop, take their keys, and then they would request a receipt, so my transaction would be halted while he checked them out. ". The staff needs to be trained better.

The hotel did try to handle the chaos by staff placed on each floor to help with the elevator situation, but their was nothing they could really do, and they did have a monitored seating situation at breakfast which helped.

If the rooms are important to you, than the Hatten is nicer than the Equatorial, and it may be better mid week or in an off season.

Room Tip: Watch out for handicapped rooms, as the shower is not enclosed and over the toilet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hatten Hotel Melaka? Share your experiences!