“Recist staff and rude management” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 147 Restaurants in Calangute
Cuisines: Indian, Continental, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: The Sea/Beach facing Garden Restaurant and Bar is open from 11 am 7 pm . Pousada by the Beach is located at the end of Holiday street at Gaura Vaddo Calangute. To get to us, come to the end of the street, head to the beach, as you face the sea turn right, walk about 75 meters, through a couple of shacks and you will see a green patch, a few fishing boats and a gate flanked by two terracotta saluting Portuguese soldiers...Welcoming you. We provide Sun Bed along with an umbrella for a charge of Rs.900/-Per person,for day use .This amount can be adjusted towards consumption of food or drinks. We also provide facilities such as shower, changing rooms and toilets. We request our guests to carry their own towels.
Bangalore
“Recist staff and rude management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I actually went to this place after reading the rave reviews on trip advisor.
My experience was horrible to say the least.
We were 4 adults and 2 children (totally 6 people.)
When we reached the restaurant, the security stopped us.We said, "We are here for dinner do you have any tables available?" he called inside on his walky and muttered "there are 6 Indians, asking for table what do I do?!!"..
After a bit of conversation , he let us in ..
Well after walking through to the place, we were looking for a table to sit or someone to guide us to our table.
Since we had reached after a long drive, me and my son needed to relieve ourselves so we immediately looked for a loo and went there.
In the meanwhile my wife and my friends family were waiting for the waiter to seat them.. in the meanwhile a manager like person came around and asked her,"have you looked at the menu?" "Can you afford this place?" and some other things on these lines.(May be due to the long drive, we were looking a bit ruffled ...? but still .. what business manager has to ask such an insulting question to a question? We expected it least from a place which looked ok from outside ..)
When I came back from the loo, my wife informed me about this conversation, she was really pissed off & offended and so was I .. we immediately decided to leave the place and walk off .. To our dismay and to add insult to the injury, the guy(who did not look Indian) shouted back .. "oh you just wanted to [--] in a fancy place?" . I really felt the urge to punch the guy in the face ...
But as a law abiding citizen I held myself back .. and just walked off thinking ignoring the guy is best way to deal with it.
We were staying at Taj fort Aguada and as you know Taj all over the world would always treat every guest with respect without looking at color of their skin ("even if you do not buy anything there"). I wish these privately run 'Foreigners only' places learn a bit of hospitality from Taj.
From all we could experience, the ambiance of the place is ok .. but if you are Indian and you do not wish to get insulted, please do not go to this place.
If you are not Indian and if you do not wish to encourage racist behavior against Indians in our own country, pls stay away.

• Visited January 2013
pousada, Owner at Pousada by the Beach, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
On the onset wish to inform our guests to be vary of the review written .We have no control or say as to what is written by disgruntle elements with vested interest who think that they have the power to destroy the hard earned reputation in one stroke .

Lucky for a Goan like me , in the service industry for more than 14 years and addition to that my hard earned on the job 13 years of experience with the Taj Group of Hotel in Goa ,reviews like the one written by any tom.dick and harry make no difference to us,but sadly the earlier excitement of being featured and reviewed on TripAdvisoris is long lost .

Lots of outlets like us used to discuses "new" reviews in the morning meetings ,but not any more since we are told by many demanding guests " if you don't given in ,we will write on TripAdvisor " The scope of misuse is tremendous and this review is an very good example .

We do love constructive criticism and we also don't expect that we should always be reviewed positively ,but rants like the above should not be allowed .Disclosing the identity would avoid all this slander.I m very proud to be born in my country called India and the land of our greatest peace loving ...Mahatma Gandhi

Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Good food, great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The location is fantastic, its practically on the beach but yet isolated in its own way. The restaurant has been done up fantastically and the service is fantastic. Lovely place to relax over some drinks and good food.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Antalya, Turkey
“so beautiful, so exotic and sooooo delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

you can find the same beautiful garden as in Hotel Pousada Tauma. the place is by far the shining star of the beach. very relaxing and peacefull. on top you have excellent food and a very kind service.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“Private, peaceful and delicious food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Pousada Tauma, by the same owner, with the same chef in the kitchen, for 5 days. We had lunch at the beach here three times.
We loved it. A very quiet, private beach spot and beach restaurant with delicious food. And with a sweet dog, Biscuit, to play with, as a bonus...hahaha...
Toilets were spotlessly clean. Sunbeds lovely with good view of beach and sea.
Highly recommended!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Reading, England
“Everything you could want on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Pousada by the Beach is a great base from which to enjoy a day on the beach. Just a hot dash across the sand from the water's edge it offers comfy sun beds, sunshine or shade, good food, cool drinks, clean beach loos and a shower. It is set a little further back than most of the beach shacks in a really attractive garden. Service is personal and efficient. You can just leave your stuff and walk along the shore for some much needed exercise and eyebrow raising people watching, then retreat to this little oasis when tired of the throng!
There is a charge for the sun beds, but this can be offset against meals and drinks and helps to maintain a degree of exclusivity.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere