“Real chef” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cotton Row is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 493 restaurants in Huntsville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Madison Street
Kemah, Texas, United States
“Real chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Fantanstic meal here on two trys. Everything was unique and well presented. Service was very professional but not stuffy. Great for either a date or business meal. `

Visited March 2012

83% Recommend
Huntsville, Alabama
“Maybe the best Restaurant in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

At this Place you Never can get wrong, what ever you order is fresh made. I tried different red wines and was always satisfied. The service is just as good as the food is. I heard complaines that the menu card has not this biggest fariaty in town, but for us it was good enough. Ok it pricey, but that's the reason why we only go a few times a year there. My wife and I love it!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Huntsville, Alabama
“mediocre food, wonderful setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place was recommended by locals during my visit. I reserved a table ahead of time and was wiating for our dinner. We both were very dissapointed. I had fried green tomatoes which were OK, over fried, the crust was dark which indicates on poor quality oil they used. Another local dish was spare ribs on creamy grits. Grits were very tasty but ribs were cold and dry. My husband had steak which was also overcooked. Each dish costs more then $30 and the quality was very mediocre. I would not recommend this place to anyone- food is overpriced and fast food quality. This place is owned by Chef Jimmy Bread, I bet he is not the one who cooks daily there. On a positive note- the place has a wonderful setting and very attentive stuff.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
travelling
“Cotton Row - go for food, stay for dessert!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Cool little restaurant in a neat setting in downtown Huntsville Al, owned by Chef Jimmy Beard. CR has an 'open' side that opens to the street and provides a nice warm breeze throughout the restaurant and good light. There is a downstairs eating area that was absolutely cool, and chic, and if you have a party of about 10-16 I'd reserving the 'wine cellar'. Speaking of wines, they had an extensive list, and the Chef's wife is the sommelier and had done a good job selecting wines from a variety of locations and tastes and price ranges.

Jeremy was the host the evening I ate there, and was attentive and very helpful, and seemed very knowledgeable about the restaurant, the chef and everything in general. I counted about 11 front of the house employees working while I was there which seemed plenty for good service without a sense of being hovered over.

The drinks were on the small side, but not overly so and were poured perfectly, not too strong nor weak. My filet was cooked perfectly medium and came out hot and on a clean plate. The vegetable side was a good portion and they must go to a farmers market for the veggies because the corn off the cob was absolutely the most delicious corn I've ever had, trimmed from the cob perfectly without ruining the kernals or taking the cob with the corn.

The star of the meal was my dessert. I asked who the chef was, and was told it was someone new, named Jordan. I asked if Jordan wanted to make something new, or if I should choose a dessert from the previous dessert chef's menu. For inspiration I said I love chocolate and peanut butter. About halfway through my meal I was told that Jordan was preparing something new for me.

Jordan knocked it out of the park! What I got was a PB&J by Jordan, and was phyllo dough filled with flourless chocolate brownie and berries. It came with malted vanilla icecream and was glazed over with a rum sauce. Salty and sweet and WOW! Next time I'm in Huntsville I won't miss Cotton Row to see what this 'Jordan' has done with the dessert menu!

My meal, plus dessert, and 3 rum drinks came to about $75 with tip. Not cheap for a meal by myself, but not Le Bernadin prices either, but then again, I had a filet and some rum, not a tasting menu. I could've eaten cheaper, but unless I switched to a nice wine I doubt I could've spent more.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Huntsville, Alabama
“Can't be beat, even on mediocre days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have been to Cotton Row a few times, and have been pleased each time. Now not everything has been absolutely perfect, but everybody everywhere has their off days, and even of that off day at Cotton Row, the food will be better than anything else in Huntsville.

Some of my coworkers hosted a surprise wedding shower downstairs at Cotton Row for my fiance and myself (very pleasantly surprised). Our group of 10 was seated and served quickly. The wait staff were patient with us in making our choices and did all that they could to make it great (including fighting with the soda system used by the bar on the main level to keep it from hissing/popping in the background). The food was mostly on par with our past experiences and expectations, although it seems that portions have gotten smaller over the past year.

Overall, rave reviews; it's just too bad that there isn't just a little more room upstairs or I'd be fighting for my company to continue having our holiday get-togethers there as it was always a hit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere