“Wounderful Design Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 142 hotels in Melaka
Stuttgart
“Wounderful Design Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

The Courtard @ Heeren was one of the nicest hotels we stayed during our 10 days trip in Malaysia. It is a very nice and small design hotel in the center of china-town of Melaka. The hotel has a wonderful interior distributed over two levels including a lot of water basins and fountains which provides also a cool atmosphere. The hotel is also perfectly located in the center of Melaka and hence an optimal starting point for sightseeing. In the evening and at night the streets around the hotel are busy with a Chinese night market. But if you are arriving by car, make sure you have a street map of the area; even you have a GPS system in your car, because of the many small streets. Parking space is available at the rear side of the hotel. The hotel is serving a small bad good breakfast buffet including warm Chinese dishes and various sorts of eggs.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

648 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

told myself when i return home, i will sit down and write a review about this boutique hotel... i am very familiar with Melaka as my mum was a Peranakan from Bukit Rambai, Melaka. I will stay with my relatives whenever I visit it and never at a hotel.

Heard much about Courtyard from my cousins in Melaka thus decided to try it.

Tried to book a Deluxe Room for the long weekend of 7th to 10th of August but unfortunately it was full. Amar, one of the staff assured me that he will give me a call if there's any last minute cancellation. I didnt hope much coz I have far too many experiences of empty promises.

Amazingly on July 20th, Amar wrote me an email informing me of room availability. We took it of course. I was impressed by their commitment to their promises.

Reached Courtyard on the 7th and was confused about the location of their carpark. Saw a staff at the door (name's Henry) and he was very kind and offered to lead us to the carpark. Parking at Courtyard lets you sleep very well at night as they have a security manning the carpark 24/7. The security guard (an old but alert uncle) was very 'on the ball' and helpful. Another plus.

Check-in was extremely fast. Myself and my wife were greeted with genuine smiles from the staff (you wont find corporate smiles from the folks here !) the boss and his family (daughters and sons). Makes you feel as if you are returning to visit your relatives instead !

Was led to our room by Henry and it was amazing. We have relatives who are still staying in their century old baba houses like this and we were amazed how an old baba house can be transformed into a beautiful and comfortable hotel without sacrificing the traditions and styles.

The room is perfect. Very clean except for a little dust on the floor. Rain shower is perfect though somewhat the water pressure dropped in the daytime. Toiletries used are top notch and replenished everyday.

The pillows are perfect and mattress, comfortable. Aircon is working perfectly as well. Nice LCD TV though it would be good if more channels are available.

One problem though. Our unit is a ground floor one. When people are walking heavily on the second floor, we can hear 'thud thud thud' (late night and early morning e.g. 6am). Cant blame the folks coz the flooring are wooden. So such noise are unavoidable. We did feedback to the staffs and amazingly though we said it's bearable, they apologised profusely. When i said "It's ok", Henry replied "No, it's not ok and this is serious. We must make sure all our guests rest well."

Try this in another hotel and you prolly will get the whites of eyes rolling at you!

If the team at Courtyard is reading this, it may be good to improve on the flooring insulation ? Other than that, the room is peeeerfect !

Try this in another hotel and you prolly will get the whites of eyes rolling at you.

Location wise, I don't have to say much. It's right smack in the middle of the action. What more can we ask for ?

Now, the breakfast. For a small boutique hotel, the range offered is good enough. The chefs (Henry doubles up as cook as well haha) are friendly and accomodating. They will take the initiative to ask if we want soft boiled eggs etc.

All in all, me and my spouse were impressed with the warmth and sincerity from the Courtyard team. I will definitely return to stay with it whenever I visit Melaka again.

To the folks at Courtyard (including the super on the ball security guard uncle), keep up the good work. You are the pride of Melaka !

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Had we blinked when we drove past the front of the hotel, we would have missed it.

Sardined within a row of similarly narrow historical buildings in Melaka, the Courtyard@Heeren appears impossibly small. After parking at the rear of the hotel, we walked through its entire length en route to the Front Desk and realised that it was many times longer than its facade implied. The owner's daughter, Elsie, was cheerily manning the Front Desk and helpfully gave us maps and directions to recommended eateries after we left our bags in her care.

