“Great Service and charming location” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88 Jalan Kota Laksamana, Melaka 75200, Malaysia   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore
“Great Service and charming location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

My family and I checked into Casa del Rio Melaka last week, as the location seems great - river view and yet within walking distance of Jonker Walk. As the hotel is barely 2 months old, we were keen to check it out.

We booked 2 Lagos deluxe rooms and a River Suite. If you have a bigger group, go for the suite. The 2 bedrooms and living room are super comfortable, and the river view from the balcony and the master bedrooom is just great. No complaints though on the Lagos rooms as we get a direct view of the lagos below and a "slanted" view of the river from the balcony.

Service from the front desk to the restaurant staff was unbeatable. They have definitely been well-trained to offer the best service possible, and in tune with a 6-star hotel service. After checking out, I found some discrepancy in my bill and called back to check. The reception manager did check and called me back to explain and went on to resolve the matter.

My only complaint is the housekeeping - I suspect they are still not fully staffed, as requests for coffee cups etc never materialised. I passed this feedback on checking out, and hope that this will improve on my next trip.

Jessie Lau
Singapore

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sentosa Island, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

The check in to the hotel is not very quick, but at least it was compensated by the welcome dessert and cold towel which were very nice.
The room is spacious and cozy. But the teakwood floor were waxed and very slippery, we recommend that you should wear your shoes or the hotel slippers to avoid slipping. My son actually slipped when he ran into the room.
The bathroom is very good & big, bathtub look very clean. The only comment that I like to make is that the shampoo, conditioner and bath bottles were too small and they are breakable. I wouldn't suggest using them in the long run.
The rooftop pool is very good, and my kids enjoyed their swim very much. The pool look similar to that of the Marina Bay Sands but in a smaller scale.
I will definitely consider going back again for my next trip, as the location of the hotel is within walking distance to Jonker Street. Do note the room rate is definitely not cheap.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Having stayed at a few other hotels in Melaka, thought we will give this hotel a try as it's new. Our rooms were not ready when we arrived and they asked us to wait for a short while. Whilst waiting, they served a simple ginger sorbet which I find too sweet but my son loved it. It was a nice gesture as it was a hot day. Hotel lobby was one big open space (non air-condition) and the so called reception area was just 2 tables. At first I was not sure that it was the reception area as there were no signs and nobody came forth to attend to me. Was wondering how things will be if there is a large crowd of guests waiting to check in or out.

We stayed in the Delux Lago room which overlooks the courtyard. The bathroom was nice but a bit troublesome as it had 3 openings. One door that opens to the wardrobe area, another to go into the bathroom and windows above bathtub that looks into the room. There are 2 steps down from a corridor to the area where the bed was placed and this might not be convenient for the elderly. A small balcony overlooks the courtyard fountain. All toiletries like shampoo, bath gel, moisturizer, conditioner, bath salt are contained in little clay jars which are quite cute. Toothbrushes and shavers are not provided so remember to bring your own. Breakfast was a semi-buffet and you can order your main course from the breakfast menu.

Location of hotel is just a stone's throw from Jonker Street so there is plenty of food to try. On Fridays to Sundays, you can visit the Jonker Street night markets which are very crowded and bustling. Heard that the night markets open till 12 midnight.

One thing that didn't leave me with a good impression was that when we return to our room after a day out, I saw food wrapper thrown in the toilet dustbin.

The hotel has a very nice infinity pool on the 3rd floor that overlooks the surrounding area. Overall, a nice hotel. Will not hesitate to return if I can get better rates.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
CasadelRioMelaka_11, Owner at Casa del Rio Melaka, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my apologies for the uncertain welcome. We do normally have one of our hosts at the entrance to escort you to a section of our lounge seating for the check in. The two reception desks are really to facilitate the check out process and act as concierge desks.

We agree that the sorbet is a bit on the sweet side and have adjusted the sugar level in the recipe.

For guests with mobility difficulties we do have a room which is not on a split level and is interconnected to another room for assistance if required.

We do keep a quantity of new tooth brushes, paste and razors at reception for anyone who may have forgotten to bring theirs. This enables us to provide an better quality product for those that do need it.

That you found your waste bin with a wrapper is not acceptable and I offer my profound apology for this.

We are delighted that you had otherwise appeared to enjoy your stay and would consider a return visit. We look forward to this.

If you, or any other reader of this review, have any further queries about this comment then I would be happy to respond to any email sent to me at: info@casadelrio-melaka.com

Andrew Drummond
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

stayed in casa del rio, a 2 weeks old boutique hotel located along the bank of malacca river.
check in: brisk in less than 10 minutes. they served us chilled towels to freshen up and this cooling ice ginger. very refreshing and personalised.

room: awesome room with huge bath tub, rain shower and stunning view from my balcony. the bed is huge and very comfortable.

staff : are friendly, helpful and friendly.

pool: infinity pool with great view.

downside: the drainage in the shower is kinda slow, so water tends to collect in the shower area.
breakfast was not of a much choice but maybe since its only a 2 weeks old hotel. but i believe casa del rio will do much better!

tips: if ur a asam pedas lover, head down to kota laksamana 1 where the famous asam pedas claypot is. must try! another one which is just about 5 minutes walk from casa is Hajah Mona asam pedas. also must try! and dont forget to take trip down the malacca river in the cruise. rm 10 for adult. rm 6 for kids below 12.

overall, i will come back to casa del rio. such a great experience!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

We decided on this hotel as we had just spent 2 nights at the Casa Del Mar in Langkawi. The hotel had only been open a day when we checked in, you could tell that the staff were still getting the hang of it, but what they lacked in skill & knowledge, they more than made up with in friendliness & they are so polite and welcoming. Our room was beautiful, the bath tub was great after doing the Jonker walk. They have the largest fluffiest towels I have ever seen in any hotel. Give this hotel a couple of months and I would say it will be huge success. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa del Rio Melaka? Share your experiences!