“Wonderful Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Monroe, LA
“Wonderful Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

I had booked a room online for one night and when I arrived to check in, I had been upgraded to a suite w/ free breakfastand a gift certificate for the restaurant. The room was very clean, plenty of towels, etc. When my friends arrived, we were allowed to keep the same room for another night and were allowed to cancel their reservations & stay with me in the larger room.
The staff was very friendly and helpful! This hotel is in a very good location and is directly across the street from the Von Braun Center. We were able to walk over to the concert we were attending.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Huntsville and I will use them again if I'm ever in Huntsville!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Middle Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

I have stayed here many times. This was a Hilton and the only hotel in the area (downtown) until the New finer Embassy Suites came in. It is now a Holiday Inn and they have refurbished recently and it is still a very good value. Since they have so many rooms and are the only ones in the area, you can almost always get it on Priceline for about $45 if you select downtown Huntsville. (You always take a risk on Priceline.) WiFi internet was easy and free. Plenty of great parking.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
syracuse ne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

I had previously stayed at the Embassy which is a newer downtown hotel but chose the Holiday Inn on this trip because I booked late and Embassy was full. I've experienced both hotels and next time I'll come back to the Holiday Inn. The Embassy was newer and the staff was ok but at the Holiday Inn I found the staff to be friendly. It seemed like everybody was in a good mood and the atmosphere was just more comfortable. The hotel is older but there's been some recent updating and the rooms are clean and in good shape. I also saved about $ 30.00 on the rate. I found it a great buy for the money.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

I was definitely underwhelmed by the Holiday Inn in Huntsville, especially compared to some of the nicer holiday inns I've stayed at on business. The service is average but somewhat unresponsive. More unfortunate, the rooms are definitely outdated and showing it: The ceiling has spots, paint is chipped off the wall, the shower and sink area has cracks, and the solid metal room doors don't seem to fit the door frames fully, so significant light seeps in through the cracks at night. The heater/ air conditioner is probably as old as I am, and you can tell by the noises it makes. The beds are pretty comfortable, but the pillows are extremely poofy, so if you're a side sleeper, you're neck is cranked up at an odd angle. All Holiday Inns seem to have a "pillow menu" nowadays, but when I called to ask for a different sized pillow, the hotel didn't have any, and I was informed that they were on order.

All in all, if I paid more than $45-50 for this hotel, I wouldn't feel like I was getting my money's worth.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
nikral, General Manager at Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown, responded to this review, February 11, 2010
Please note that reviews prior to April of 2009 do not reflect current quality of hotel staff or facility as significant physical and staffing improvements have been made since that time as evidenced by the reviews prior and following this time frame.
Elyria, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

The hotel was clean but in need of updating. No microwave or refrig. in the room. The bed was comfortable and bathroom clean.
The bathroom had a toy coffee maker with coffee to brew 4 cups but accouterments for 2 cups only

My biggest negative was the dogs barking . My husband and I had a room with a dog across the hall. The little dog who yips instead of barking. The woman left the room often so the dog was barking constantly. There was another less noisy dog a few doors down the hall. I ran into dogs on another floor also.
I love dogs and would probably travel with it if I needed to do so.

That said, why doesn't the hotel place all customers with dogs on the same floor or the end of a floor, as far away from other guests as possible.

Stayed September 2008
birmingham, al
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2008

Room was very clean. Bed was very comfortable. Shower was great. Staff appears not to have changed since the 11/10/07 review.
First of all, DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 1123. We all groan when we get stuck in the room across from the vending and ice machine, but usually it turns out not to be as loud as we expect.

IT IS AT THIS HOTEL. The machines hummed very loudly 5 feet away from our door, and of course then there's crashing noises of the soda and ice dispensation ALL NIGHT LONG. So many times I hit that sweet spot right before drifting off to sleep...CRASH!! ugh

Second, our toilet would run loudly at odd intervals. Appears to have been caulked quite a bit at its base. Known problems?

Third, the darn alarm went off at 6:30 on a Saturday morning.

But what really upset us was the indifference and rudeness of the staff, especially after seeing the placard in the room emphasizing the importance placed upon our happiness.
We told the desk clerk of the problems when we were checking out. She giggled, said sorry, and handed us our bill. A young man standing behind her smirked and said, "That room's been across from the vending machines for 30 years."
And that's all we got. We weren't expecting any freebies--just some empathy.
It left a bad taste in our mouths. We won't be going back. Our problems could be called inconsequential (though it didn't help that we were supposed to be sightseeing the next day but were too sleepy to carry through with all our plans). But what would the hotel do if we had greater problems?
I like to know that the place I am entrusting with my property and myself when I am sleeping cares just a little.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Lack of caring for customers. It's not funny to stay up all night when you're trying to sleep.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

My stay at this hotel was only one of many hotels in the Huntsville area during the past year. It is in a great location, but in desparate need of updating. Formerly a Hilton, it does show some signs of class, but just too dated to matter. I stayed in a non-smoking suite during my visit, and the room was anything but. They brought in some kind of machine that was suppose to take the smoke smell out. It never did, on top of me having to leave my room while this machine was running. Very inconvenient. The shower was lukewarm at best. Brrrrrr!!!! The staff was friendly, and tried to be accomodating. Next stay in downtown will be at the Embassy, but register in advance as it seems to book quickly. Especially if you want a king bed.

• Liked — convenience
  • Disliked — Are you sure it was a non-smoking room???
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown? Share your experiences!