We queued for 15 minutes at the entrance of nearby Nancy's Kitchen before being allowed in. Sharing a table with two young ladies from Singapore who we'd never met before, we enjoyed the conversation as much as the Peranakan food.

After lunch, Elsie checked us in promptly at 1400hrs and gave us an upstairs Deluxe Room per our reservation. The two-storey Courtyard@Heeren is comfortably decorated in neo-Peranakan style. Our room was larger than expected with a tasteful wooden screen separating the ensuite bathroom. An electric kettle, large flat panel TV, telephone, luggage stand, writing desk with chair, and two small night tables on either side of the good-sized double bed comprised the furnishings. Electricity outlets were easily assessible and adequate for our needs. Free WiFi and bottled water were also available. There was no hairdryer in the room but one was loaned to us quickly when I enquired at the Front Desk, which was staffed by another cheerful young lady in Elsie's absence.

We were surprised when the mid-afternoon water pressure in the shower cubicle was so weak that we could not swtich from the handheld shower to the rainshower; after dinner, however, this was not a problem. Perhaps most people bathe early in Melaka...

The hotel's interior has been completely redesigned to optimise the number of rooms but we never found it to be crowded or noisy. The upstairs rooms seem well isolated from each other and the artful use of glass ceilings makes them feel bright and airy, providing a welcome refuge after hours of sweatily strolling the neighbourhood of traffic-filled historic streets in Melaka. By late afternoon, however, both vehicular traffic and the number of tourists had significantly abated, leaving us in a bemused calm.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Had booked four nights but ended up leaving after one night (partly because we had to move on unexpectedly but we also thought we didn't quite get the value for money we had hoped for).
This is no doubt a nice hotel. It's right smack in town (which also means that the traffic going through Melaka's narrow streets is passing right in front of the entrance, of course) and the interior design of the lobby is tasteful and well-done. The rest of the interior was a bit of a surprise for me, though: the house is basically an old shell with a completely newly built construction inside - the rooms are (big) cubicles that basically stand as self-contained units under the old roof (two on top of each other).
The room we had was a deluxe family room (F6), but I have to say we didn't see all that much deluxe in it... As previous reviewers have pointed out, the shower is very nice, but the rest is not in any way particular. There was not much storage space for clothes and there's also no fridge and no safe, if that's important for you. My wife peeked into one or two other rooms and felt they looked much nicer. On the whole, we think that RM300 during the week is at the upper limit of what's acceptable for this - and the RM380 that are being charged on weekends is clearly beyond that.
We didn't have breakfast, so I can't comment on that.
There was an issue with wireless Internet in our part of the hotel, but that was quickly resolved when I contacted reception.
On the whole, I feel slightly disappointed after having read all the raving reviews. I'll still select the option to recommend this hotel because I think it has indeed the ingredients to make many people happy. I myself would probably not return, though.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights in this fine hotel last july. The room looked exactly like the pictures on the website, very well decorated and very clean. Very friendly staff, very nice rainfall-shower, good breakfast...a real treat!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

The staff did not tell me that they have free car park so i just parked off the street when I arrived late for check in. Did not know that I should pay for the street parking and the staff did not bother to ask whether we need their free parking lots. So i got a fine ticket after a night's stay. That is really the oversight of the staff. I think the room is too small for the price and the pillow are too bulky for the neck. Did not get a good sleep.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

We booked kind of late, and they were left with a junior suite which cost RM360 a night.

Got abit of hard time to locate it as the front entrance is sandwiched among some other shops.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, and we can park our car behind the hotel.

Inside, the courtyard is small but stylish, and the room is very well decorated.

They serve very good buffet breakfast, and it's at a loft level.

One of the evening, when we tried to call our daughter in China, who's on a education tour, we had some problem with the prepaid sims we bought, and we tried to call IDD via the public phone but it does not seems to work.

We spoke to the young girl who man the counter at night for help, but she's not sure how to make an IDD call from the hotel phone.

We asked if she can lent us her personal prepaid mobile to us, and we paid her back the call charges, she gladly obliged.

In fact, after the call, she told us the amount is negligible, and need not to pay her, but we insisted.

Generally, a great stay. But the sound proofing still yet to be improve as we can hear people talking as they walked pass our room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard @ Heeren Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!