“Good location, terrible everything else...” 1 of 5 stars

Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown
401 Williams Ave, Huntsville, AL 35801 (Formerly Hilton)   |
Ranked #28 of 53 hotels in Huntsville
Denver, Colorado
“Good location, terrible everything else...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We requested on early check-in and arrived at 1:00 PM. The lobby was packed with people waiting. They weren't allowing anyone to check in before 3:00. We lined up at 2:45 and were about the 8th people in line. It was 3:50 before we got in despite 3 people working at the desk. They said it was from antiquated systems - they weren't down, just slow. As in 15 minutes to check in every room. Top that off with a bad attitude and the stay did not start off well. The rooms were what I expect at a Holiday Inn - 2 star quality. The room had hard mattress, little outdated, and very basic amenities.

Here's what put me over the edge. I called the front desk for extra towels at 8:00 PM and was told they were all in the housekeeping closet and they wouldn't be available until 8:00 AM...12 hours later. We were supposed to get free breakfast, and the lady at the front desk wouldn't give me a voucher because she was convinced she gave me one the night before.

It sounds like the hotel had never been busy before. They were completely unprepared to be booked despite being across the street from a conference center. I would NEVER stay here again. I would rather drive and find parking than deal with that level of incompetence.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Truthfully, I would stay here again. Yes, the Embassy Suites next door is nicer - but the price difference is not worth it for my needs. The Holiday Inn is tired - broken tiles, stained floors, but it was, for the most part, fine. My chief complaint: 2 mornings out of 3, they did not service my room. The trash was not removed, bed not made, bathroom towels not replaced/cleaned. I had to call the front desk and have towels delivered late in the evening - TWICE!. After the second incident, I went to the desk to inquire on the situation. I received an apology and assurance it would not happen again. There was no offer of any sort of compensation and I didn't ask - but a complimentary drink at the bar would have been a nice gesture.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here 1 night en route Heathrow with Titan Tour. Really enjoyed this hotel. Clean & tidy with good staff and good food. We had breakfast included and it was fine. Not the best southern breakfast we had in the week but OK.
Hotel seems in better condition than the Holiday Inn select in Memphis but the aircon was a killer! Had to turn it off during the night-too noisy.
Location though was excellent with views and access across the road to a really superb park.
Local folks were turning up after dark with picnics !! Good walking access to downtown when you understand the route and have time. A really clean city and would like to have stayed longer to appreciate it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn in downtown Huntsville on September 14, 2012. I had a very pleasant stay. My room was spacious, clean, and quiet. The bed was very comfortable, and the hotel's location in downtown Huntsville came at a reasonable price of under a hundred dollars. The hotel provided a washer and dryer with no extra charge for self - service laundry. I did not eat dinner here, but the breakfast buffet was fast and convenient. I had a lot of luggage that I did not want to leave in my station wagon, but the hotel had several luggage carts available, so this did not turn out to be a problem. For those of you who enjoy fine dining, a Ruth's Chris Steak House is within walking distance across the street. An impressive number of celebrities have stayed at this hotel, which used to be a Hilton. They include Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Tina Turner, and other notables whose photographs line the walls on the ground floor adjacent to the lobby. The hotel also allows guests to check out at twelve o'clock without a hassle. I would definitely stay here again the next time I find myself in the Huntsville area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Metro DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

As with many Holiday Inns, this one is an older property and it looks mildly tired. However, the room was clean and of an adequate size. If you're going to spend any time in your room working, don't expect a lot workspace. And avoid the restaurant.

That said, staff was pleasant and the rate was reasonable. But i would stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was a good value, solid hotel. I had to wait >30 minutes for a ride to HI from the airport, but getting a ride back was almost instantaneous, and free is hard to beat. Staff were friendly and efficient. Fitness room was a cut above the business-chain standard, with dumbbells and several weight machines available in addition to modern cardio equipment. [The second morning, I went for a jog in the park across the street, which was a nice change from windowless hotel gyms.] Business center was also clean and modern. Only major critique: breakfast at Lofton's was expensive and heavy, and my co-worker found a bug in her food. The second morning, though, I did much better at the in-lobby Starbucks. A shuttle driver also offered us a ride to our business meeting and then got lost/caused delay, but that wasn't 100% his fault. If work requires another visit to Huntsville, I'll definitely choose this property again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

On August 25th, I checked out at the Holiday Inn downtown at noon and hours later realized I had neglected to iron my clothes for a wedding in the evening. I went to the hotel and talked with Bonita and Quince who were very helpful and kind to my silly mistake. In addition, our toilet stopped working in the middle of the night and a helpful maintenance worker gladly came to fix the issue. The entire staff from room service to maintenance appeared happy and seemed to enjoy serving the clientale. I would happily suggest this hotel to anyone staying in Hutsville based on their staff's treatment of clients. The hotel is not pretty, in fact it's hideous compared to the others around, but the service outweighed any I've received in my years of visiting hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown? Share your experiences!