“Great Room, Great Location, Average Service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Room, Great Location, Average Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The Westin Hunstville is the only four-star hotel in Northern Alabama. My husband and I were in town for a company function, and chose the Westin based on its great location, and that it is part of the Starwood family of hotels.

Overall, it was a comfortable stay. The rooms were clean and well appointed, the lobby was bright and inviting, and the property itself has a refined and modern feel. I could nitpick at little things in the room, such as the length of time it took for the water to heat up in the shower, but generally speaking, there are no deal-breakers here, especially given the overall quality of the accommodations.

I will say as a Starwood Gold member I was a bit surprised by the lack of reception and knowledge from the front desk staff regarding the corporate loyalty program. Upon check in, I was greeted and thanked for being an SPG gold member, and told I'd earn points for my stay (something I am well aware of given my status in the program). I was told I could opt for complimentary wireless internet given my loyalty status, which I accepted... only to find out upon receiving my bill via email that I'd been charged for two days worth of wireless (the length of my stay). I followed up via phone call back to the front desk, where I was told that wireless was not complimentary at the hotel. Back and forth, back and forth, until it was acknowledged I'd been offered the wifi at check-in, and the charge was removed.

This was in addition receiving a room assignment facing the parking lot. After arriving in our room, my husband went back to the front desk to as if the room was really their best available view, and was told yes, that was the best they could do. I tweeted a comment to @SPG on Twitter, and evidently, SPG corporate reaching out to the hotel had us relocated within 20 minutes to a room facing Bridge Street Town Center and a partial lake view.

Again, neither of these issues are deal-breakers, and the hotel itself is a great property, but I was less than impressed with some of the front desk staff and either their ignorance or unwillingness to accommodate frequent Starwood travelers, and make them feel welcome. That being said, I'd likely stay here again the next time I'm in Huntsville, but it will largely due to the quality of the room and the great location - not because I feel like a valued guest.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gosia S, Manager at The Westin Huntsville, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for your four stars. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback from your stay. It is great to know that you have enjoyed your accommodations. Indeed, the location of the hotel is wonderful, walking distance to Bridge Street Town Center. We are sorry to hear that you have experienced some trouble with the SPG level recognition as well as your room preferences and location. We are glad to hear that the problems were resolved to your satisfaction during your stay. We have shared your feedback with our staff members and will use it to correct these matters. Thank you for being our loyal SPG Gold member and your confidence in our ability to improve where we felt short during your last stay. Happy New Year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We wanted to show our appreciation to our office staff so decided to take them to Bridge Street Mall in Huntsville. Prior to arrival Josi was a wonderful planner. Upon arrival everything was ready and we had a very smooth check in. We were able to get early check in as well. All rooms were superb, we were extremely pleased with all dining and service through out our event. Great location to shops as well. Highly recommend this place for a weekend getaway or larger planned event. The hotel staff made us all feel very welcome and special. Thank you Bridge Street Westin.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your superb review. We are glad that Josi did a fantastic job with planning and executing your event at the hotel. We are pleased to hear that everything went smooth with your stay and your event. Happy New Year from all of us at the Westin Huntsville!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Very nice modern style 5 year old hotel. Coupling the attractive price with good friendly service, fresh breakfast buffet (customized eggs, berries, etc), up to date 24/7 gym, is a winning combination. Overall a very good value.

Media, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I take occasional business trips to HSV. We usually try to book our entire group in this hotel. It lives up to the Westin name. The front desk has always been very accommodating to our group.

It is very close to Redstone Arsenal and also to my employer's local offices. Specifically being at Bridge Street is no more convenient to me -- I don't have time to shop, and I don't like any of the restaurants in the shopping center. (The adjoining tavern's closing did not help.)

The rooms are very comfortable, and I've always slept well. This last trip I had to take a handicapped accessible room, which I recommend against unless required. Instead of the dual-head, glass showers (which have great water pressure and capture the warmth), this bathroom had a roll-in shower with a single, low-volume, hand-held nozzle. The shower head isn't high enough (and I'm short). Water escaped the shower onto the floor, especially from under the sink -- a 1-inch floor barrier could be installed along the sink to prevent this without reducing accessibility. Likewise, water sprayed onto the top of the sink, dousing my electric appliances; a small side barrier would easily block this.

The other problem with the accessible room was the thermostat placement. It's between the bed and the window. Not enough room to wheel up to it, but enough of a gap that leaning over from the bed would risk falling off.

I was also disappointed by the whirlpool, which was cold even though the pool area was at sauna-level temperatures.

Lastly: pay-for-internet access? Really?

I like this hotel and hope to return, but the issues above (along with lack of personally appealing restaurants within walking distance) brings the Westin back to the pack.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Gosia S, Manager at The Westin Huntsville, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and 4 stars. We appreciate your repeat business. It is great to hear that we meet the standards that you observe at other Westins. Thank you for noticing that our front office team is customer service oriented. We are glad to hear that you like our accommodations and visit frequently. Thank you for your feedback about accessible rooms. Please note that all our accessible rooms and bathrooms are in compliance with ADA regulations. The barrier you mentioned sounds like a nice solution, yet it would not pass the ADA regulations in an accessible room. We apologize that the whirlpool water temperature was not warm enough. Our Chief Engineer is looking into it right away. We also frequently check on the guests using the hot tub and always ask for their preferred water temperature. We are happy to adjust it up or down based on your preference. Feel free to contact me directly next time you are in Huntsville for restaurant recommendations. There are approximately 20 restaurants within walking distance, yet I will be happy to provide you a list of great restaurants (chain and off-chain) in Huntsville based on your dining preferences. Warm greetings from all of us at the Westin Huntsville! Gosia Sullivan 256-428-5408.
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed here for a conference a couple weeks ago. When I first pulled up around 6pm, in a rush to meet the shuttle, and there was NO ONE out front at the valet stand. I waited for 15 minutes or so before I finally just went outside to get someone. Then, still in a rush, I went to the front desk to check-in and had to wait even longer--not because there was a line (I was the only person there) but because the front desk girl was chatting on a personal call. I finally got my key, rushed to my room, threw my things down and went back to the lobby to catch the shuttle.

