“Another disappointing taj hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Taj Exotica Goa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calwaddo, Benaulim 403716, India   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Benaulim
uk
“Another disappointing taj hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

We booked this hotel after reading great reviews on it and again we were disappointed with the Taj Group. Firstly there was something drastically wrong with AC as it caused so much condensation in the room that my son slipped on the tiled floor many times and when we complained we were advised this was normal because of the humidity in the air (total rubbish).
Then we asked why we had a sit out balcony in both rooms with no furniture to sit outside with. We were informed this was because we were in a lower rate room and they had put the furniture in storage. This was never explained to us when we booked, otherwise we would have gone elsewhere.
We then complained to the manager stating the whole reason for us being in a sea view villa was to appreciate the views which we could not see thorough our closed patio doors (we could not leave them open because of the condensation and fear of our eight year old injurying himself on the slippery floor).
Eventually we were sent centuries old chairs with white covers. These attracted so many flies that we could not sit outside anyway. Overall we have decided never again will we stay at a Taj Hotel. Both their hotels in Goa need upgrading and brought into the 21st Century with the other 5 star rated hotels.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Accommodation
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
chennai,india
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

i went to taj exotica goa and stayed there for three nights at a private pool villa.please dont stay at this resort.because this private pool villa offers no privacy for travellers.the name is private pool but anybody from other rooms or villas or hotel staffs can see you easily.the hotel staffs are freely roamong in that area. its in such a open place.no honeymooners can enjoy such place.
After we finished our bath ,some staff from the hotel advised me not to use soaps in the private pool area?such is the pathetic state of this hotel that some staffs are always watching you what are you doing in your private pool.very rude staff and lack of privacy.
then regarding food,you can expect a high amont of flies in the buffet hall of eugenia.food standard is also very low.in three days, they served me several sweets but no sweet is good.nobody has taken a spoon of sweets in that hall.
my rooms minibar has been checked daily.that is not wrong.but the man is checking its packing and counting its content again again then weighing the chocolate boxes.
the resort is also charging around 25,000 per day but their service is terrible.dont choose it.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — private pool with public access
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
kerala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

Overall wonderful stay

Stayed June 2008
new delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

My stay with this resort is way above than this review says . This is just so good , the best resort in goa .

Food @ Eugenia best ( included in our package ) . Its is just too good along with excellent waiters ( Kapil & his other partners , I don't remember their names ) . They serve food nicely & ofcourse with a smile . The food was way above than what you can think of .

Room are good loaded with DVD , Clean Linen , Clean Bathroom & other necessary facilities . Well it would be good if they are upgraded to New LCD Flat TV . But then what I felt is rooms needed a little modern touch . But then the room were good enough .

Staff at this resort is the best thing . Be it chef , waiter , manager , club car driver , the top level managers and even the gardeners greet you at every point of time . It cheers your mood , that is very welcoming not regular at other 5 star properties . Also the security staff did medical dressing to my wonders and also elderly paramedic officer .

View was very good . We had rooms with private pools that gave an excellent view of golf course and beyond that sea . This is also good .

Spa is also very good , though we did not use it . But the layout was excellent . The Jacuzzi , gym and steam was also good .

Over all our stay was very good . My last stay was in Leela Goa , but after staying at this property its tough to choose between Leels and Taj Exotica . But Taj Has a little edge over Leela .

I am very happy with the stay and will surely come again next time .

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leicester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

Review on the Taj Exotica – Goa

Stayed from : 17th May to 23rd May

Key contacts : [Restauramt Managers] : Amit Malhotra, Sheldon Periera, [chefs]: Gaurav, Piyush, and Another Chef, – (cooked in the med restaurant)

Hotel is 10 years old but is kept to a high standard. The rooms are very clean and air conditioned. You need it as the humidity was 60%. I stayed in a garden Villa room 607 which was excellent as its on the first floor of the villa so I enjoyed views of the ocean. A very good spot. The rooms are huge and I would definitely select the Garden Villa rooms again.

