“Zero hospitality, enough of hostility” 2 of 5 stars

Neelams The Grand
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Post Office Road, Calangute 403516, India   |
Ranked #34 of 99 Hotels in Calangute
New Delhi, India
“Zero hospitality, enough of hostility”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

A good hardware should be supported with an equally competent software, otherwise you end up with a poor experience. Neelam Grand is a perfect example of impressive hardware (building) and very poor everything else. When I checked in, the INR 10K per day room did not have towels. After two requests they sent two bath towels. It took one more request to get hand towels. Room was superficially clean with a dirty carpet. When we asked for bottled drinking water, hospitality (or hostility) was at its peak, they replied that since we were only eating breakfast so no bottled water, only filter water. Little more argument got us one litre of bottled water for four nights we stayed.
Hotel has a very poor room service. A request for tea is answered by its price. If you order little more, you are warned that it wont be cancelled. Icing on cake was the so called gala dinner on 31st night. I can only recommend, better avoid this property.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Jaipur, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This hotel is probably not a star rated hotel. Very poorly maintained rooms, dirty and damp floors,Staff non cooperative. Their swimming pool is most pathetic.It is just a pavement area where everybody can pass and at any time with dirty shoes, slippers etc. Water quality of the swimming pool is also very poor. They don't provide water bottles in the room.
However few good things- Breakfast is well served and of good taste.I would advise people to select some other option if they want a quality holiday in Goa.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in November 2013. Hotel located on a very busy junction in Calangute; room big/spacious with balcony facing pool; but staff lacked communication between themselves and we found they were not prepared to budge even if it was their mistake; for example: I went to dining area to request some pinch of salt/pepper to sprinkle on savoury fruits but the staff declined to give me and said they will send it to my room in few minutes; nothing was delivered for 2 hours, so I went back to complain but nobody was prepared to give the reason why they failed to deliver and instead just said "sorry"- that shows lack of consideration for minor/out-of-way service which a customer would appriciate. The other incident was: when we checked in, it was agreed by one of the staff at the reception that when we checkout, their pick up bus (which goes to collect customers from airport daily at 1100am) will take us to the airport without any charge; so on the day of checkout we were told to be ready by 1100am; when we started t put the bags in the bus, a receptionist came running to us asking us to pay Rs.1500- for using their transport to the airport; when we told her about our agreement she was not prepared to listen; to me it seemed all the staff were working like "half programmed robots" without any acknowledgement of humanity or sympathy; they even lacked guts/consideration to accept their own mistakes. Though I cannot find faults with the hotel, rooms and facilities there was lack of human touch in this hotel......I am sure I will find better service than Neelam the Grand when I revisit Goa in future.

Room Tip: Ensure you get things in writing from staff...don't depend on their word because following day t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I spent 28 days at The Grand, from 2-11-2013 until 2-12-2013, from the day i arrived to the day i left, nothing was too much trouble for all the staff at this Hotel, the staff in reception went overboard to help me when i had trouble with the bank in the UK, thanks to one guy called Virender who let me use his phone to sort out with bank in UK, everyone from the guys who cleaned my room on a daily basis to the guy who looked after the pool were very friendly & polite, everyone in the Restaurant, waiters, waitresses & management were very helpful, while during my stay i often stayed at the Hotel & had a meal, outside by the pool, right down to Roy & his staff were very polite & friendly & could not do enough, not forgetting the Chefs who would come out from the kitchen & ask you how your meal was, i cannot say enough good things about this Wonderful Hotel, if anyone is thinking of going to Goa & are staying in Calangute, then do yourself a favour & book yourself into Neelams The Grand, you will not be dissapointed, go on book it.

Room Tip: All rooms are very clean & quiet & most look over the pool area.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Navi Mumbai, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is at walking distance from calangute beach. Thoguh I won't recommend calangute beach (it is overcrowded), this hotel is really value for money. Balcony of all rooms are pool facing. Rooms are clean and hygiene. Food (including breakfast) is good with lot of variety.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Me and my husband had stayed at the hotel from 1st Nov to 4th Nov ie during the Diwali week. We had earlier stayed at Neelam's Countryside in Malvan at our hometown. Due to our pleasant stay and good food at Malvan we went ahead blindly with Neelam's Goa. As expected the rooms were pleasant and so is the hotel. The lobby area, pool area is a great sight once you enter the hotel. The buffett breakfast was wonderful but yes if you go for a-la-carte the food is bit over-priced. The service is quite prompt. The location of hotel is superb as it is 15 mins walk to Calangute beach. In addition the hotel is near to the market and KFC is adjacent to the hotel. I had also indulged myself in Kerala massage believe me it was the best massage I have ever had (much better than what I had during my visit to Kerala.) Please do indulge in it, highly recommended. Due to Diwali celebration, the pool area was beautifully lit and the entire lobby was decorated with Diyas. Overall a wonderful experience. Will surely like to visit once again for our holidays.

Room Tip: Go for a swimming pool view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

It was holiday time in Dec myself along with our extended family a total of 6 adults with 2 child were planning for a vacation in Goa. Typically in Goa near christmas time is the peak season and prices at all resorts & hotels will be soaring high. But we still wanted to choose to a minumum of 3 start category of hotel even at a premium price for a quality stay & vacation. We finalised North Goa & after that we decided calngute area. We looked at tripadvisor for reviews to help us finalise resorts but all the hotels with resonably good reviews were sold out. We found Neelam the grand with fair mixed reviews so we decided with this option. I directly called the hotel for booking but found travel portal was a good option as the rates offered by hotel were expensive than the ones offered by travel portals. Hence made my booking from a travel portal.

The problem started from hereon. After making my reservation on one the popular travel portals in India i sent an email to the hotel reservation desk asking to confirm the reservation but strangely they were denying to confirm & told me that since booking is through travel portal i will have to contact them & they cannot directly send me a confirmation.. I was thinking at that itme What kind of 3star service is this?? After series of effort in making at least 10 phone calls to travel protals customer support & hotel reservation staff for 3/4 days finally got an email confirmation from them.

Now lets come to the stay. We reached hotel at noon time.. Since we drove ourselves by care we needed a safe car park space. No major dedicated car park space. The security provided a space in the front of the gate & asked me to provide the car key, i was not comfortable with that.. SOmehow i maanged him by saying that i dont mind to park in a corner as i will not using my vehicle for the next 3/4 days so he gave me a corner space..

Rooms very average..Bathroom fittings were rusted. You can smell the rust in water in the shower & wash basin.. We took a room near the pool in the 2nd floor. No lift we have to use the stairs.. No cleanliness, the staris was always occupied with room cleaning stuff, garbage bags etc, not the feel of a 3 star facility..

Brakfast is the only good about the hotel. Restaurant for lunch/dinner is pretty expensive but not frsh food. We ate non veg once for lunch & decided we will not eat in that restaurant going forward as the chicken/fish was not fresh & we had stomach issues..

Very poor customer service, the staff is not helpful at all. OUr experience was like staying in a lodge with pretty much everything we had to take care on our own..

Hotel not close to the beach at all. Calngute beach is about 2 kms far.

Overall i would advise to avoid this hotel, due to poor room quality for the price, very poor customer service, poor restaurant, overall very badly managed hotel..

Room Tip: No good rooms, only exterior looks good, interior is pretty bad. Certainly not a 3 star hotel. Its a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Neelams The Grand? Share your experiences!