I must admit i've got a knack for relatively newly opened boutique hotels (Tripadvisor - they are definitely not a B&B nor an inn! It's definitely a shame to put them in this category!) and to check out what they are like .....
I'm glad i chose this place and would strongly recommend that The Sterling would be one of your top choices in Melaka if you are into:
- Chic & contemporary rooms
- Free WIFI
- Personalized service to make you feel welcome (plus a welcome drink to boot! the fruit punch was really good!)
- Parking with 24 hr security (we checked on two occasions to see if the security guard was really present and awake and he was!)
- Complimentary 2 bottles of water in our room each day
- Relatively quaint & quieter (compared to staying right at Jonker Walk) but still convenient enough to get there on foot in minutes.
With the hot & humid weather in Melaka, it was absolutely heavenly to come back each day to have an indulgent rainshower with powerful shower jets. It was so massaging on the back and we literally took 3 baths a day because it was just so good! You'll take a few minutes trying to figure it out the whole rainshower system but once you do, ooh la la~~ - the power of a good shower! :)
Definitely a nice touch when we came back on the first night and it was raining. The staff was right at the entrance ensuring he had umbrellas for all of us to ensure we don't get wet. Room service was jiffy when we told them we needed a power point adaptor. It was also a nice touch to provide the morning paper at your door each morning too!
While typical hotels provided breakfast buffets in the morning and The Sterling's breakfast was based on ordering from an ala carte menu, our concerns completely faded away when you realized each set was luxurious & more than what we could finish and having the waiter providing the personalized service of serving your food and refilling both fruit juices and your hot coffee and tea always was even better! In addition, it was a nice touch to have Tony, the resident manager coming down to chat with us on both breakfast days & to find out our feedback of this newly opened hotel.
If i really had to state some points i hope to see improve--
1) Check-in was considered much slower than expected, considering when we found out we were the only 2 rooms booked on that very day. Considering that they immediately welcomed us to say our rooms were ready (although we arrived 2 hours before check-in time...) then we definitely did not expect that even with 2 staff at the front counter, it would take us almost half an hour at the front (with 10 mins alone figuring out how to key in the charge machine).Checkout was a breeze though with Tony helping us!
2) Sprucing up the front lobby.... (the front facade is really lovely architecture but walking towards the front reception...it was quite plain looking both on the wall and the counter itself. Just plain brown. Some nice chillout background music playing would be good too, especially to reduce the impatience of checking in since we were already so tired from our 3 hr road drive there)
3) I hope that with more people knowing about this place and staying here, i hope they can consider a private "The Sterling" trishaw so that for the less abled to walk... they can enjoy a quick free shuttle to the Christ Church Melaka / Jonker area. Although it is minutes to reach these attractions, unfortunately there are not enough pavements on the streets on Melaka to walk freely and easily without keeping your watchful eye from the continuous vehicle traffic. Great branding for 'The Sterling' too when other tourists staying at other hotels see this trishaw with its brand name too i'm sure!
4) Sprucing up the tea selection in the rooms. As a sole tea drinker (no coffee for me!)... it seemed odd to only have jasmine green tea as the only option.
5) Last but not least, do consider having a soap dish or something to put the bar soap that you have provided. After washing our hands and using the soap, when you can only put the bar soap on the glass counter (since the sink is rounded)... the wet soap & the water slowly starts dripping off the glass counter. P.S (also, the bathroom door was not able to lock properly)
All in all, it was a beautiful stay. Comfy beds, sufficient TV channels to watch, sufficient power points, strong WIFI connection, availability of connecting rooms for family.
Choose this place for a cosy intimate feel, nestled away from the hustle & bustle of the street noise yet near to the action when you want to walk over. Its touch of class doesn't just stop at its grand architecture, each of the staff tries their best to embody these values too. Thumbs up and i wish them every success in this new boutique hotel i was glad to call 'home' for 3 days 2 nights.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sterling, Malacca's latest luxury boutique hotel is a mere five minute walk from Jonker Street, world famous for antique hunters and popular amongst visitors to historical heritage Malacca.In addition, The Stadhuys, St.Paul's Hill, Church of St.Francis Xavier, Christ church and A'Famosa are all within 8-10 minutes on foot. Enjoy sheer luxury in our signature rooms that feature its own private sundeck and outdoor jacuzzi. Dine in heritage Malacca's unique rooftop diner and catch the stars above Malaccan skyline at The Balcony, a place to kick back and relax. The Sterling and its English heritage concept is all set to transport her guest back to yesteryears yet ensuring that everyday comforts are not compromised. Welcome to The Sterling Melaka by Gloria, A GOOD PLACE TO BE! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Despegar.com so you can book your The Sterling Boutique Hotel Melaka reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.