“Great Hill to Climb” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gunung Ledang (Mount Ophir)

Gunung Ledang (Mount Ophir)
| Gunung Ledang National Park, Melaka, Malaysia
Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 93 things to do in Melaka
Singapore, Singapore
52 attraction reviews
“Great Hill to Climb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I climb this hill quite sometime back and its a tough hill as the incline is very steep. You can either climb it from the Malacca side or the Johor State side. I would advise one should be physically fit to climb this hill. There is a resort at the foothill of Gunung Ledang called Gunung Ledang resort. Its a basic 2 star resort. The food is very much home cook styled which is quite good. It is not advisable to camp at the mid level as much of the trees are quite old and when there is heavy rain, the trees tend to fall. try not to climb during the rainy season as there are flash floods occuring as well.

Visited January 2011

• Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
“Fun Trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I actually went in Jan 2010 - i reckon might still be okay since there is no review other than the previous one.

Would not recommend that you arrive at Ledang unprepared directly from Singapore or KL to start the climb - stay either at the resorts around the mountain, basic hotels in Tangkak, or at least Melaka the night before your climb. And if you drive, it makes access a lot easier.

This mountain is by no means an easy climb; it's a bad idea to use this as a prep for Kinabalu (the other way round is probably more true). Nevertheless, the climb is pretty fun (it's way more than walking), expect some ladders, simple climbs requiring hands (don't know whether those can be considered scrambling), and rope-assisted climbs on ~60 degree rock faces that depends heavily on friction. Thus, tip - have good hiking boots; I didn't have a good pair when I climbed and I literally had to pull myself up using arm strength for 30m vertically or so in total? Nearly killed me!

You can arrange for vehicles to pick you up some distance from the summit when you descend. We did that as we reckon we would be tired and the descend would be boring anyway...

After you climbed Ophir, every time you travel past the North South Expressway near Tangkak, you will know that you once stood at the summit of that big mountain in a distance :)

Visited November 2010
Singapore
9 attraction reviews
“A Random Messy Tiring Trip;D”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

My friend invited me along on this trip about one week before. So there was not much time to prepare. I never climbed a mountain that high(1200++m) so I was also not sure of what I should do. In fact, I only started packing like the night before. This was in fact a preparatory trip for my friends who will be scaling Mount Kinabalu in a few weeks time.

It was a short trip- just slightly more than 24 hours. We left on a Saturday evening starting from Kranji MRT, taking the bus towards the causeway. We planned to take the railway train near city square which was at 11pm. Afraid of being caught in the jam, we left pretty early, at 7pm from Singapore. The reason why we didn take the train from Singapore was that it was cheaper to take in Malaysia that's all. The jam was indeed bad, but we managed to have our dinner and made it to the station at about 10pm. So I would suggest giving yourself some leeway, because the causeway during weekend evenings could be quite bad actually.

We were taking the train from near city square to segamat. two major stops away. Taking the ktm was okay i guess. It was air conditioned, and a okay but not super comfortable seat. Estimated time of arrival was 2.30 am. The conductor woke us (12 of us) up nearing the station.

The station was a small platform with some people who were planning to stay overnight there for the first train in the morning. We wanted to take taxis from segamat to the resort at the bottom of mount ophir. Turned out there was not many taxis, and the few present were surely going to charge quite a lot. Since the park only opened in the morning, we decided to just sleep at the bus interchange building nearby and see what we can do in the morning.

Taxis were more in the morning but it really depends on your bargaining skills. Rm40 for a ride which stopped about 2km from your destination because the drivers said that they could not go through the plantation that was beside it. So we decided to ask the buses nearby. it was about rm 5 for the same journey. Then again, the bus stopped a couple of times to pick up more passengers along the roadside, (how the passengers managed to signal or even know the bus was coming I will never know). The bus also stopped and we have a 15 minute break which the bus driver had breakfast?! When we alighted we still have 2km of distance to go. Luckily we found someone who was willing to drive us in for rm300 for all of us. He told us that actually we could just drive in. So in a sense, we were lucky we did not take the taxis.

When we finally reached the resort below to prepare for the climb, we realised that the person who was supposed to meet us wasnt there. Still we had our names registered. Then we had to have our things noted down, what we brought up. Every single thing was noted, from the number of clothings you are wearing, to the number of batteries in your camera. I suggest, just bring the minimum up, and chuck the rest of the things in the lockers provided. rm 10 deposit which is refundable. ( although we forgot about it after we returned)

It is now a rule to have a guide to accompany you up and you will need one for every ten people. However, somehoe the second guide did not turn up, so we just went up with one guide, who wasnt very friendly in the beginning, and was walking very fast.

The climb up took about 5 hours. Mainly because our group was tired out at the start. From the base to checkpoint one was a loooooong flight of stairs. after that it got to just cut out steps in rocks, eroded paths. Although afrom CP 5 onwards (total of 7 CP), you needed to use your hands to climb up using ropes, ladders. So this could be quite hard if you are not prepared for it. There was a stream at CP 5 which was the last water point. The water was really cool and refreshing, though we still added putritabs just in case. I suggest, just bring enough water from base to CP 5, then load up again from there. otherwise it wil be too tiring to climb.