Food – unbelievable,. The chefs prepare food to a very high standard and this is complimented with the very high standard of waiting service. Key Waiting staff that I was very impressed with : Brian and Sideshwar. The Food and beverage managers – Amit, Ashish and Sheldon also offer a very high standard of service. Very helpful and try and accommodate every need. This was important to me as I am very fussy with my food. The key chefs that prepared special meals for me were Guarav, Piyush whose food I found to be excellent and a third chef that prepared some fish for me in the meditarranean restaurant. He was very good too. They were all very accommodating and look forward to the experience next year when I take the family.

Amit Malhotra and Sheldon Pereira who manage two different restaurants at the hotel are excellent hosts. Very attentive and very professional they will try and cater to your every need, Being a very fussy eater, I was very impressed with the flexibility and their ability to accommodate.

Spa – I used the spare every day and can see why this has won awards. The Indian deep tissue massage is a must at this Spa and if you can get Tenzin to be your therapist – you wont want to select anyone else. I don’t have anything adverse to say. Service here was also excellent. They have a steam room, and Jacuzzi. I was also fortunate to have had a massage in a couple’s room. The room is well equipped with bath tubs for two and separate massage beds. Although I did not get round to using the room fully (I was on my own) it’s a great setting for couples.

The hotel also has a good size gym which is well equipped. A personal trainer is also on hand who is very helpful and highly recommended.

Time of Year – I am going back. For me – all I wanted was peace and quiet, this was an excellent time to visit this hotel. Its off season so all the usual tourists weren’t around. The hotel was as partial capacity (don’t know the figures) but I would guess 20% . it was great. No tourist to get in the way during dinner, in the pool or Spa. I will only go to Goa and this hotel during this period.

Sunsets – these are the best I have seen. This is a great place for honeymoon couples. Dinner on the beach is possible and the setting is awesome.

Pool – they have two - a kiddies and adult pool. Very spacious indeed. The hotel also run a lot of activities for those who don’t want to leave the grounds,you wont be bored. I was very impressed with the level an variety of activities they display. The water in the pool is maintained at a very nice temperature.

From my comments – yes you guessed it – I am definitely going back in May 09

• Liked — very clean and large rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

We stayed at the Taj Exotica at Goa in the beginning of May this year. Our idea was to chill out and just relax by a good beach.

The exotica lived up to most of our expectations and overall it was a pleasent get away. The Taj has got it 'mostly' right.

So whats good bout this place?

1) The property: its huge, well maintained and well thought out. Good facilities to keep you occupied (atleast when you are trying to chill). Rooms are big, clean and well appointed with stuff that one would want - mini bar, tea/coffee etc.
2) The Beach: This is really good, clean and not crowded. One can just keep walking without being disturbed. The best part of the resort
3) The food: We were on the full board Plan. As part of this plan there are buffets.Theres a good spread of starters, salad, main course and desserts. It is excellent - no doubts and so if you were planning on giving your tummies a break forget it.
4) Interesting activities - Dance, yoga, star gazing. These were really great fun.
5) Service is pretty friendly most of the times.
6) Though this is a major MICE destination in the off season it is pretty big and the MICE events really dont encroach on other holidaying guests. A team from IBM was lodged but really didnt seem to bother us.

So whats not good?

Well the Taj fell short on the attention to detail part of hospitality. When one goes to a resort like Taj one expects them to anticipate your needs and go the extra step to make you feel good. This just didnt happen and so one had to ask and remind the staff to get stuff done.

