“Hidden Gem but AVOID bar & seafood!” 5 of 5 stars

Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown
401 Williams Ave, Huntsville, AL 35801 (Formerly Hilton)   |
Ranked #28 of 53 hotels in Huntsville
New Orleans
“Hidden Gem but AVOID bar & seafood!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011 via mobile

Great room service, rates, rooms, gym, employees, but... you would have thought the bar tender would have given us a "heads up", $12 for an Absolut dirty martini and the seafood platter was pre frozen not fresh. Breakfast & lunch great, go out for dinner.

• Stayed August 2011

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Natchez, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

While the hotel could benefit from a renovation, the service was some of the best I have every experienced. Ms. Mallory, a member of the front desk staff, was outstanding. By my second day the staff greeted me by name – something I noticed they did for all guests. The location, right on the edge of the historic district, is ideal – I walked to my restaurant meeting and to the local museums. The breakfast, which was included with my room, offered a selection of hot and cold items. There is a large parking lot on the side of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Mobile, AL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I've stayed at this place several times, starting when it was still a Hilton years ago. Frankly, I'm surprised the Holiday Inn will allow them to fly the corporate flag. This hotel is a shadow of its former self. Checking in, the person identified as the Supervisor was rude and dismissive to my requests. He literally said that they hotel was full & busy and honoring room preference requests was, and I quote, "A hassle". Really? A hassle? I'm a Gold PC member, at least be polite when you tell me to go to get lost.

Beyond that: Restaurant- I had one dinner at the restaurant. Food was pretty good and the service was very good. Fitness Room: Worthy of a bio-hazard team to get it clean. The equipment was covered with multiple levels of sweat and grime. I don't think they have seen anyone from housekeeping in weeks (though there was plenty of towels at least). The water cooler was empty. Might be worthy of a bio-hazard team to get it clean. Gross.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Rogersville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

First time staying at this hotel. Overall had a great stay. Rooms were clean and roomy. Front desk very pleasant and helpful. Swimming pool really nice. Stayed here for 2 nites and it was rite across the street from a park. Loved the park!! Also restaurants were a short drive away. Had free breakfast that was from a buffet at the on location motel-- very good. My only complaint was that on the hotels website it said nightly comp. free drinks. I called the hotel to see what time this takes place they told me 6pm to 9pm. Once getting to our room i read a sign that says it does not have comp. on Fri. and Sat. (the 2 nites we stayed) I am REALLY unset at this cause at a 100 dollars a nite (i even had a discount) i wanted my free drink! in which i could have stayed across the street at Ebassy suites and could have gotten. I plan to write them and complain that they should make this clear that they do not have this on weekends. But besides this it was a very lovely stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Asheville NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Spent Memorial Day weekend there. Most accommodating. Room clean, staff very courteous. Matthew did a great job answering questions and giving directions. Provided a shuttle service to restaurants. Were helpful when we needed a late checkout.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Northwest Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

Our travel to Huntsville as part of the Disaster Relief with the American Red Cross due to the numerous tornados that hit Alabama. The staff were AMAZING at taking care of all of our disaster relief workers. I even dropped money in the lobby area and Matt made sure that it was kept safe until I actually found out that the money had been found and claimed it at the front desk!! Each one of the front desk staff greated each of us daily by name as we came anywhere near the front. They even did their very best for us during a completely sold out time span (prior reservations). The front desk crews also made sure we were able to locate anything we might need (ie: gas staions, various food optoins, etc.)

The business center allowed each of us to not only complete some of our work communications, but also allowed us to keep in contact with co-workers and family at home.

Restuarant staff was very accommodating. Deanne was TERRIFIC!!! Our tables NEVER wanted for ANYTHING....even things we had not thought of yet!! :)

All in all, if I ever travel back to the Huntsville area, I would definately stay here again!!! Everyone made each of us welcome as if we were part of their own family.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Heidelberg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I stayed here vs. the brand-new Embassy Suites just across the street, because the Embassy Suites was sold out. Actually most of the hotels were sold out, but this one was not for some reason. Since it offered a special rate with breakfast I took it.

The Positives:
A decent and free and fast internet connection. A microwave and fridge. A beautiful flat screen TV. Brand-new (free) front-load washer and dryers near the lobby. It was good to actually get laundry clean vs. the old-style wash machines. Most importantly, decent pillows. I generally slept well, and the bed was comfortable. The shower was always hot with good water pressure.
Breakfast was a positive...but only because I'm a club member and my rate allowed me to use the Executive Lounge's breakfast buffet, which had orange juice and bagels. The normal breakfast is under the negative section of this review. There was a decent cocktail reception at night, with free drinks and snacks. Unfortunately, I missed out one night because I arrived an hour into it and all the food was gone. Frankly, if they offer the reception, they should keep it going during the designated hours and not just run out of food. The guy running the Executive Lounge was great. Really friendly and helpful. Free and ample parking, with quick access to the highway is also a plus.

Neutral:
Room was clean enough at first glance, but the whole hotel could use a serious design update, if not a renovation. The front desk was in the newer Holiday Inn design, but was already showing its age. The rooms had the newer Holiday Inn design sheets too, but the room was still old. Staff wasn't unfriendly, but they never greeted people entering the hotel. Even when you walked up to the desk, you had to get their attention...especially if they were in a conversation with each other. Front doors broke often.

The negatives: Where to start? A cold front came through Huntsville and, it would seem, right through my hotel room. I froze my butt off to the point where I had to buy a portable heater to stay warm. I'm used to the cold, so this isn't an exaggeration. The room automatically shuts off the heat after you leave, so it was always cold when I arrived back from work and took hours to heat up again. The walls have no insulation, and I think the windows were only single pane as they were cold and you could feel the cold air blowing in from outside. I can only imagine that the opposite is true during the Summer with the heat. I would guess that this hotel is bleeding its profits out via heating and cooling costs even with their auto-shutoff.

My bathroom floor was even colder than the road outside the hotel. I'm guessing the room below wasn't occupied..and since there is no (or inadequate) insulation, my bathroom froze. Fortunately there were plenty of towels to put on the floor so my feet would not freeze.

Coffee maker was in the bathroom..yuck. I thought about that ever time I flushed the toilet. Power outlets were scarce in the room. I had to unplug the microwave to charge my laptop. My room didn't have a closet, just a cheap wire rack in corner cubbyhole. Kinda odd and a minus point for cheap and tacky. Safe didn't work (totally broken)

The restaurant and breakfast....if you love grits, eggs and biscuits every day, then you'd love the included breakfast (depending on rate). However, you can only wash it down with tap water or coffee. Juice isn't included. My voucher stated that the breakfast didn't include Orange Juice....talk about cheap and tacky. Pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, bagels...all extra cost. The lack of orange juice was what really steamed me though. A wait-staff was available to get you coffee, but frankly I could have done without them (and forking out a tip) since it was a buffet. Thankfully the Executive Lounge's breakfast buffet saved me from this depressing breakfast area.

Bottom line: If you are used to Embassy Suites or better, you will be disappointed. For a quick business stay, it was fine, but the value is only good if you get a special rate (Fed/State Gov, Contractor).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown? Share your experiences!