“lovely old hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown

You added Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Williams Ave, Huntsville, AL 35801 (Formerly Hilton)   |
Ranked #28 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Quezon City
“lovely old hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

This place gives me the feeling that it is already an old hotel which makes it quite nice to see how well maintained it is. They have a lovely breakfast serving and helpful staff ready to assist when needed. I noticed though that their shower room water tub knob was just dripping continuously and wasting a lot of water. Informed the desk about it but was informed that it will take them a longer time to fix due to parts needed. I think in those cases, the hotel needs to have the ability to turn off water at a per room basis as it is depressing to see that amount of water getting wasted.

Room Tip: Just make sure you have a view and enjoy it.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Spent just one night but no complaints. Evening meal was fine (if slightly overdone), bar service a bit slow at first but the guy was on his own and coping with quite a rush, bed and room were really comfortable and the complimentary buffet breakfast was better than OK although strangely everything was free except fruit juice!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I’ll premise this like many of my reviews, what I paid for and what we got. We’ve stayed in $400 a night hotels and $8 a night hotels around the world. This one we paid $150 a night and all in all is was a nice hotel. The things we had a problem with were minor, but we expected more from HI. The toilet took 15 to 20 minutes to fill the tank after flushing. Which is not a huge problem, but really? The sink was not sealed all the way to the granite so if you were washing your hands and splashed it to the top of the sink, it would flood under the sink. The other issue was the internet. My wife and I use the internet a significant amount when we’re on the road and the internet here was about .15 to .25 MBS. Most hotels have .5 to .75. It was tough to do basic things. Once again, not a huge thing, but for $150 a night, we expected more. On the plus side, the rooms were very nice, new furnishings; the breakfast was a nice sit down, hot steam trays and the staff friendly. It was a short walk to the BBQ cook off festival, and right by big spring park.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Great location for convention center, great fried chicken salad.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

As a priority club member, I was very satisfied. On arrival the 14th, I was warmly welcomed and acknowledged as a top club member including a free breakfast buffet for myself and my husband.

We went in the wrong door to get to our room but a staff member was very helpful in getting us there. The room was very roomy including a flat screen tv, mini fridge and microwave. This was a smoking room (per our request) but didn't carry the smell of stale cigarettes so this being said, yes, the cleaning staff does an excellent job with an exception, the bathroom.

The hotel offers a lounge/restaurant but beware, the drink prices are a bit steep. Staff there likewise is very friendly and welcoming. My husband likes a late night snack (the restaurant closes at 11) and so we called room service. They were having a really busy night and they recommended us to pick it up, which we appreciated, because they were short staffed. I believe the person who answered the phone knew who we were (from being in the lounge) and that is why it was suggested to pick it up. I can only say one thing about the food, EXCELLENT! Not to mention, reasonably priced.

We slept GREAT! Bed(s) were very comfortable and offered plenty of pillows. Internet service offered a good signal and no difficulty accessing. I did have a problem with the heating (I thought). Front desk sent a maintenance man he was there within a minute and here it was me not reading it correctly (my husband won't touch them) stupid as that was, the guy was super about it.

The bathroom was a bit crampy maybe because of the way the door opened pretty much into the toilet. It could have been a little cleaner (around the toilet), shower pressure was good but drainage was not, it was pretty bad.

The service was a tad slow at breakfast (to get seated) but no problem, it was a great buffet with enough to choose from. Note, some of the breakfast staff needs to be a little nicer to their co-workers. The person who sat us and cleaning the tables off as well, was a bit over-whelmed but God Bless him for the smile that remained on his face.

Overall, clean outside with adequate parking. Clean inside (even though it is an older building)with plenty of amenities. You definitely get your moneys worth here!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Hotel is a little dated. Check in was quick and painless. Worst thing for me was I had trouble with the Internet while staying here. I basically did not even have it avail for the most part. I called the front desk and brought it to there attention and even talked with tech support and nothing was fixed for my duration of 1 week here. Being here for business it was important for me to have the access. The rooms were fine...one exception was hardly no outlets. You know you are in an old property when you have maybe 1 or available for you. If I was here with my family there would have been a problem. Your basic hotel room. Food was ok for breakfast. I think overall if I would have a choice to stay here again I would not.

Room Tip: Ask about the internet access location before your room assignment.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
PaulandTeddie,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. The WiFi was giving many of our guest’s issues and I'm grateful you brought this to our attention. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Nokesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I booked the room through Hotwire for a super decent rate. I have stayed here before on business and it was what I expected from before.

The rooms have a chair, work desk and fridge/microwave combo and are about what you'd expect. The property is mostly okay, though is obviously old and in some places run down. But the location is the kicker. It is centrally located and convenient to most Huntsville attractions. The staff is friendly and serves well.

Overall it was a good experience and would recommend to others - especially at a decent rate.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown? Share your experiences!