“Perfect vacation at the Beach!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Goan Heritage
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Gauro Vaddo, Calangute 403516, India   |
Ranked #26 of 139 Calangute B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Perfect vacation at the Beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We visited Goa and stayed at this place during the last week of Jan 2013. Airport pickup and drop-off were included in a very comfortable private vehicle. Room was neat and clean and service was very good. Restaurant on the property had a very good food. The best part was the location. Right at the beach, not very far from public beaches so you can be among crowd and stay isolated without spending too much time in travelling during the day. Beach is little steep but I found it okay even for my two toddlers. All the water rides were stone throw away from this beach. Popular market were short driving distance (car or motor bike). Perfect place for both couples and families visiting Goa.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the pool coz back side oif the property does not have any view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

A wonderful piece of property by the beachside. The delux rooms overlooking the pool are good. The famous calangute beach is right beyond the boundaries of this hotel, where lots of water sports are organized all day long. You can also hire a bike through the hotel easily. Breakfast spread was good. Overall, a nice experience. Will surely be going back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Karimnagar, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have checked in on 15th of Jan 13, on the day before we have informed the management that we are coming on this date by a private volvo bus and kindly arrange the free pickup service, surprisingly management says that they pickup only from railway or airport and not from any where !
Good things first. 1. Food was excellent. 2. Location is fantastic. 3. Staff were co-operative 4. Lot of activities can be done other then Beaches, like, Swimming pool, table tennis, Jim, carom, shopping.
Bad things Next : 1. Bed were making lot of sound, 2. No travel counter separately. 3. Prices are little higher when compared else where 4. Only two mineral water was given for Four day stay, remaining were charged at Rs. 26 per litre.

Over all nice experience, I will again go to the same hotel, if they give some valuable discounts.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

For me it was a trip to remember...i finally could swim with the help of their coach in just a couple of hours.
The rooms r neat and clean except for the little dampness that i could feel in their ground floor rooms. The service is good.
The hotel landscaping is beautifull.
Food is ok dint find the taste which would leave us wanting for more.
Greatest advantage is its location...bang on the beach

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
St Johns
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this resort for two nights. The purpose of our visit to Goa was to attend a wedding; the reception was to be held here at the resort.

For the price of the stay, I tend to compare it with the Baymont Inn & Suites in Miami. We stayed in a deluxe room. The room was simple, clean, with running hot and cold water, tea/coffee maker, mini bar, LCD TV, two bottles of complimentary water on day 1.

The air conditioner (window unit) wasn't working optimally; we notified the front desk who sent someone right away to check on it. The unit was replaced immediately with a functional piece, and the next day, without us asking, was replaced again with a brand new O'General unit.

The comode in the toilet was unusually high, so that my feet were four inches off the ground when I sat on it (I am a 173 cm tall). This was a feature (or problem) in the adjacent rooms as well, where my parents and brothers were staying.

The room was overlooking the pool and wasn't a tad noisy (so much for the negative reviews I read regarding the same!)

A sumptuous Buffet Breakfast, served from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Both Indian and Western selection available - idli, wada, upma, puri, to order (included in Buffet) - eggs, ham, sausages, bacon

May I point out that all the hotel staff we dealt with were very courteous and helpful, unlike what I read in some of the reviews.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ratnagiri, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Nice Rooms, Excellent Ambiance, An Heritage Property Superbly well maintained Lawns---But Very Poor Experience at Reception Service Area Staff--Very Non Co-operative Male Staff -- Very Stiff On Complimentary Buffet Timings Buffet time is 8 am to 10 am and at 10.10am the doors are closed your not allowed inside then you speak to the senior staff and come in as a big favor is done to you, and at 10.15am the buffet food is being removed right when you are at the buffet table helping yourself when i had an argument then the restaurant manager comes and tells us that they will serve it on my table ---very lousy and tasteless food at the buffet rock solid mendhu wada but good sambhar---limited choice--when you are with four small children and two families , come on timings are not so stringent if i come by 10.30am then i should request but not at 10am --- will never go back for an totally spoiled holiday---the resort couldnot provide us two dinner plates and two spoons at 12.15 am when we came late the Front office staff was giving lame excuses ---

