“Never disappointed” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Birmingham, Alabama
“Never disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We are only able to visit Ol' Heidelberg occasionally since we do not live in Huntsville, but it is always on the agenda when we visit the area. We stopped by for Saturday lunch this past weekend, and as always, it was tasty. We started off with a great cold beer. (After visiting Munich last year for Oktoberfest, this was a must.) For lunch, I ordered the wiener schnitzel, (still one of my favorites) and my husband ordered the black forest schnitzel. Both dishes were perfect. We enjoyed the warm potato salad and the slaw on the side. We had to get dessert, and of course it was great, too. I had the apple strudel, and my husband had the dutch apple cheesecake.
If you are in the area and want some fantastic German food, don't miss Ol' Heidelberg.

• Visited December 2012

Huntsville, Alabama
“Excellent, Pure and Simple!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I've been a lover of German food since visiting the Festhaus at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Let me tell you, that place has NOTHING on Ol' Heidelberg! OH is light years above any German food: "home cooked," Oktoberfest, or not, that I've ever tasted. The place is very quaint, not necessarily "hole in the wall" but in a shopping center, and the inside looks to be modeled after a 1970s-80s German-style bed and breakfast. It was simply beautiful! The servers wear traditional German dress and are very nice and polite, even when they're busy. This is a hidden gem, but the locals know about it, so it can get crowded sometimes. Portion sizes were large and just wonderful! The dessert case beckons to you as you leave, so you just have to try some. Cakes were out of this world! I absolutely will be back!

• Visited October 2012
Decatur, Alabama
“Gypsy Schnitzel is Sensational!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have been to Ol' Heidelberg many times over the years and I always love it. So, when my husband, who is of German descent, wanted to go there for his birthday, it was fine with me!

Ol' Heidelberg has been in business since 1972 and in the current location since the late 80's. There is a sister restaurant called Cafe Berlin on Airport Road in Huntsville too. Since I don't get to eat there often, I always order the same dish...the gypsy schnitzel. I know I should try something else but I love the dish so much (it is among my all-time favorite dishes) that I can't bring myself to order anything else. The gypsy schnitzel is pork loin sauteed with grilled onions, peppers and mushrooms. It is smothered in a delicious cream sauce..the sauce is what makes the dish. My husband ordered the honey pecan crusted chicken schnitzel. I tried it and it was pretty good but not like the gypsy! We both ordered the pan fried potatoes and red cabbage. You can get German potato salad, salad or cucumber salad too. The side dishes we chose never disappoint. I don't know what they put in the red cabbage dish but it is simple yet delicious.

Now for desserts... you will see the dessert case when you walk into the front door of the old German style decorated restaurant. This is a brilliant idea because once you see them, you will want dessert! We opted for the Chantilly strawberry cake and shared it. It had several thin layers of sponge cake layered with strawberry cream filling and chocolate swirled over it. It was light and delicious, just what we were looking for. Ol' Heidelberg makes the apple strudel in house and ships in the other desserts from an Atlanta bakery. I am going to try the apple strudel next time.

The service is always good here and at the smaller Cafe Berlin too. Give it a try if you like German food!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wonderland, United States
“Vunderbar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

What a great German Restaurant, to tell you how good Ole' Hidelberg is, native Germans were shocked and extremely happy at how good and authentic the food was. My grandmothers family is from Germany and my father was stationed in West Germany during the mid 1970s, and so my family had a great love of German food. We live about an hour from Huntsville so ever trip to Huntsville was ended with a wonderful meal at Ole' Hidelberg. I have fond childhood memories there and I love the atmosphere! Anyone who likes German food and is looking for a fun and tasty experience should definitely head to Ole' Hidelberg!

• Visited January 2012
memphis,tn
“Great Traditional German Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

This is a great place to get traditional German comfort food! The atmosphere is also very traditional (I'm guessing they haven't changed much since opening in the seventies.) My husband and I both ordered schnitzel dishes. I had the chicken and he got a sampler platter which included the veal, chicken cordon bleu and sausage. We were way too full to order dessert, but their pies in the display case looked delicious! We definitely recommend skipping all the chains and heading here while you are visiting Huntsville.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere