“Hickory chicken was good!” 4 of 5 stars

4330 Creekside Ave., Hoover, AL
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
The Colony, Texas
“Hickory chicken was good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My mom and I were driving from Florida and decided to stop here (before heading to the nearby Holiday Inn on John Hawkin's Parkway to sleep for the night). I was meeting a childhood friend and she suggested this place (which used to be Johnny Carino's). We didn't realize it until we walked up to the restaurant. I didn't know the area, so I pretty much just went with it. To our surprise, (although the service was slow), the food was quite good, I had the hickory chicken. It came with a side of grilled zucchini and rosemary mashed potatoes. I don't know what kind of sauce they put on it, but dang, it was good. Perfect portions at mediocre prices. Not too expensive, but not cheap either. The one thing they didn't have was sweet tea. Really? No sweet tea in the state of Alabama? Not a big deal, I just ordered an unsweet instead and added sugar. It didn't take away from our visit by any means. If we ever happen to be passing through in the future, we will stop here again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

AL
“Love the food and atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Heard about this place from a friend who goes every week. It is located in Patton Creek and open for lunch, dinner AND (my favorite) Sunday Brunch!! Took my family last Sunday and we all loved the food and the great wait staff! Tons of fun and awesome Sweet Potato Cassarole!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alabama
“Not good at all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Went for a company lunch. Almost everyone's food was cold, undercooked, or wrong. Had the filet and crab cake special. Filet was cold, crab cake was under cooked and onion rings were bar quality. We won't be back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham -Alabama
“Third visit - more impressed - stick with beef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My church group and I ate at this property for lunch today. It was my third visit, and I am more impressed. I had wine and chips at the first visit, and I had the beef lunch special on the second visit. The beef was from a local speciality deli (Mr. P's) and it was quite good. The same special was not available and I ordered the hamburger steak ($12.99) off the menu. I recommend the same. We arrived at 11:30 A.M., left at 01:00 P.M., and we were almost the only customers. The server (Kenny) was attentive and got our orders correctly. Stick with the LaCrema Chardonnay ($9.00), instead of the house Chardonnay.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, Alabama
“Quality - You Betcha!!! - 2 Times So Far and Great Food Both Times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This new locally-owned family restaurant is DEFINITELY worth your time and money!!

We used to patronize this location when it was Johnny Carinos and for a few years we
enjoyed our dining experience there, however, the last yr or so that Carinos was open, we definitely noticed a decline in the quality of the food, the staff (in general) and the lack of upkeep on the property and were disappointed to see them close.

But that's not where the story ends - since Creekside Tavern has opened it's doors, we have
enjoyed the freshened-atmosphere, the food quality (and selection) and the staff reminds us
of 'old-school' things like; folks who actually take pride is serving the public! What a concept
anymore!!! And there appears to be a true team-concept when it comes to making sure the
customer is satisfied with several people other than our assigned server coming by our table
with a very friendly smile or 'hello' making us feel very welcome, yet not over-served.

The Cajun-Shrimp Pasta was P-E-R-F-E-C-T! Seriously, it was awesome - not too spicy,
not too anything, and the best part, it wasn't cranked up with a ton of sodium!!! And you
can get it with chicken also.

Recently one of the on-line discount coupon kiosks offered Creekside Tavern Coupon specials
and we made sure we purchased the maximum number of discount-offers. You can call them
and ask where they may be running other coupon specials too!

It may sound like we could be family or being paid to say the things we've said but that isn't the
case - we've just had great dining experiences ALL THE WAY AROUND and felt it was the right
thing to do to give credit where credit was due!!!

Best of the future to 'ya Creekside Tavern and Thank-you for opening your doors!!

ps. Part of the decor is a young local artist that does seasonal-selections using
oversized chalkboards as their canvas! Really cool stuff!!! Awesome talent she is!!!

• Visited April 2013