“Reliably good.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
“Reliably good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2014 NEW

I stick to basics here so I'm never disappointed. Service is always competent and atmosphere is relaxing. Not for self-appointed foodies, which is part of the appeal for me.

• Visited November 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Meridianville, Alabama
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2014 via mobile

The hot German potato salad, honey pecan chicken schnitzel, warm bread, house salad with house made ranch are my favorites. My husband loves the pork yaeger schnitzel. Dinner is pricey but portions are large and it's enough to share. We usually visit at lunch. Iced tea is good.

Visited December 2014
“Expensivr”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2014

This place is way overpriced. I could get a steak for $19 versus a pig patty. I lived in Germany so I know how German food can be. It was not bad but I believe they think they are better then they are as do the many people that eat there.

Find another option. They did have some good German Bock beer.....

• Visited December 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Huntsville, Alabama
“A Taste of Germany”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2014

Had a very pleasurable experience and the food was good. Service was not bad and overall it was a great evening to enjoy some good German food. If you have lived in Germany then it may not be up to the standards you are used to but this place is definitely one of the better German restaurants I have been to in the states and believe it or not better than some in Germany itself. I recommend it for everyone to enjoy.

The reason I rated the service as not bad versus good or great is for two reasons. First there was a lady at the front who was not dressed like the waitresses but at the register. When I inquired about my call ahead reservation she was a little curt and said to wait for the hostess to come back. I wasn't the only one taken aback by that as the rest of my party was like wow! She may have been the manager which makes it a little more problematic. The second reason was that the waitresses work by committe which I thought was great and fine but some couldn't handle doing multiple things but I may be nitpicking as the place was packed and very busy. But I say this only because my friend asked for another beer when she when she had the chance and she looked at him said can you wait on ordering another beer until I am done serving the food in a not quite so stern voice. Again maybe a product of how busy it was or the manager setting the tone for the staff.

One last thing I do want to mention is that they do take call ahead reservations that will get you to the top of the list when you arrive. There may not be a table ready but you are at the top of the list and they made that clear when calling ahead so I thought that was great they did that.

• Visited December 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Huntsville, Alabama
“Great Dining Choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

Whether it is lunch or dinner -- I always enjoy the food here! The food is authentic and the service is great! Both the lunch and dinner portions are hearty by any standards. My only problem with Ol' Heidelberg is that I usually eat so much, I don't have room for the delectable desserts....but I've started getting the dessert "to go!" I keep going back over and over!

• Visited November 2014