“Nothing memorable” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Greenville, South Carolina
“Nothing memorable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was not pleasantly surprised by this place. The food was nothing memorable and the portions were small - and not terribly warm either. The beer was not very cold, but it was tasty. Nothing like only offering the Octoberfest beers at the end of April. I guess I expected better in a town made famous by Werhner Von Braun. If you are wanting good, authentic German cuisine - keep going.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Los Lunas, New Mexico
“Ambiance better than the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

While visiting Huntsville, we decided to try Ol Heidelberg Cafe based on the reviews I read here on Tripadvisor. Walking into the cafe, we immediately liked the decor and German music. Our waitress was friendly without intruding. We ordered the Bratwurst platter and the Chicken Berlin. Unfortunately neither entree impressed us much. The chicken had so much cheese melted on it I couldn't taste much else. The sauteed onions on both the entrees were greasy. We both got the hot German potato salad with the meal; it was barely warm and very dry,not moist. For the money we spent on this meal, I wish we had gone somewhere else. This was one time that TA let me down.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
“German is not what I thought”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I always had a preconceived idea of what German food was going to be, all sauerkraut and sausage. Boy was I wrong! It's sooo good. I had the Pecan honey chicken schnitzel. The chicken was super juicy and sweet with a great crunch and the potatoes! OH MY GOD!! HEAVEN! Make sure you ask for some Ranch on the side, it's home made and delicious as a little dip for the potatoes. Save room for dessert, way to many to talk about, but soooo good.

Visited February 2013
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
“Wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

one of the best places to eat in Huntsville for any price. If you dont want a big load of heavy German food. just stop in for late desert. If there is any left, the carrot cake is AWESOME !

Visited December 2012
Columbus, Georgia, United States
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

By all accounts, this should have been a great experience; it wasn't. We waited more than 20 minutes for a table on a Saturday evening. I took this as a sign that the food was really good. It was just o.k. and certainly not worth the price we paid. My husband ordered the goulash and it was nowhere near what he experienced in Germany and it came out cold and the portion was very small for the price; I ordered the sauerbraten and you could taste the red wine vinegar. We spent two years in Heidelberg and ate at just about every restaurant. Service was slow, the manager is still using a pad and paper to take names; he had no idea when tables had been cleared -- he brought a party of six to a table that was still dirty and the customers had to stand there while the staff cleared the table. The waitresses, bless their hearts, were an unorganized mess. No computer system so our waitress had to take the time to total our check by hand. Lots of improvement is needed in this restaurant. Highly recommend some courses in restaurant management and either sending the kitchen staff to Heidelberg for a couple of weeks or hiring someone who actually knows how to cook German food. Spend your money and your time somewhere else.

• Visited February 2013