“Gorgeous rooms and outstanding service!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Amor el Rio
Ranked #3 of 152 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore
“Gorgeous rooms and outstanding service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

My daughter and I had a wonderful stay at this boutique hotel. We fell in love with the Portuguese-Melaka decor so carefully designed to blend these 2 elements of culture. The courtyard fountain was Portuguese, and the room furniture was a subtle blend of both. We were perfectly happy with the courtyard view rooms as there was a lovely little balcony with a table and comfy chairs that you could relax in and watch the fountains play below, so restful and romantic. The level of service is way beyond expectations. Though we arrived before 3pm we were promptly checked in by Mr Baldip Singh who was so knowledgeable about the hotel and was so warm, friendly and professional in explaining the facilities to us. We were greeted with cold towels, a lovely iced drink and a welcome with our guest name on a banana leaf! On departure, Mr Baldip thoughtfully helped us with the luggage and located our bus back home for us. Check- out was also amazingly swift and trouble-free.
The room was palatial with a cool tiled floor and a huge bathroom with aromatic toiletries, organic soaps and large, fluffy towels. Bath salts were thoughtfully supplied for use in the huge bath-tub. We really felt pampered especially as there was a generous supply of bottled water and a tea and coffee service. The breakfast was semi-buffet with a choice of local and western items. The scrambled eggs with salmon and asparagus was every bit as delicious as the bountiful nasi lemak with chicken rendang. Again, service was kind, smiling and attentive, especially Mr Jasroon Ong, one of the managers, who was so efficient and hardworking.
One of the few hotels to provide a library, we were delighted with the choice of reading material, from "The Economist" and "National Geographic" to PD James and lots of who- dunits! Apparently if you haven't finished reading a book, you can take it away with you as long as you replace it with one of your own! Wow! A coffee machine and TWG teabags are also at your disposal, while you use the free internet services. What more can you ask for?
You couldn't fault the location either as Jonker Street was only a few minutes away and there are two coffee shops with local food just outside the hotel. The only fault I could find was that the water in the infinity pool was rather murky, and well, wished that the cable tv had KBS as we are Korean drama fans!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

had a good stay in this boutique hotel. low rise, beautiful overall setting, not congested. so convenient, just next to the melaka attraction. you can see it from the window!! 2 minutes walk to near Jonkers Walk, save the hassle of parking and transport.
love the room, balcony and the centre water feature setting, nice roof top infinity pool and the view from the pool. average selection at breakfast but fresh fruit juice is a plus point. could do more with the choices but food quality is good. Room rate is expensive for malaysia but location, setting , atmosphere and ambience can deserve some self indulgence.

Room Tip: had a room facing the courtyard centre, nice view of the water feature.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Not often I witness out-of-the-world kind of service from hotel staff in Malaysia or from any other countries. This one more than exceeds my expectations. Here's why I say so:
(1) Moment I, my wife and my parents arrived at the check in counter, we were led to a nearby pavilion to wait while they process our check-in. We were served with tea and hot towels on a tray, and there's even a pandan leaf on the tray which they wrote on it "Welcome home Mr Justin Tan". Such thoughts and personalization!!
(2) Reception staff and porter have their smiles at all times, and the latter volunteered and carried our check-in sling bags immediately without hesitation to our rooms with us.
(3) Welcome snacks in the room with a welcome letter from their General Manager to me bearing my name.
(4) Upon returning to my room at night after shopping, to my surprise on the desk, there's 2 cupcakes (complimentary), their way to celebrate my birthday!! I was simply amazed and touched by such simple yet kind gestures.
(5) The two rooms we stayed are facing the river. Found them to be new, clean, tidy and spacious. Aircon works great, bed is comfortable. Bathroom comes with a big rain shower head. Also, bath salt is supplied for use in the big bathtub. Our rooms are the river view with balconies, great view!! Usual standard amenities are supplied, though I would prefer if they have included toothbrush/toothpaste and shaver as well.
(6) Breakfast is semi buffet, food is not fantastic (of course if you compare with the famous joints at Jonker Street e.g. Jonker 88, Nancy's Kitchen etc.) but good enough for our tastebuds.
(7) Hotel location is very good, a 5 min+ walk to Jonkers Street, 10 mins+ walk to Mahkota Shopping mall.
(8) Check out is fuss free and smooth. However, one minor hiccup occurred. When I first checked in, I was issued a ticket for parking my car in their underground carpark (foc parking for hotel guests). Upon check out, I asked the reception do they need to endorse or update the ticket so that I can leave the barrier carpark at the gantry. The reception staff said no need, just slot in the ticket at the gantry slot. When I slot in the ticket, display shows me my ticket is unpaid and to proceed to their carpark office beside the gantry. So, I have to reverse back and inform the officer there I am a hotel guest whom have just checked out. After few minutes of verifying, then the officer waved me on and opened the barrier. Slight hiccup, but not a matter of life and death I suppose.

Room Tip: If you're in your rooms most of the time, take their rooms with river view (slightly more expens...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

We stayed in the Casa Del Rio with my 2 year old. I have also previously stayed in the Majestic, so it was interesting to compare.
The location for the Casa was excellent, you couldn't have a better location, all shopping and historic centre was in walking distance.
The rooms were very large and overlooked the pool area, really beautiful to sit out at night and watch the beautiful fountain.
The rooftop pool was great, very spacious, with a small kiddies pool as well. The pool was much better than the pool at the Majestic, which is squeezed in and lacks a lot of sun and privacy.
The food was great, breakfast was beautiful and it was great sitting by the water.
The service was great, and really accommodating to my young son.

Definitely recommend, and I didn't think I would but we actually enjoyed the Casa a bit better than the Majestic!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

- walking distance to jonker street, save the time for getting a parking.
- lovely river bank view from room.
- awesome & creative room interiors.
- friendly & helpful staffs.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed there for 3 days and enjoyed every moments of it. When the manager, Aaron personally showed us to our room, we can feel that the hotel place great effort in making their guests their no 1 priority.Kudos also to Arul, whom made our breakfast a delight !
Thanks again !

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
West Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

This is a nice newly renovated hotel. When we stayed there in May 2011, it was still in the last phase of renovation completion. The room is spacious with great bath room and small balcony. Nicely decorated with traditional accent. Service is great and the staff tried so hard to make our stay comfortable. The location is also nice, walking distance to the night market, which is the center of attraction once evening comes. The swimming pool is not bad, although if you don't like tropical sun, it may be too much under the sun as it is located on the roof. Overall we have a nice stay in the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Casa del Rio Melaka? Share your experiences!