“Love this botanical garden!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Gardens
Attraction Details
Chattanooga, Tennessee
91 attraction reviews
“Love this botanical garden!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I have been numerous times to the Huntsville Botanical Garden with my mother and my two twin boys. We love it! We enjoyed the tree house exhibits and the Easter event. We have been in all seasons and I think Fall or Spring is the best time to go. It gets hot there in Summer and there is a lot of walking to do because the place is spread out. One time when we went there in Summer we about got heat stroke! But the gardens are beautiful. The treehouses are fun. The children's garden is very fun for kids and very whimsical. The Easter event we attended was fun. I think the whole place is a great experience. We also love doing the drive through Christmas light display every Dec. It has become a tradition. I come all the way from Chatt Tn to and my mother comes from Valley Head, Al to attend this botanical garden. We also enjoy the scarecrows and hale bale art and hay rides in Fall when we go.

They have a small one train garden railway that operates in every season but Winter. My boys LOVE it.

Tips: Bring lots of water if you go in hot weather! Bring a wagon or good jogging stroller if you have young kids because the place is very spread out and does not always have paved walkways through certain parts of it. They have some wagons you can borrow too to drive your kids in. I recommend this Botanical Garden as a great activity for kids. We have a membership and get in free to other botanical gardens too and get discounts to the special events.

Visited April 2011

Madison, Alabama
5 attraction reviews
“Gets Better Every Year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I have been a long time member of the HBG and it truly gets better every year. I understand some of the one time visitors' comments about it being pricey but an annual membership for those that live in this area is one of the best buys around. From the spring time Butterfly House, to the Summer time water features, to the autumn Scarecrow trail culminating with a Holiday Galaxy of lights that gets bigger every year you cannot beat it. The Garden does a good job of fund raising and plowing revenues back into the Garden.

We also enjoy the special concerts and events like the Raptors that the Garden has each year.

Visited November 2011
Huntsville, Alabama
21 attraction reviews
“High priced but you can see where the money is being invested! I'm happy to pay because we are never dissatisfied!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011 via mobile

Totally worth it. Be sure to not skip this place. The treehouses are amazing, christmas lights are cute and butterfly house is extraordinary! I could visit 60 tines in a year and never tire of visiting this place!

Auburn, AL
3 attraction reviews
“Pretty Nice Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

The botanical gardens is fairly nice. The butterfly house is great. Some of the grounds could use some maintenance. The staff is very friendly. I enjoyed it, but not for the expensive admission.

Visited August 2011
Naperville, IL
8 attraction reviews
“Summer visit had some highlights, but overall just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We visited the Botanical Gardens to see the Tree house exhibit and the Children's Garden. It was incredibly hot the day we visited, so please keep that in mind as you read our review. As usual, the Children's Garden was nice, although definitely geared toward very young children (under six years old). There were a few water activities that were greatly appreciated (giant watering can that sprays water, little pond, pond with fountains). The butterfly garden was also interesting--you can put sugar water on your arm to entice a butterfly to land on you (one landed on my daughter and she was so excited!) and there are turtles to watch.

The overall gardens are just okay. The gardens are huge, so expect a lot of walking, which may or may not work well for young children. Our biggest complaint about the day was the poorly done maps and signage in the garden--it was very difficult to follow the map and find your way around. Not all of the pathways are marked on the map, and others look much bigger than they are---lots of confusion.

The tree houses were also just okay. Some of them were beautiful and creative and fun for the kids to explore, and others were pretty lame. More water elements were definitely needed for the summer!!! The water element was broken on one tree house (which we found out after calling the office from our phone), and the description of another one (Bird's Eye View) made it seem like it would have water, but did not. The fairy and garden gnome tree houses were definitely our favorites--very creative and fun.

Overall, the gardens were okay. Pros: beautiful flowers and trees to look at, Children's Garden water activities, great gift shop, butterfly house. Cons: not enough water elements overall, broken/disappointing tree houses, and terrible maps.

Visited August 2011