After the opening party, I arrived back to my room to find it infested with beetles. I called to ask for a room change; there were no available rooms in that huge hotel. I decided to take a shower instead but there were clumps of black hair in my bathroom; it did not appear to have been cleaned after the last guests. I tried to go to sleep instead but there was a party--which I initially thought was in the room beside me but nope, it was DOWNSTAIRS in the lobby--and all of the noise traveled up through the vents into my room. I have never been in a hotel where you could hear everything else going on from other floors via the vents! It was crazy--and seeing as it was 11pm and I'd been up for 20 hours at that point having flown in from Seattle, I wasn't having any of it. I called again and asked for a new room; again, they told me they were sold out. Well, could you get me a room at another hotel? Nope, the city is sold out, they told me. (I called the Hampton across the street and found out indeed, that was not true.)

In the end, I didn't even stay overnight and checked out at nearly midnight and drove the two hours home in the pouring rain rather than be kept awake by a party on another floor and beetles dive-bombing my head. So yeah, would NOT recommend this place at all. Management needs some schooling on how to properly run a hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you taking the time to post a review and share your stay experiences.
We would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay. Your comments have been reviewed and investigated by management. Our records show that you arrived at the hotel around 6pm during a very busy time when the hotel has just finished welcoming the Wounded Warriors (WW) arriving for their one week of celebrations. This an annual event and the hotel was extremely busy that day with over 600 people on site including honored guests, visitors, motorcades, media and police escort who all gathered to honor our wounded military personnel. Moreover, we also had several guests arriving for the event that you were attending, the Social Media conference. I am sad to hear that during the commotion (the second motorcade arriving around 5:30pm), we were not prompt with offering valet services to you. Anticipating that we would be extremely busy that day, we have increased staffing in all areas to ensure smooth operations. Our lobby camera confirms that a valet associate opened the door for you and you proceeded to the check-in area. The camera shows approximately 2 minute wait time which is within with our corporate standards. I understand that when waiting in line, even for a minute can feel like a very long time, especially after travelling for 20 hours. The hotel camera shows that our front desk agent was assisting another guest when you proceed to the counter. We apologize that she made an impression of conducting a personal matter, yet she was assisting a hotel visitor.

Due to the WW events and the Social Media conference, the hotel was sold out on Nov 6th. I would like to apologize that other guests disturbed your peace during your stay. We take these matters very seriously. We strive to quickly determine the cause of the noise and deal with it.

When you called to request a move to another room around 10:30pm, the hotel was already at full capacity with no arrivals left for the day. Therefore we did not have any other rooms to offer that night to accommodate your move. All hotels in our proximity had confirmed their sold out status with us around 8pm that day. The Manager on Duty (MOD) met with you and explained the situation. The MOD addressed the noises that were coming from the room above and offered temporary solutions. As in any hotel, we occasionally get noise complaints and treat them as a very serious matter. I confirmed that noises originating in the lobby cannot be heard on the guest room floors. I also confirmed the noises you heard came from a room above. Unfortunately some guests organized a gathering in one of their rooms. They were warned and asked to terminate the gathering since they were disturbing you.

It is our goal to ensure that every guest has a relaxing and enjoyable stay. Therefore we regret that you did not have a positive experience due to all the circumstances. Let me assure you that your situation was an isolated event. The Social Media event was a major success. The event organizers and the attendees have sent an avalanche of positive comments, letters and reviews from their 4 day stay. We are confident that you would have had an overall pleasant, relaxed and satisfied stay if you had decided to stay with us for the entire event, instead of checking out five hours after checking in. The Westin Huntsville currently ranks #5 among all Westins in North America for guest satisfaction, services and loyalty.

We will utilize your feedback to continue improving our services and become the #1 Westin in North America.

Please accept our apology for all the inconveniences. Feel free to contact me directly to arrange for a relaxing visit next time you are in Huntsville.

Gosia Sullivan
256-428-5408.
Tuscumbia, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

The Westin Hotel at Bridgestreet in Huntsville, AL, is a great place for a girl's shopping weekend. It's beautiful, comfortable and it anchors a great shopping venue with good restaurants. My daughters and I have made a yearly tradition of spending our birthday weekend there. It is a highlight of our year!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had a girls weekend and this was the perfect location for that! It's right in the Bridge Street Towne Center. How awesome is that?! Service was excellent, rooms were fantastic. Couldn't ask for a better place. Will be staying here again next year!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Gosia S, Manager at The Westin Huntsville, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your great review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay during your Girls Weekend. It is great to know that the guest rooms, services and the location were superb for your needs. See you next year!

Been to The Westin Huntsville? Share your experiences!