My cribs bout the place:

1) They screwed up billing- first they included stuff from the mini bar(that we didnt use) and then missed out giving a discount on the food we had. I hate it when people mess up billing - It almost feels like they are trying to cheat. Fixed that after I went back to them asking for claricifations - no apology though. Caveat Emptor.
2) The car arrived late to pick us - waited 15 min. And While we are on the Car subject when we booked the holiday we were told by the toll free number guys that they did not offer transfers. We checked couple of times. Only when we called the hotel did they say that that the package included the transfers.
3) We had asked for an early checkin (1 hr) and also for a King bed. Both those didnt work out. But the sad part was the actual checking was 15 minutes later than the normal check-in time. Considering that they have a 2 Hr difference between Check out and Check-in I couldnt figure why they couldnt arrange for a 1hr early checkin.
4) Service needs to be more pro-active:
A) We would need to ask for cutlery, water to be served each time we were at the cafe.
B) As a host you could Offer guests a glass of water when they arrive at your door step in the sultry Goan weather. We were directed to the bar when we asked for water. Forgetting Indian roots I guess.
C) You will find that service is discriminatory at times - If you are Indian yourself. A waiter at the lobster shack sternly told us we could take the table only if we ordered dinner (dude we walked down to the lobster shack to catch a bus!! Got any). Anyway the restaurant has an awesome location but is priced ridiculously. To top it We were served salads from the same days Cafe Lunch. Not what you expect when your shelling out so much money.

Oh couple of other tips while you are there:

1) We were at a Garden villa - choose the villa right. Ask for a villa close to the main building if you want to do stuff - activites etc. Ask for a secluded one if you want privacy. Also the sea view villas dont really have a view of the sea and the plunge pools are really small to enjoy.

2) There is this guy Pele hawking water sports right in front of the Taj. Give him a miss - he is out there to swindle. If you are really keen to do stuff all major beaches have in Goa have facilities for water sports at a much more reasonable price.

3) There is a shack right next to the exotica grounds - good place to head to for some decent inexpensive Grub and Beer.

4) Getting Around: We just picked a bike from near the hotel gate and biked around Goa for half a day. The roads are pretty empty and scenic. It awesome especially after all the city driving.

5) Getting there: We went over from Bangalore. There are a bunch of flights from Banaglore. But with the Bangalore airport being where it is trains are a great option. Take the night train to Londa - change there and hop onto another train to Madgaon - pretty cool. The exotica is a 15 minute ride from Madgaon station (wonder why they havent put this peice of information on the Taj site).

• Liked — The Beach
  • Disliked — Lack of "attention to detail"
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St. Paul-de-Vence
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

The idea was to spend a week in the heat and learn to play golf!

We had visited the hotel briefly for lunch as part of the Deccan Odyssey trip a few years ago. It seemed a fun place which featured its own golf course amongst the many activities.

We booked a villa with its own plunge pool. The room was clean, the furnishings were good without being luxurious. The Wi-Fi worked well (over 2000 kbps) after their Tech had typed in the hotel's IP address on my laptop. The bathroom was quite OK, except that the slow drainage coupled with high shower pressure caused water to spill out and flood the bathroom floor. The plunge pool was too warm (34C) and shallow (1m) to be enjoyed.

The activities on offer are excellent and varied, from a 9 hole golf course, a 9 hole putting course, archery, an enormous pool with watersports, badminton, tennis, bicycling, cricket to many activities for children, including a magician.

We started our golf at 8.00 every day. We were the only players on the course. Johnson was a good and attentive coach. By 9.30 it was too hot to continue!

The sea was filthy, given a miss by almost everybody, although the sand was firm and you could walk for miles.

We tried all the restaurants. We found the Li Bai and Miguel Arcanjo the best, closely followed by the Alegria. The Lobster Shack was a disappointment, and the Eugenia lacked skilled service personnel.

On average, staff visited our villa around 8 times a day (overkill), which included delivering an activities list daily (they could have slipped it under the door). It was quite annoying to be disturbed so frequently.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay, but it really is a place for families with lots of kids!

• Liked — Activities available
  • Disliked — Being disturbed frequently throughout the day by staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Taj Exotica Goa? Share your experiences!