“Marginal food, submarginal service” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Huntsville, Alabama
“Marginal food, submarginal service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I've been to Shea's twice. The first time, my wife and I had the place mostly to ourselves. I liked the decor and atmosphere - it is a very nice place and the food was fine. However, the second time was 180 degrees off. It seems that the kitchen and wait staff are incapable of functioning if there are more than 10 customers in the place. My wife and I went there yesterday for breakfast - unfortunately so did a bunch of joggers promoting breast cancer awareness. The service was amazingly slow and to make it worse, our food was delivered in widely spaced drops. The only item served promptly after ordering was a cocktail. 5 minutes later, my wife's coffee arrived. 10 minutes later, my coffee arrived. 15 minutes later, my wife's breakfast was served, and 15 minutes later, my breakfast finally arrived. At that point, my wife had finished hers, mine was cold, and the event had degraded from being a pleasant meal to sampling the cold plate of huevos rancheros and then leaving in disgust. While we were waiting for our food, we noted numerous other examples on nearby tables of slow service and missing orders. Also, in both our dishes (eggs benedict, huevos ranchers), the eggs had been overpoached to where the yolks were solid, a clear indication that the dishes had been prepared and allowed to sit around before serving.
Bottom line, if they've got more than a dozen customers in the joint, run like hell.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Very Good Food......Would be Better with More Attention to Detail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Each meal I've had here has been very tasty, and I recommend the restaurant to others. Overall this place is a relaxing and enjoyable place to dine. Just a few negatives: I have ordered the Salmon BLT on three occassions, and each time the meal was delivered differently. The 1st time was wonderful and complete as stated in the menu. The 2nd time the Salmon BLT was missing "B"......can't have a BLT without the "B". The 3rd time I ordered 2 of the sandwiches. One sandwich came complete, the other had no roasted garlic aioli. So out of four sandwiches ordered, I've had to return to the counter for correction to two. 50-50 is not a good track record. The omeletes are very very good. I've had them on three occassions and the fresh fruit bowl which comes with it has differed in size each time. Paying $12 for a lunch sandwich comes with an expectation that the sandwich will include the ingredients listed in the menu, unless ordered otherwise. A little more attention to detail would result in an "excellent" rating.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Always great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Shea's Express is one of my favorite venues for social gatherings. They have a beautiful garden room that is perfect for small groups and the food and service are always first rate. It's my "go to" place when I want something done right. Wonderful atmosphere, great food, friendly service. Can't beat it.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Alabama
“I have been here 3 times ( lunch meetings) WHY do they only have one cashier no matter how busy they are!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

And this last time we went we spent 15 minutes in line waiting to pay for our food , of which I have to say is over- priced. $10 for a sandwich and tea ? . 2 of us received our ordered food incorrect. My bread my tuna was on was stale. Not impressed. I won't go back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cynthia S, Owner at Shea's Express, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
We are so sorry you had a negative experience with us. However, we have been trying to hire additional cashiers/baristas for months now and are having so much trouble finding a qualified, reliable employee! If you know anyone who needs a job from 6:30-2:30 everyday, at a very competitive pay rate, please send them our way!
Huntsville, Alabama
“Love The Food and Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The food is always great when I visit the restaurant , the catering always gets rave reviews from our staff when we serve it for breakfast! A great place for breakfast and lunch! You will love the breakfast rolls and muffins and at lunch, my favorites are the salads!! Make sure and try the Maple balsamic dressing :) YUM!!

• Visited July 2013