“Go for the food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 502 Restaurants in Huntsville
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hildegard's German Cuisine features Authentic German Cuisine.Starters,Schnitzels,Sausages,House Specialties,Sandwiches,Seafood,Soups,Salads And Home Made Desserts.Beer And Wine.Patio Dining Available.Reservations Welcome 1-256-512-9776
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Go for the food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Go for the food, not the atmosphere. Excellent food, as good as any I had in Germany. Co-worker who had lived in Germany for a few years said the same thing. We each had a different schnitzel, with potato salad and he had kraut and I had red cabbage. Not one complaint. Service was good, not obtrusive, but there when we needed something. The desserts, well, if you don't save room for a dessert, you are making a big mistake. I had German chocolate cake and my co-worker had the Black Forest cake. Huge slices! After such big amounts of food on the plates, and such huge desserts, we rolled out of there totally satisfied. If you are in Huntsville, this is a "must go" place.

Visited August 2014

“What a meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

My husband and I went here for lunch and our whole experience was fantastic. We had tried the other German restaurants in town and this was by far the best. The food rivaled what we ate in Germany while living there for three years. Great beer choices with ice cold mugs that stay cold until you empty the glass. My husbands Rueben was wonderful and my Jaeger schnitzel was perfectly prepared. We could hear them flattening the pork while we waited and we knew it would be fresh, again just like in Germany. Service was great, Dee Ann (our server) was efficient and friendly. The huge selection of desserts, all made in house, looked fantastic, but we were so full from our generous portions we just couldn't try any. We will go back....many times. We were told they are opening a second location off University Dr. this fall. We will definitely try that one as well.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very good German Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

This was the first time we ate at Hildegards. What took us so long? This is the best German food in Huntsville and I have been to all three German restaurants in town. I have to tell you it is better than the other two. The waitstaff was friendly, energetic and helpful. The beer is wonderful! The potions are plentiful! The shame of it all is that we were so full we didn't have any of the wonderful looking deserts. Next time! And we found out they have a to-go menu! Wunderbar! What took us so long to find this place? Make sure you make reservations Friday night or Saturday night. I can't wait for Octoberfest! Prost!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very filling”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have to agree with other reviewers - the decor is definitely nondescript. And way too many mirrors for a place that serves this much food on a plate! Now, the food was very good, as was the service. Our waitress described the special on the night we went - it was enough for both of us to share! But we went more standard, with variations of pork schnitzel. I opted for the spaetzle as my side - yummy - and my husband had the potato salad. We had to wait for about 30 minutes for a table (we called and asked if we needed reservations and they said not at that time. By the time we got ourselves out the door and to the restaurant, it was full), and we were near the coolers with the desserts. I swore I was going to get Black Forest Cake. Or maybe Lemon Cream. Sadly, I got to taste neither as we were so full from our meal we had no room. And we knew we were going to fall asleep as soon as we got back to our hotel so we didn't even get a piece to carry out. Maybe next time?

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Huntsville, Alabama
“Another good German food option in Huntsville”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Overall, I liked Hildegards alot and will go back again. I had read reviews claiming it was better than another local German restaurant so I took some out of towners that had also been to Germany as well as the other restaurant.

We all agreed it was very good food, portions were plentiful, the beer and wine options were ok...but, we preferred the atmophere and dark bread served at the other if it were a head to head. We went for lunch and only 1 took a "to go" box, but no one left hungry and no one had room for the awesome looking deserts. If you like German Cusine, it is definitely worth checking out.

Visited August 2014