“Ok for families” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #50 of 487 Restaurants in Huntsville
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Doing business, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
“Ok for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Better than most Mexican food, not your usual cheesy sauces and globs of sour cream. I had shrimp and fresh mango salad with goat cheese (very small portion of cheese), my husband enjoyed his mahi tacos and my daughter commented how much spinach was in her veggie enchiladas. The guacamole made at the table is very spicy but we like it that way. Sunday night may not be the best time to visit because the staff was pleasant but seemed tired by 6 pm. Nothing to entertain a 6 year old during the wait (no crayons or menus to color) which seemed strange since there were lots of families there. Overall I guess a B+, fresh tasting food with uninspired staff.

Visited August 2013

Huntsville, AL
“Great staff, sub par food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Really a mixed bag of feelings on this review, this is what I would call a “trendy” Mexican restaurant. If you took away the name Cantina and changed the menu you would never know it was a Mexican restaurant. There was nothing in the décor or even the music that suggested Mexican food. Got seated quickly at a table that had four folding sides that made it round. The problem here was that the folding sides did not fold all the way up so when I set my silverware down it would slide right off the table.
Got the menu and actually was surprised that the prices were somewhat reasonable. Ordered some Queso dip for the chips and they needed it. You would get one that was nice, light and crisp, then you would get one that tasted stale, the one that was chewy. Saw they had a new item, Gorditas, which they described as a pita type dough stuffed with meat and peppers. When it came out it was four medallion sized pieces of dough that somewhat resembled a pita. The pocket was so tiny and thin that it fell apart and if I took the meat out of all four of them I would have had enough to maybe fill half of a 99 cent taco from Taco Bell. Plus the pita was a dense corn tortilla with a bit of a bitter taste. Needless to say it wasn’t good at all. When the waitress came by she asked how I liked them I told her not at all so she offered to get me something else. My wife had a chicken enchilada that looked ok so I said I would take one of those. While waiting I had 2 managers come by and apologize and say my enchilada would be right out. They got it out very quickly, in probably less than 2 minutes, but when she set it down it didn’t look anything like my wife’s. Upon inspection instead of being a chicken enchilada with a cheese sauce it was a beef enchilada with a red sauce. At this point I didn’t even bother I just ate it. When the manager came back over and asked how it was I told him it was fine but that I had in fact ordered chicken. He once again apologized.
When we got out bill they had not only taken off my meal but they also took off the appetizer which I thought was nice of them. So basically for a Mexican restaurant I wasn’t crazy about the atmosphere. The prices were reasonable but the food was below par, and don’t even attempt the Gorditas. But the staff, from the waitress to the managers, were some of the best. The staff is what saved it for me and will convince me to give them another chance.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Best ever food and server!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Me and my family came in. We sit down and our server Joy arrived at our table. She was very warm and friendly. She offered her advice on her favorite food and drinks. We took her up on her advice. She hit everything on the head. Cedric came by to check on us. We most definitely come back and ask for Joy.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best Guacamole”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We love this place. Gourmet mexican food in a great atmosphere.
Excellent margaritas and the best Guacamole (made at your table) in town. For a special treat ask for the Sweet Heat Margarita.

Visited July 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
“Great food/ Good for groups”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were able to reserve the back section of Cantina Laredo for our sports team families. Although we could not all sit together at big tables, it was nice to be near each other in the same area. The food was excellent. We had a big delay at the end when paying for our dinners since they had a complication when adding gratuities and separating the orders and running all the credit cards, but they were nice and apologetic. I would definitely eat there again and appreciate their willingness to accommodate our large group.

Visited June 2013