“So full. ...” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Seoul, South Korea
“So full. ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Decided to see why all the fuss over German food in northern Alabama. Ended up at the ol Heidelberg and it was the best German food I've had outside of Germany. We didn't do the chicken dance or prost on the tables, it was all about the food.

I knew I'd only have one chance to eat here so I went for the sampler. Snitzle, cordon blue, and a brat on one playe. It was delicious! !!!!!

88% Recommend
Brownsboro, Alabama
“Great Schnizel and German food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I have always ordered wiener schnitzel at many German restaurants and find that Ol' Heidelberg's is one of the best. I also always get the sweet red cabbage and this was out standing. Off a busy highway. this restaurant is in a shopping center next to a Mexican place. It can be seen from the highway (university drive) but must be accessed by side roads. Dinners are on the expensive side, but good quality and the décor is very German. Service was very good, however I was there in the early evening before 5 pm. A must if you like German food.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gardendale, Alabama
“A Must.......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

After a visit with a co-worker in 1990 have been driving the 100 miles from Birmingham at least once a month for lunch or dinner. Wife and I order the same thing every time (chicken schnizel gordon blue and black forest ham) and then get something different to go. Sausage plater is a good meal for two.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Louisville, Ohio
“Awesome German Sampler!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I ordered the German Sampler at Ol’Heidelberg. It came with wiener schnitzel, chicken cordon bleu schnitzel, a sausage of some type, sauerkraut, red cabbage, and German potato salad. I have been to a couple different German restaurants and this one of the best. Both schnitzels were very tender and tasty, possibly the best I have eaten. The sausage had a nice smoky flavor, and the sauerkraut was tasty.
I like red cabbage with vinegar alone, or with a small amount of sugar. Unfortunately, Ol’Heidelberg put a LARGE AMOUNT of sugar in their red cabbage. On the same note, there were a bit too many onions in the German potato salad. Both were ok for the meal, but I have had better sides at other restaurants.
Overall it was a great dinner and if I return to the area, Ol’Heidelberg will be on my list to visit again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
iowa city, ia
“Very good.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My daughter and I visited on the late afternoon of Monday, March 17th. We were greeted quickly and seated in no time at all. There were several customers at that early hour. Our server was great from start to finish. It was an overcast day, so I am guessing that may have added to my complaint to my daughter that the restaurant seemed way too dark. Maybe it is just me getting old, but I was having a devil of a time trying to read the menu in the darkness of the restaurant. I ordered the Hungarian Schnitzel (chicken) along with the cold German Potato Salad and Cucumber salad. My daughter had the Veal Schnitzel Cordon Bleu. With Fried potatoes and slaw. My Hungarian Schnitzel was very good. The German Potato Salad was also very good. The Cucumber salad was good, but I thought kind of boring. It was missing something.... My daughter loved her Veal Schnitzel Cordon Bleu, along with her sides. The portions were large and the price seemed too low to be true. A wonderful surprise. Most meals like this would have cost nearly double in most restaurants. The restaurant is in what I would call a small "strip mall". My GPS got us to the area, then we needed to just open our eyes to find the name of the restaurant above the business in the mall. I would absolutely stop here again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere