“Perfect,chilled location” 4 of 5 stars

Pulau Perhentian Besar, Malaysia
“Perfect,chilled location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I've stayed about one week at Old Town Guesthouse;
the room was clean and spacious and so was the rest of the guesthouse; breakfast is available daily and the host Chua is unbelievable friendly and helpful; beside the general information he gave me healso took me around for a walk to show me the city and try some typical food;
definitly a place where I would go back

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed two nights here at Old Town Guesthouse. We caught the bus from Singapore and the taxi driver knew where to find it from the bus station.

We had room six, which was double share with fan and A/C. The bed was extremely comfortable and I slept well both nights. It only has an internal window but this was great for me as I got a nice dark, quiet sleep.

The guesthouse has been painted since the new owner took over and there are brightly coloured murals all over the walls of Melaka and Asian landmarks. It made the place feel 'fun' and I really liked it. The communal areas are spacious with a range of different chair types to relax in... Even some that hang from the ceiling.

The kitchen had more plates, bowls and cutlery than some restaurants! It was great. Fresh water, tea and coffee always available. Big table too for guests to enjoy their meals.

Showers and toilets were clean and served my needs. The whole place was extremely clean and well kept.

The owner was very friendly and chatty. It was good to know there was someone close by if you needed anything.

In regards to a recent review, yes you do need to take your shoes off before going in but this was so obvious to us when we arrived given all the shoes on the staircase! Lots of places in Asia require shoes to be removed before entry.

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Definitely suitable for families too.... There were four kids there under 10 during our stay. The buzzer to open the door is quite high up on the wall so they are safe playing about the guesthouse. You are given a code to get in so it's a secure place too.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Porto, Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

After visiting four countries this was the most unfriendly place I saw in my tour in Asia. I´ve booked a room on this guesthouse but I did not even stay there for one night. The place is hard to find and nobody seemed to know where the place is. I finally found it on an narrow and dirty street.
I was "welcome" by a guy that did not ask me, he just ordered me to take my shoes off in an very arrogant way.
When I tryed to put on my slippers, he ordered me again that no shoes were allowed, again with an arrogant attitude.
I immediatly decided that I was not going to stay in a place like that and I did not even care about the money.
They should say explicitly in Hostelworld that they do not authorize the use of shoes inside because they are not dealing only with local people.

This does not look like a friendly place to stay.

Room Tip: There are lots of good places to stay in Melaka.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had such a great time staying in Old Town Guesthouse - it was perfect for us. Clean room with comfortable bed with fan and aircon. Free breakfast every day to which you help yourself when your ready consisting of bread, jams, bananas and excellent coffee and tea. The Guesthouse had a few nice and comfortable places to chill out and relax and the bathroom facilities were always clean. What really made our stay perfect though was the owner Chua! He was always there to offer you advice and tips on where to go in Melaka and where to eat if you really want to experience local malaysian food and culture. I'm not sure we would of enjoyed Melaka as much as we did if it wasn't for Chua. Brilliant place and would love to go back there someday.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chepstow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Before we decided to book with Old Town we read so many positive reviews on so many different sites and now we can see why this place is loved so much. It has real character and its very clean and comfortable. It really does feel like you're staying at home there and it's location is great too, you can walk to the river from the guesthouse in about 5 minutes and Jonker Street. Highly recommended. Our only regret was that we couldn't stay longer here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Made reservation through their website, quickly done. Price wise: the best you will get for your bucks. Instructions to get there are clear (bus 16 to Bukit China leaves you right around the corner but leaves every hour from Melaka Sentral. If you want a quicker way take bus 17 to downtown, cross the river and walk towards Little India and Chinatown). Facilities are super clean and very nicely decorated. I had a fan room facing the street, not so noisy and comfortable bed. Bathrooms are always clean, never crowded. You have a simple breakfast (toast, tea/ coffee) available and a computer you can use. Best are the common areas: spacious, colorful, a TV living room, a library/lounge area and a huge kitchen table. It's only a 10 min walk to Dutch Square and all you need to see in Melaka.
Special mention to Chua: he is always there to help you in whatever information you need: e.g. time schedules for buses, where to get your backpack repaired! where and how to go to your next destination, the best restaurants in town. He is friendly, knowledgeable and you will have a good laugh with him. I met some very nice fellow travelers there. Don't expect a backpacker party scene though! Overall, don't look further for the perfect accommodation in Melaka!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We went to Melaka to attend a marriage and hoping to put up in a Condo but discovered that it had't been used for a year and unsuitable for us. Through our Nephew Ananad Radhakrishnan's arrangement we landed up at Old Town Guesthouse and never regretted staying there. We were there for two nights and with Mr Chua's ever smiling company and the well equipped kitchen laden with food and drinks, we had a wonderful stay. We hope more and more people will get to enjoy their stay there.
THANK YOU CHUA!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back is excellent
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Old Town Guesthouse? Share your experiences!