“Best of the chain!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Irondale
Portland, Tennessee
“Best of the chain!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I've stayed in many Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express hotels. This is definitely the nicest. It was spotless with nice amenities. The young lady at the desk was very friendly and helpful. The only reason I didn't give 5 Stars is that the breakfast wasn't very good. To be fair, it was almost time for breakfast to end. Maybe they had a better selection earlier.

I've stayed at another Holiday Inn near the Birmingham airport, but this one is much nicer and in a better neighborhood.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
StaySmrtIrndale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are elated that you had a great stay with us. It is our goal to ensure that we exceed your expections and we are happy that we succeed with your stay. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you come back for many more visits.

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Franklin, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Of all the Holiday Inn Express hotels I've stayed at, this one was the cleanest and had the best service. I recommend this hotel to anyone in the area or traveling. I searched before selecting this hotel and the reviews and comments from others helped me determine my selection. It's not very close to places to eat, but if you drive 2 miles from the hotel, there's an Olive Garden along with all the fast food. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you..we are excited to have met your expectations. It is our daily goal to ensure that all our guest are stasfied with our service and it makes us very happy when we succeed. I will share your comments with our staff and continue improving our areas of opportunities. Thank you for taking the time to post a comment, it is guest like yourself that helps us with our continuous improvement.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here this past weekend for the SWAC championship football game and overall the hotel was OK expected more from a holiday inn express. The problem came around 10:00pm when a stranger called my room pretending to be from the hotel staff asking for personal and credit card information claiming that the computers had a malfunction and that the hotel needed my information again, i became cautious and refused. After talking to the lady at the front desk he had called other rooms as well from an outside line. For inconvience the hotel took 15% off my room fee, and also housekeeping doesnt knock before entering they automatically use their key card and enter the room. I will not be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We were very surprise to read your comments. While we had heard of situations like your at other hotels, never had we exprienment this at our hotel. But fear not dear guest we have taken the proper steps to put a stop to such calls. Our night audit department has being re-trained on transfering calls. We are 100% confident that this will not happen again. Thank you for your feed back and rest assure that we are addressing this issue as a serious matter. Thank you.
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here with our dog while we visited family in North Birmingham. The first room we were given was absolutely huge. It was clean and the decor was nice. I really liked it. I noticed a ladybug crawling across the wall but that didn't bother me since I've always heard that's good luck. However, after noticing the one ladybug I noticed about 2 dozen more crawling around the top of the walls and ceiling. That may have been a lot of good luck but I didn't really want to sleep in a room with that many bugs. After telling the front desk, we were immediately moved to a different room. The new room was just as nice only smaller without the ladybugs. I don't have anything bad to say about this hotel. The bed was comfortable. They had really good coffee in the lobby for breakfast. There was even a choice of half and half, skim milk, or the little things of liquid creamer for the coffee. Food wise they offered biscuits, Canadian bacon, scrambled eggs, cinnamon rolls, muffins, waffles and english muffins. If we ever stay in a hotel in Birmingham again we will choose this one. And most likely, I will always look into staying at Holiday Inn Express whenever we stay in a hotel now.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
StaySmrtIrndale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback....Yes...we do have some lady bugs in our hotel...however, in Birmngham they are grown for agricultural purposes so you will find them in most hotels, homes, offices, etc. We make every effort to assure that all rooms are clean and lady bug free, however, the little suckers sometimes come in after we inspected the rooms. But fear not, lady bugs are GOOD LUCK!! seriously...it is against birmngham code to kill Lady Bugs and who would want to kill GOOD Luck..right....but again thanks for your feedback and we will make sure to be more diligent. Also, we are happy to have met your expectations...see you next time...
Soddy Daisy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have stayed here 3 or 4 times and the staff is one of the friendliest I have ever meet. They are very nice and professional. I loved just talking with them and they had everything in order and had my priority gift ready when I arrived. I do not know all of the names but Lacresha was so friendly and outgoing. She is great. The room is standard HI express. It was clean and everything worked and I did not have any problems. The morning breakfast was ok and they ever have a guest Hospitality night on Wednesdays. Good deal there. All in all a great stay and the entire staff made the trip very pleasant. .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
StaySmrtIrndale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We love our guest and strive to provide the best service possible. We will continue improving everyday and hope to succeed with everybody. Thank you and we hope to see you back at our property.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Irondale, Alabama from 9-29-12 to 10-1-12. The overall cleanliness was excellent and the staff was very friendly however, the beds are Hard and uncomfortable and I didn't sleep well. We stayed three nights and each day I was miserable. I wanted to drink coffee down in the breakfast room but it was so nasty I had to pour it out and go to McDonald's for a cup. Last year we stayed at the Hampton inn next door. There the beds were comfortable and the coffee was great.

• Stayed September 2012
StaySmrtIrndale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback...we are happy that you stayed with us and the you enjoyed your stay, I am sorry that you did not like our beds and the the coffee was not up to par. We are actively working on improving both our FF&E and breakfast products. We hope that you will visit us again.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express-Irondale with 12 fellow church members during our visit for the GROW Leadership Conference. I can't say enough about the Wonderful Staff such a delight. The rooms were clean and the overall appearance of the hotel was A+. Not to mention the great location in regards to the Church of the Highlands. Great Conference and Great Experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
StaySmrtIrndale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, it is truly invaluable. We are working everyday to give the service that our guest deserve and it makes me very happy that we met your expectations. Thanks you again and please come see us soon. Have a fantastic week!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!