“Stay here if you spend more time outside than in the hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tropicaville

Hotel Tropicaville
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melaka
Hotel Tropicaville
7 Jalan Pm 15, Plaza Mahkota | 75000 Bandar Melaka, Melaka, Malaysia   |
Ranked #101 of 144 hotels in Melaka
Singapore, Singapore
“Stay here if you spend more time outside than in the hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife and I made an unscheduled trip to Melaka from 24-25 Mar 2012. We wanted to stay at Holiday Inn but it was fully booked (so was the Mahkota Hotel). While on the way to Holiday Inn, we saw Hotel Tropicaville nearby and went to check if it is available as it was already 7pm.

The hotel lobby wasn't very inviting but at least the receptionist was decent. Fortunately for us, there was a room with a queen-size bed costing RM138. Room was tiny... enough for a bed, one plastic chair and one wooded table top with tv. Bathroom was clean (with a pair of towels) though the water heater wasn't that hot... aircon was pretty cold and there was a fan too. Room had a stale smell but otherwise passable.

WIFI was poor, no breakfast, but ample parking lot, quiet and easily accessible by major roads. Overall, this is an ok hotel but they should knock off another RM50 and I would not make a fuss. It's not a hotel that I'd go with family (or kids). Decent for overnight stayer and travelers on the cheap or plans to stay out more than in.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Masai, Johor, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

i'm just back from my CNY holiday today,i stay for 1 night here with my wife..so shocked when i was informed by the receptionist that the rate are RM138/= for i night and more shocked when i was arrived at the room,huh! it's so small but nice bathroom and very clean at all..so sad there are no breakfast provided to us..u can take this hotel as a last choice if others hotel were fully booked..

Room Tip: no comment..
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
kl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a night. Room is small, but a spacious bathroom. Clean and Comfortable bed but limited tv channels. No breakfast. Room only for RM 98.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

This hotel is located behind the Afamosa fort, towards the sea in the new, posh, mall district of Melaka. As with most developments in that area, this hotel is relatively new & doesnt have the Melaka "old, historic" charm to it.

However, the hotel is quite comfortable, with the only flipside in our experience being that they didnt provide breakfast. The good points are:
1. Ample parking space
2. New rooms meaning new, clean bathrooms & in-room geysers
3. Mattresses are comfortable enough to sleep in
4. Though it is located behind the mall & nightlife stretch, the hotel itself is located in a quiet area meaning you can get a peaceful night's sleep
5. It is ideally located close to the KL-Johor highway meaning you can make a quick exit if you have an onward journey to make

As I wrote earlier, the flipside was that the hotel didnt have a eatery when we went there.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
Sg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2009

Hi Everyone,

I am in the room as I am writing this. I made a booking via the hotel website and paid in full via credit card upon booking for a family room at RM 298 inc RM 50 surcharge for holiday eve (24 Dec).

The price is higher than many other hotels of the same outfit in the area and the ONLY reason I took it up was because it stated that there is a minibar in the hotel which is important for me as I have a toddler and two lower primary children. This was suppose to be my transit night after spending four days at a resort. I frequent Malacca twice yearly and I've stayed in similar hotels nearby.

However, my nightmare begin with receiving a smelly and empty bar fridge. I had anticipated that so I came prepared with mineral water and some drinks for my children. There is no kettle to boil water so when my toddler wanted milk, we had to call the reception to get a flask of water 20 min later (my kid was crying frantic by then). This was when I received the most outrageous experience in a hotel of this price. I requested for a cup so that I can make my drink and the Reception desk told me that they are OUT OF CUPS because it is the holiday period. What on earth are they talking about? I paid the RM 50 surcharge for a room that is supposed to be equipped with a minibar (which implies basics like cups or at least a drinking glass) and they gave a can't be bothered attitude reply!

So what I did was to cross the road, get myself a can drink and use a can opener to remove the top and use it as a drinking cup for my family.

This place is pure Crap!

• Liked — Nothing that I can think of
  • Disliked — The poor service, misleading website and the full payment on booking
  • Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore, Bedok Reservoir
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

I have stayed in this hotel two times, the second time hoping things would have improved but this also ended up in disappointment.

The hotel gives you a "dead" feeling when you enter. The staff, be them receptionists or the cleaners give you a "bo chap" attitude when you see them. The rooms are small but the toilet is big, enough for a small single bed to be placed inside! Such strange demarkation of living spaces really tells the perception of the hotel owner - "no guest comfort in mind". The furnishings in the room are very simple - too simple in fact that you feel you are staying in a backpackers hotel. Not surprisingly, there is absolutely no facilites here except a vending machine selling drinks.

We paid about M$115 per night. Translated to Singapore dollars, this is actually quite cheap. But to be measured against Malaysian living standard, this is expensive! One can definitely find other hotels better than this for the same or slightly higher rates in Melaka. Stay here only when you really have no where to stay!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

I have not yet stayed in this hotel but had initially planned to do so in the middle of this month. So, I made a call to inquire about the facilities and room rates. However, I was shocked to receive a hurried and "couldn't be bothered" kind of response from the other end of the phone line. Before I even finished my sentence, this ill-mannered woman slammed the phone down as if I am collecting some bad debts or something. All I wanted to politely ask was the the basic things anyone would want to ask....room types,room rates, breakfast included or not....any wi-fi facilities provided...that's it. Was that too much to inquire about ?? If this is the attitude...you can imagine the kind of service you can expect. As a new budget hotel in town...they can be rest assured of certain "death" in times to come. They should change management or change personnel to make this hotel as good as their neighbors.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Tropicaville? Share your experiences!