Room Tip: Please see the rooms before check in
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Booking experience: If anyone thinks that booking a decent room in a good hotel in Goa during the month of November is going to be easy, then time to correct your perception. Their peak season starts in October and continues till April. I must have written atleast 50 mails to various hotels, several reminders, but sad to say that hardly 5% of mails were responded. Either Goan hotels do not work through mails,( in which case I wonder how do tourists from outside India make their bookings) or success has given way to complacency. I ultimately had to resort to calling and it's only then I got to know that they didn’t have any rooms left and hence never bothered to reply, which I feel is highly unprofessional.
Honestly, Goan Heritage never figured in my list during my search. The hotel was suggested by someone in Casa Severina( which is near Goan Heritage) when they said they didn’t have a room of my liking, left . I highly appreciate their gesture, quite unexpected. My booking experience with Goan Heritage is just fine, wont say very good. Their reservation guy, Francis, is slow in responding to mails which I later found out was because he is always out when I first called them to enquire about the room availability. But he was kind enough to hold our booking for 4 days when I told him that my bank would not allow immediate payment. Point to note: Entire booking amount has to be paid in advance. On my special request, they arranged fruit basket, eggless cake (over-priced, but very yummy) and one complimentary bottle of local port wine to celebrate our anniversary. I wish they had arranged for flowers too.
Location , property and food: Like most of the hotels on Calangute beach, the approach is through narrow lanes, full of local and Tibetan flea shops and you wonder where the taxi driver is taking you. But that’s about it, it's only the approach which is unattractive, the hotels are not.
We checked in late, and were welcomed with fruit juice and since I had already requested several times, our checkin was very smooth.
As you enter the property, you are welcomed with a lovely pool in the middle , and three 2- storied buildings surrounded by well maintained garden. This is not what the approach prepares you for and hence you are pleasantly surprised. The pool and the garden have several chairs where people can be seen playing cards and sunbathing during the day. Besides the pool is their bar. The food inside resort is very reasonably priced and well prepared, unlike what you might expect in typical resorts. But then food rates in entire Goa are very reasonable.
The hotel consists of 3 buidlings , located in U shape and there are NO rooms with sea-view as many have mentioned in their reviews. The open end of U is actually an open garden, where they sometimes hold their parties and barbeques. This garden has a gate which directly opens into a beach. The gate is open only from 7AM-7PM, and if there is any kid wanting to go alone, then the guard insists that he is accompanied by his guardians. This is THE USP of the hotel- direct entry to the best beach of Goa.
Rooms and room service: Goan Heritage has 3 types of room, standard, Deluxe and Suites. There is not much of a difference between Deluxe and Standard rooms except that Standard rooms are without any view, as they are located at the back side of the building compared to Deluxe rooms which have pool view. Every room is equipped with AC. Also, every room has tiny balcony where there are 2 garden chairs and a small table and it feel good sitting there. The rooms are spacious, and well maintained. Bathrooms are also quite large, but Deluxe rooms do not have bath tubs. Every room has a mini bar and a safe locker and you have to take keys for both from the reception. I still do not understand why they keep the mini bar locked because they do check the minibar during the checkout. I did not like it. It also has a small flat TV which has sufficient number of channels. The room also receives news paper though not regularly. But then who likes to watch TV or read newspaper in Goa ?
Apart from the bed, they have all the other mandatory things like 2 chairs, table and one dressing table along with almirah etc.
One thing which did not appeal to me was the house keeping. Despite my requests, the coffee maker was never cleaned during our stay, although they were very prompt in giving us extra towels every time we requested for it. Also, the jug is not refilled with drinking water during the time they clean the room and water had to be requested every time. We started buying water from outside.
Tolietteries provided includes just soap and shampoos but in ample quantity. I don't know whether it's Goan water or the soaps, but during our stay, our skin became very smooth and there was no skin dryness.
At the end, I will highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning their next visit to Goa. Despite small shortcomings, which I hope will be corrected soon, it was a very nice experience. In Goa if you are not staying at the beach, then you have half- spoilt your vacation.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the corner.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Goan Heritage? Share your experiences!