“Pleasantly surprised” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Huntsville, Alabama USA
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We went to The Tavern at Bridgestreet for lunch recently and was pleasantly surprised. As the third restaurant to inhabit this location, I was concerned that this corner in Bridge Street was cursed.

As we entered we were warmly welcomed by several members of the staff. The restaurant was spacious, but had relatively few patrons dining. With such a large space and staff, but with relatively few diners, I was immediately concerned about the chances for this restaurant's survival.

Our waiter was prompt and very friendly, answering all questions quickly and professionally. We noticed that they have an "express" lunch menu that includes several items that each include a drink and are reasonably priced.

I selected the chicken salad club sandwich with fries. The meal came out quickly and was simply delicious. The chicken salad was simple and was full of white meat chicken chunks. The bacon and lettuce were crispy, and the tomatoes were fresh and ripe. The shoestring fries were hot and crispy and were slightly seasoned a perfect amount.

The menu looked good and I hope to make it back soon to try one of their dinner entrees. I wish this establishment the best of luck and hope it survives!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Huntsville, Alabama
“Wonderful peach cobbler & music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Urbanspoon says 90% like it. $15-$25 per entree. Allow me to rave about dessert first. The peach cobbler special was wonderful. It came in a large bowl, and had a ball of ice cream on top that my wife said was the largest scoop of ice cream that she had ever seen. (It was almost as big as my fist.) We shared this dessert. The manager says that they make everything there, that their food doesn't come ready-made in a carton or can. Next, I'll rave about the music. The music was much more to my taste than the very annoying Mississippi jazz and Memphis blues mix that the BBQ place here previously played. Today's music was Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc. The manager said it was the "Rat Pack" satellite radio channel. We came here on a Sunday morning after church. We were greeted immediately by a young hostess, who seated us without a wait. Although the name of the place is Tavern, I didn't see a bar on the way to our table. My wife said she could see it from where she was sitting -- it was by the mall-side window. Our waiter, Timm, was very good. All our service was prompt. My wife and I each ordered a cup of their soup of the day, a loaded potato soup. It was loaded, including a lot of what looked to be bacon bits. Even so, the soup didn't seem to have much flavor. We split a tilapia fish lunch. The tilapia was cooked nice and delicately. Again, there seemed to be a very little seafood seasoning, but too much salt. I suppose I should be grateful that they didn't mess it up otherwise. The sides were pod peas which may have been as good as Green Giant's, and wild rice that may have been as good as Uncle Ben's. The rice may have had a dash of fish sauce in it, also. For this lunch, with a lemonade and a coke, we spent a total of $34.88. If we had it to do over, we'd definitely still order the peach cobbler, but I'd try a different soup and entree.

• Visited June 2012