“Something different” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pousada Tauma

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calangute
Pousada Tauma
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Porba Vaddo | Calangute Bardez Goa, Calangute, India   |
Ranked #1 of 99 hotels in Calangute
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Something different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Pousada Tauma is a true oasis and a unique experience. It is on the edge of Calangute - not everyone's cup-of-tea - but the clever design and lush tropical planting mean that you are totally insulated from the hussle and bustle of the crowds. However this proximity does allow you to sample the fleshpots of the town and then retreat to the peace and calm of this unique hotel.

What Pousada Tauma is not is a run-of-the-mill five star tourist hotel. It does come at a premium price but what you are paying for is exclusivity - only 12 suites, personal service - everyone mentions Matthew, a unique style in both the private and public spaces. The photographs don't do the pool and its surrounds justice - it is just like stepping into paradise.

If you want a big five-star hotel, based on an international template - then you won't find what you are looking for at Pousada Tauma. But if you want something a little unique which gives you time and space to think and reflect - then this is the place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
florence
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

A very special experience. I travelled a lot in India. This is my 18th time, every time for one month, sometimes more.I soent in Posasada 4 nights in january 2013. About it i can say that it is a perfect combination of style and special atmosphere together. All the staff care you a lot. The room is clean and if you need something you have just to ask and it will be true in few time. The position is perfect : silence but in the hearth of Calangute. Ther owner, Neville,and his wife Angelica are people really hospitable and kindly. It is really an oasis of peace where to relax. Thank you to everybody to give me this esperience.

Room Tip: We chosed a room in front the pool : very nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed at Pousada Tauma during December and found the Hotel exceptional. The staff were of the friendliest I have ever encountered. Neville, the owner, was exceptional in his attentiveness to the guests. I can truly say that he touched each one of us every day and made us feel special.
I am at a loss and feel bound to Neville and his devoured team to discredit the "Never Again ! It's a scam! Be careful! " I made my decision to stay there based on previous trip advisors reviews - and yes I can say that my stay was fantastic . It was my second visit to Goa and the first time I stayed a a large 5 star hotel - it does not compare to the hospitality and value which I received at Pousada Tauma. Neville and his team will see me back and have in fact recommended friends to stay at this exceptional haven as well .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The negative review below is so, so, so the opposite of my recent experience it just seems so weird and off the mark to me. This place is an absolute delight. I have traveled extensively and this place stands out for me by combining a 5-star experience with simple down home friendliness and caring. The feeling was like being in your own personal holiday retreat with butlers ever ready to handle any little thing you needed. They are not butlers of course, simply friendly and thoughtful staff members who naturally exude world class customer service. It is a special feeling. The resort itself is actually two resorts in one. Where you stay is an oasis of tropical calm by day and a fairy land of star lights by night. The other part of the resort is at the beach with lounges and a cafe and positioned just enough away from other beach places to ensure peace, calm and privacy. Neville clearly knows the hospitality industry and has put it all togehter here to great effect. It is one of those places I'll be talking about for years. Thank you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Meanwhile I am here since 2003 every year except 2006 and 2011 because for reasons of health.
Before I found this place I have seen together with my husband a big part of the world and luxury hotels at many places.
The only reason that I come again despite of the strenuous traveling - I am not the youngest - is the special atmosphere. Everybody in the hotel give you the feeling you alone are the main person, all your special wishes are noticed, when you really have a reason to complain (I never had) it will be changed in the same moment.
After a gap of 2 years I noticed that Goa is changing like all other places in the world with an increasing Tourismus - but the Pousada Tauma has not changing, to the contrary it has won because of the Beach House, it is a second place for relaxing and the best food from Kevin.

I hope I can come again next year, to stay here is the best medizin.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We spent 8 days at the Pousada Tauma - wish it could have been 8 weeks.Just sensational.
We agreed that our bathroom needed updating but our decor and four poster bed was traditional, which we loved - all was very clean,the staff were very attentive and the hotel is a haven of peace, quiet and tranquillity and feels so remote from the busy Calangute.We enjoyed our morning and evening meals from a very good menu and in such a beautiful setting. Just perfect.My partner is a swimmer and enjoyed the larger than usual hotel pool to do morning and evening laps.Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for the owner and staff - things just happened which is the benefit of a smaller hotel - that personal touch. On the way to Calangute I called Neville and advised that my partner needed emergency dental treatment which he susequently arranged and on arrival immediately drove us to an excellent dentist. We cannot thank Neville or the dentist enough.An additional bonus is the beach cafe which has clean showers and toilets,shade and sunbeds and excellent food and we gave just 10 minutes notice for a car to take us to this wonderful relaxing beach location. So all in all a great stay at Pousada Tauma.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Staying at Posada Toama was an idyllic and amazing experience. I wouldn’t just say it was just a “boutique” or "heritage" hotel, because it defines and surpasses those monikers. It is the only place I would stay at in Goa. I arrived off-season in October and was greeted warmly (an understatement) by the staff by name by Matthew, Kevin the chef, and the owner Neville. I was treated like I was the only one staying there. The property was built partially on the ancestral land of Neville, and is an incredible thing to view. Neville and the staff take considerable pride (as they should) in the unique architecture of the buildings and grounds. I was apparently the first to use the “Yoga Circle”, which is part of an ongoing project of Neville’s to enhance the immaculate gardenscape of the property. I practiced Yoga each morning and then had an incredibly prepared breakfast. The staff arranged trips, at my whim, to their beachside property 5 minutes away, which provides a private, sophisticated oasis on one of the loveliest stretches of beach around. The food and drinks at the beachside are topnotch, and are handled during the day by Kevin. Dinner was incredible, I left the menu up to the chef and was continually impressed by what was by far the best food that I had in India (try the local Feni, a unique aperitif). I travel on my stomach to speak, and have been around the world, and this is one of the best places foodwise and traveIwise that I have ever been. Each course surprised (I even asked for and got the recipe for the PirPiri). Neville is as hospitable as they come, and like me, a jogger. He and the staff informed me on every question I had about the area and more. They arranged trips around Goa (spice plantations, towns, cathedrals, shopping, etc.) and nothing seemed beyond reach. The spa is great and revolves around your schedule. So, if you are like I was and are reviewing all of the places to stay in Goa, I would say that I scored the jackpot with staying here. This is a place connected with the local community and culture, while providing the luxury, personal touches, and the fantastic food that you are looking for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Pousada Tauma? Share your experiences!